General purpose light - HDS vs. Peak CPF vs. Fenix

hquan

Enlightened
I've ordered a tigerlight to take care of my throw and brightness needs. I'd like to get a LED general purpose light (for the long run times) - but can't seem to decide between these 3. I really haven't read up on the Peak special yet... but a 12 hour run time sounds great.

This light would be used for mundane things like walking the dog, looking under the couch, looking under the sink, etc. What would you recommend?

By the way, my sweet spot is $100 or less... though I may go higher if persuaded...

Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IIRC the Peak is a direct driven light that runs bright and short on a Li-Ion or long and dim on a CR123 which doesn't sound too cool for general purpose in my book. The Fenix is good and versatile but might lack in the ruggedness department (switches gone bad). The HDS has the most features and high-tech to offer here but you'd have to cope with a multi-click uC switch which is a very personal preference thing.
If a somewhat bigger size isn't a concern you might wanna look at the SF A2 or L2, too. Those offer 2-stage capacity with cool ruintimes on the low mode.
Further more there's the JIL in that price range that is smaller and runs on a CR2 for more than 1h runtime ... or the McLuxIII-PD as the counterpart to tha HDS with a less complicated switch, but it is significantly more expensive.
The Amilite offers high brightness and a relatively short runtime on 1x123 and lacks the 2-stage capacity but is well within your price range.
bernie

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a long running general purpose led light, the HDS is the only one of those three that fits the description, and it's out of your price range even in the Basic 42 setup. I'd say just get an Arc AAA or Gerber Infinity Ultra or Peak Matterhorn or something else in that general category, and use those powerful incans for when you need more output.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Get a standard Peak LED luxeon light, such as the Caribbean 1XCR123, you won't regret it.

I agree...for general purpose, I'd go with the Glacier Bay. Not quite as bright as the Caribbean, but longer run-time, doesn't get nearly as warm, and it IS bright enough for most tasks. Also, the pocket model is so small that it's virtually undetectable in the bottom of your pocket!

As far as the switch issues that have been mentioned about the Fenix, realistically they've been few and far between. IMHO, the Fenix L1P is a great little light that I think would fit your needs nicely as well. Use of AA cells is a definite plus!

PJD

hquan

Enlightened
I'll take a look at the normal Peak lights. Until I found out about the CPF special, I had never heard about Peak... But now i'm more addicted - err.. knowledgable.

Good to know that the 12 hours for the CPF special is dim - and with a different battery. I think that I would've been disappointed with it.

I've though long and hard about the A2, but didn't think that I'd use the incand. part of it - if I needed that much light, I'd just use the tigerlight. Also, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the LED light for the A2 isn't as bright as the HDS or Fenix.
With the CPF discount from OpticsHQ, the HDS just comes into reach! :rock:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94341

Actually, I've been calculating to see if i could stretch to get the HDS 60 instead of the HDS 42...:naughty: I also like the idea of using 123's vs. AA batteries. I like the shelf life and the fact that I'll still have a light should the tigerlight be fully discharged.

Last edited:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
I basically carry two 1AA lights on me for EDC. One is the Xnova 8 LED and the other is the Fenix. The Xnova sits in the pocket and is used when I don't need too much light and the Fenix is standing by on my belt if there ever is a need for more light. Oh darn, I shouldn't lie, I also have a Pelican M6 in my other pocket sitting there just in case the fenix doesn't put out enough light. Yeah, I know, I carry too much in my pockets.

Good thing is, the Xnova lights are only about 6 bucks, so if it gets banged up in the pocket no big deal, I can get another one no sweat.

hquan

Enlightened
The fact that the Fenix and the HDS are EDC are a bonus - I'm really just interested in a general purpose light.

I did look into Peak lights - though doubt that I'll purchase one - based on what I saw in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98646

They sound like great lights, but I was way turned off by the way they handled JML's complaint. I would actually rather buy an lesser product from a company with outstanding customer service, than a better product from a company with less customer service...

I guess that means the HDS for me! Thanks for all of the input.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i wouldn't call that one thread representative of the good folks at Peak, who have been very helpful to myself and others in the forum, and in fact, in my situation, bent over backwards for me.

we're all human, and make mistakes at some point. i won't comment directly any more on that thread because i'm sure i'm not aware of everything that went on around it, but in general, it'd be a sad world when no one is allowed at least one mistake and a chance to do things right.

regarding your own dilemma, a multi-stage light like the HDS (or jil initelli, dspeck's firefly, mclux pd, etc) probably suits your needs best, giving you a variety of outputs and runtimes with it. the peak CPF special is all about power, damn the runtime. the fenix is an elegant solution imho at a low price point. it doesn't do any one thing spectacularly, but is a well put-together package at a low price point. with a 2-stage mod from 4sevens, it's even more useful.

anyway, best luck in your decision and a very merry x'mas to you =)
somy

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
hquan said:
I guess that means the HDS for me! Thanks for all of the input.

WORD. The best buy i ever made, even my basic-60 has more then enough modes for my needs. VDG

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS is probably the best out of your choices. A Basic will do the job just fine. The 10 lumen Primary is enough for most around-the-house stuff, and bright enough to walk the dog and not step on a broken beer bottle and enough for traffic to see you. Runtime even with rechargables is quite long. Full brightness is a couple of clicks away if you need it.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
hquan said:
...This light would be used for mundane things like walking the dog, looking under the couch, looking under the sink, etc. What would you recommend...
For basic things like that, almost any light would do. The ones you listed are all good. Even a Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA would do fine and it's only about $25.

My personal preference for an around the house light is one with variable output. For some night tasks a single level light is just too bright. Even walking the dog you often want reduced brightness. I walk at night and with dark adapted eyes, when I crank my U2 to max, the reflection off a white sidewalk is blinding. Even a fixed two level light is pretty good, if the levels are properly chosen. To me, a two level light is a minimum requirement. I have several fixed and variable output lights, but for the tasks you mentioned I end up using the variable output lights.

I really like the HDS U60, since it has a very low setting that preserves night vision. If super long run time is important (say during an extended power outage), the HDS will run for hundreds of hours continuously on 0.3 lumens, or on the lowest setting (U-series) over 1,000 hours.

If you want small size the Peak and Fenix are nice. If you want really small, the Jil CR2 or upcoming CR2 ION are tiny, yet put out plenty of light. The upcoming Peak Luxeon 1x AAA is also a possibility.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merry Christmas.

Having lived with an HDS U60 & Fenix L1P as EDCs may I add some observations?

The Fenix is a size and shape that work for me: it's a beautifully designed tool like the Inova line - it feels like quality. NiMH or lithium AA cells will give you at least two hours or more of good brightness. Even SureFire switches go bad or come that way from the factory. I've had no problems with my Fenix.

I'm glad that other CPF members convinced me to get an Ultimate model when pondering an HDS purchase last July. Without the U features one cannot turn the light on to it's last brightness level: it always defaults to the primary 10 lumen setting...which cannot be adjusted on the Basic version. Adjustability of the four levels is more important than I originally thought; it's become a very useful feature for me. The U also lets one add a regular momentary or tactical clickie function to the switch. The other strobe, finder, S-O-S, features may be an unexpected plus; I've used the strobe.

The $30 extra for an Ultimate is a small % extra that makes the HDS a much more useful light, for me, and even a better value because I would have considered the Basic to have been a compromise for an otherwise great light.

While the 60 won't be tremendously brighter than the 42 it should be somewhat more efficient and allows one to ID an object a little further away. It also gives another step between the factory set primary level and max.

I changed my primary level to about 20 lumens which puts it in the Fenix, Q3 etc, ballpark; 10 was just too low for me. I've also varied the other levels at times to better match the mission. For me the Basic would have not saved $30: it would have been a mistake. Also, for me, I'm glad I got the 60, for the next bump of $30, though it's less important. I'd rather have a U42 than a B60.

I'm happy that others took the time to give me facts, opinions, and info to chew on before buying my U60. There were things I hadn't thought about before others illuminated everything for me.

Good Luck.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience you might be better suited with going for a Surefire L4 and wait for the Peak Ocean.

This way you'd have;
1) a Long throw light
2) a small pocketable flood type light
3) a keychain EDC light running off of common AAA cells

NFW

Newly Enlightened
joema said:
My personal preference for an around the house light is one with variable output. For some night tasks a single level light is just too bright. Even walking the dog you often want reduced brightness. I walk at night and with dark adapted eyes, when I crank my U2 to max, the reflection off a white sidewalk is blinding. Even a fixed two level light is pretty good, if the levels are properly chosen. To me, a two level light is a minimum requirement. I have several fixed and variable output lights, but for the tasks you mentioned I end up using the variable output lights.

My thoughts exactly.

The Nuwai TM-301X-3 is a two-cell light, so a little bigger than the options given by the original poster, but it's two-stage and only about $45.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the HDS EDC, got a U60XR and U85, am continually reminded of their practicality and versatility, but my new acquisition the fenix l1p and l2p have stolen my heart and become EDC staples. It is such a well rounded solid little performer its difficult to find fault. And I'm typically a UI-based High flux Lux III fanatic who yawns at 60 lumens, nonetheless the sheer mod support and functionality has reopened my eyes to the potential of the Lux I. The little Fenix caught me by suprise.

hquan

Enlightened
As this will most likely be an infrequently used item, I'd prefer to go with 123's - that way I'm sure that it'll work when I need it. If the Fenix took 123's I'd probably buy it instead - especially given the price difference.

I don't know anything about Nuwai - I'll have to look into that.

The SF L4 is a bit pricier than I want to go... My sweet spot is $100... and the HDS B42 just fits that spot.

It's good to know that the extra lumens from the HDS 60 don't have a significant impact in real world use. I've looked for an HDS U 42 but can't seem to find one... Both OpticsHQ and lighthound only list the U60 - which is definitely out of my price range - almost twice my sweet spot. Any thoughts on who sells the U42 and the price range for one? The B42 is $99 on opticshq.

luxlover

Banned
jayflash said:
Merry Christmas.

Having lived with an HDS U60 & Fenix L1P as EDCs may I add some observations?

The Fenix is a size and shape that work for me: it's a beautifully designed tool like the Inova line - it feels like quality. NiMH or lithium AA cells will give you at least two hours or more of good brightness. Even SureFire switches go bad or come that way from the factory. I've had no problems with my Fenix.

I'm glad that other CPF members convinced me to get an Ultimate model when pondering an HDS purchase last July. Without the U features one cannot turn the light on to it's last brightness level: it always defaults to the primary 10 lumen setting...which cannot be adjusted on the Basic version. Adjustability of the four levels is more important than I originally thought; it's become a very useful feature for me. The U also lets one add a regular momentary or tactical clickie function to the switch. The other strobe, finder, S-O-S, features may be an unexpected plus; I've used the strobe.

The $30 extra for an Ultimate is a small % extra that makes the HDS a much more useful light, for me, and even a better value because I would have considered the Basic to have been a compromise for an otherwise great light.

While the 60 won't be tremendously brighter than the 42 it should be somewhat more efficient and allows one to ID an object a little further away. It also gives another step between the factory set primary level and max.

I changed my primary level to about 20 lumens which puts it in the Fenix, Q3 etc, ballpark; 10 was just too low for me. I've also varied the other levels at times to better match the mission. For me the Basic would have not saved $30: it would have been a mistake. Also, for me, I'm glad I got the 60, for the next bump of $30, though it's less important. I'd rather have a U42 than a B60.

I'm happy that others took the time to give me facts, opinions, and info to chew on before buying my U60. There were things I hadn't thought about before others illuminated everything for me.

Good Luck.

jay,
Ho! Ho! Ho! to you too.....

Your plug of any HDS Ultimate light is the best, most accurate testimony I have read so far....anywhere. How true that an extra $30 buys so much, compared to any flavor Basic model. Indeed, it seems more logical to own a U42 than a B42/60 model.

The charm of CPF is that when a person is indecisive about a prospective purchase and needs advice, it should take no more than one day of reading the posted replies of others to come to a decision one way or another. Whatsmore, that decision will most probably make the light you bought a keeper, since it was based on the experiences of those who have already used it.