brighter light Streamlight Scorpian or Nuwai TM301X-3

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
I need a new light and can't decide between these two lights. Which one is brighter the Streamlight Scorpian LED or the Nuwai TM301X-3?

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jaslight said:
I need a new light and can't decide between these two lights. Which one is brighter the Streamlight Scorpian LED or the Nuwai TM301X-3?

I believe the Scorpion is a one watt and the Nuwai is a 3 watter... Therefore the Nuwai would be more than likely the brighter of the two.

Dave

NFW

Newly Enlightened
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpionled.htm
The Scorpion scores 1867/2600 (throw / total output)

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm
The Nuwai scores 1300/2800

So the Nuwai has a bit more flood and the Scorpion is quite a bit brighter in the center.

I don't have a Scorpion, but I do have an NF-2 LED. I suspect that the NF-2 LED is similar to the TL-2 LED, and thus would score near the TL-2 LED at 2000/2800 (slightly higher than the Scorpion) in the reviews. (I do own a TL-2 incanescent, which scored 4418/4599.)

I also own a 301x3, because it is not as bright as my Streamlights. It seems to be made for people who just need light to work on things in the dark, and retain their night vision. The 301x3 is the only one of the above that has a 'low light on' feature, and even in high-on mode the beam is like a floodlight with a small hot spot. More usable for fixing equipment in the dark.

If you feel you may need to distract an assailant long enough to dial 911, draw a gun, or just run like hell in another direction, The Scorpion would be better. The incandescent TL-2 and NF-2 would be better still, if you don't mind changing bulbs once in a while.

If you feel you may need to look repair an inanimate object in the middle of the hight, the 301x-3 would be better.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
I didnt mention the TL-2 because the TL-2 second edition has a partial reflecter which effects the beam quality where the scorpian does not.

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
NF-2 = Streamlight Night Fighter 2, a 2x123cr incandescent tactical light.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dukester said:
I believe the Scorpion is a one watt and the Nuwai is a 3 watter... Therefore the Nuwai would be more than likely the brighter of the two.

Dave

that isnt always the case, in fact, whether it uses a Lux 1 or 3 isnt the deciding factor on which is brighter. It all depends on how hard you drive the led.... so the circuitry, or lack there of, makes all the difference.

-David

NFW

Newly Enlightened
Jaslight said:
whats an NF-2?

Another Streamlight 2x123. I have a TL-2 incandescent and NF-2 LED so I can't make a direct comparison, but as far as I can tell, the NF-2 seems to be just a TL-2 with a grip ring and a clip for bezel-down carry. Both are available in LED and incandescent versions.

I used my TL-2 (incadescent) while working on my snowboard bindings in a ski area parking lot at night, and even while aiming it away from the snowboard it was still uncomfortably bright. My NF-2 LED, or the Scorpion you're considering, would probably not be quite as bad, but still... I ordered the Nuwai a day or two later and that's what's in my gear bag now.

Long story short: which light you should get depends on what you want to do with it. :)

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Scorpion LED, and it's a great light. Similar beam characteristics to the Propoly Lux 4AA, but in a much smaller package.

The TM-301X-3 is also a great light, with the advantage of two output levels.

Both are good lights. Personally I'd favor the TM-301X-3 because I think multiple output levels are very useful.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
I ended up getting the Nuwai TM301X-3. Its a nice light and amazingly small for the output that it has. I was surprised that it wasent as bright as my Propoly LUX.
Anyway I still might get the Streamlight Scorpian someday.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will like the Nuwai. I use the low setting for night walks. Its just about right (maybe a bit bright) to preserve your night vision. Good luck with the new light.

Luxman

Enlightened
I also like the Nuwai TM301X-3 very much. The two light levels are Great and the extended runtime on low allows the 123's to last a long time..

Latest posts