Dorcy Super 1 watt vs. Fenix L1P

mr_bb

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved my Fenix (Thanks 4sevens for the FAST shipping!) today and compared it to the Dorcy Super with both having fresh batteries the Fenix is not as bright seemingly but has a much smoother and more white beam with a tighter hotspot. Haven't tested for throw as it still light outside and just used a blacked out room for the comparison.

I must say that for what it is I am very pleased with this light.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Dorcy Super 1 watt the one that uses 3 D size batteries? Which ever it is, I wonder if it uses direct drive? If so, the Fenix will put out a more constant brightness too.

InfidelCastro

Banned
They're both good lights. The Dorcy CR123A is my favorite EDC led light currently. The runtime plot is very impressive as well, stays at full brightness for a very long time and the beam is very white IMO. If only they'd come out with a CR123A version of the Fenix, the Dorcy would have some real competition. I knew right away when I bought it and fired it up that I had a winner.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to CPF for the news on the Dorcy 123 being on sale at Sears for $19.99!
I bought one for $29.95 on Dec 24th . I returned it yesterday (apparently my Sears has no price guartantee etc) and bought TWO for a total of $40.!:)

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
tsask said:
Thanks to CPF for the news on the Dorcy 123 being on sale at Sears for $19.99!
I bought one for $29.95 on Dec 24th . I returned it yesterday (apparently my Sears has no price guartantee etc) and bought TWO for a total of $40.!:)

Is this this on sale? I can't get out there until the weekend?

tvbi

Newly Enlightened
I just checked online and it's still on sale until the 31st.. I'll get one for sure now :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I admit that I haven't tried the 123 Dorcy but Quickbeam got more total output AND more throw out of the Fenix so I'm at a loss as to how any part of the Dorcy could be brighter than the Fenix.
thinking.gif

Plus, with the Fenix on an NiMH or Lithium cell, it gives almost the same runtime as the fatter and wider Dorcy... I'd just rather have the trimmer Fenix myself. The other 'features' of the Fenix such as HAIII (of questionable quality) and glass lens (which I do like) will come down to personal preference.

onthebeam

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Well, I admit that I haven't tried the 123 Dorcy but Quickbeam got more total output AND more throw out of the Fenix so I'm at a loss as to how any part of the Dorcy could be brighter than the Fenix.
Yes, but Quickbeam says he does his reviews immediately with fresh batteries. Compare the brightness charts after 10 minutes and the Dorcy comes out way ahead. It stays up at 100% for nearly 90 minutes. Never seen a chart like that! Tempted to go over to Sears and pick one up.

rp42995

Newly Enlightened
get one , there great I picked up a Dorcy at sears today of course I took it apart to see what Lux I had in it only to find a RWAJ in there. :rock: great light even the reflector is decent it is worth buying!!! for $19.99

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam said:
Compare the brightness charts after 10 minutes and the Dorcy comes out way ahead.

Well... at one and a half hours, the Dorcy looks like it's 25% brighter than the Fenix on the NiMH cell and a lot of folks can't tell the difference between two lights when one is 25% brighter than the other so they are essentially still the same brightess and even with the decreased brightness, the Fenix should still have the same throw.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just for the same of discussion... For me, it still comes down to the size and the form factor. I'm sure the Dorcy is a nice light and I have no doubt I'll pick one up but I can't quite imagine I'll carry it over the Fenix.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found my Sears has them, and was about to get one on the way to work today. But I think like Cratz, I'll wait. The one thing stopping my purchase is the lack of a holster or clip. Any light bigger than a Arc or Fenix should either come with a holster, or have one readily available. And my new discovery of the Maxfire LX with a holster was one of the deciding factors for me, in buying that over a G2.
Also, I really don't think I'll use it if I can't easily carry it on my hip. I already have a SL TT 2L that is on bedroom duty(meaning it doesn't see any action), because it's too big to fit in my Nite-Ize holster.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
jayflash said:
How does the Dorcy compare in size to the L1 Fenix & Nuwai Q3?

I don't have a Q3 but I can compare it to a SF E1 with KL1 head... about the same length, Dorcey is a little fatter. Compared to the L1... is 1/3 again as big as the L1. Hope that helps!

Dorcey is a nice light @ $30, it's a fantastic light at $20. All my Sears stores are out of stock or I'd have another one.

Bill

InfidelCastro

Banned
cratz2 said:
thinking.gif

Plus, with the Fenix on an NiMH or Lithium cell, it gives almost the same runtime as the fatter and wider Dorcy... I'd just rather have the trimmer Fenix myself. The other 'features' of the Fenix such as HAIII (of questionable quality) and glass lens (which I do like) will come down to personal preference.

Yep, I guess it is. Personally I like my Dorcy. I paid $29 for it at Sears before they went on sale for $19, but that's ok. I got a really good one. I've heard some of them have a slightly tinted beam, mine is perfect snow color like it was binned and very bright, I'd gladly buy it again for the same price. And the runtime at 100% output is outstanding!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I paid $29 for it at Sears before they went on sale for $19, but that's ok. I got a really good one. QUOTE]
same with me, have you considered returning the one you have or could you get a price guarantee?
I bought mine on the 23rd then went back yesterday and returned it. i dont know if sears has a 30 day price guarantee etc it seemed easier to return it and start anew. I bought 2! I agree that I was VERY happy with mine at 29.95
I admit I ignored the DORCY super 1 watt initally I guess i've become a "led snob" I figured retailers wouldnt offer the same value.. until I read the review then everything changed! I snapped up the last one @29.95 then returned yesterday and picked up 2 more. they are out again.
comparing the FENIX and Dorcy I would say the Dorcy puts out more light, after all it's running on a CR 123. I have the Fenix on my keychain. I share the regret that the Dorcy is not set up for keychain carry.

Last edited:

ledaholic

Enlightened
I went by Sears today and picked one up. Nice and bright with good tint. I took it apart and was surprised to see it is direct drive. It is built just like the Sams Club Element. There is virtually no heat sinking as the star is mounted in plastic. The bin in mine is RYOH. Measured the current at 650 ma with the Everedy Photo Lithium that came with it.

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
We have to keep the mind the the Fenix is running on only a AA. The fact that it has comporable output and runtime to CR123-powered lights really says something about the engineering (and in the Nuwai Q3's case, a CR123 and a three watt Luxeon).

Not all of us want to constantly order CR123's online, especially if you're like me and will probably forget to order more when you run out. Then when your light is dead and you need it, you'll have to drop $8 at Radio Shack to get one to hold you over.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

tvbi

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine, it has a Q bin and just a tiny bit brighter than my L1P

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
What is the tint of the Dorcy 1 Watt lights.... good bin code? users having good luck with the "lottery" here ?? I may want one of these lights...just dont want the hassle of trying to find a good one by returning lights to try another sample. I want to avoid that. Are the Dorcy 1 Watt lights generally pretty white in tint ???