collection dwindling-time for fresh start?

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Ever had one of those times in life where it just feels like it's time for a new start? Maybe this is a good thing so I can replenish my collection.
  • Okay, so I just gave away two lights as gifts. One was a mod, so that was pretty hard. The other was a surefire, which is also hard to let go of.
  • Then two different people who have helped me out in different ways each asked if they could each have a 3W DD 3D mag mod. I gave them each one(those are so wonderful).
  • My PT attitude suffered a battery leak, and the reflector just crumbled. The other platic pieces are okay, but the reflector didn't survive.
  • Both my old xnovas bit the dust at the same time--one with a battery leak, and the other had one led go dim--then another, and then the last.
  • My 2d mag I modded with an array of red leds is MIA.
  • My fenix L1P was apparantly "borrowed" by a buddy who just moved away.
  • My XM3 was also apparently "borrowed" for an extended amount of time
  • My solitaire led mod with a little 12v battery got um-crushed, but we don't need to talk about that one
  • My inova buttoncell light got dropped in water, and then the batteries made a white mess
  • A lux I to lux III mod looked good until things were put back together. Now the optic can't be moved far enough to achieve proper focus.
  • I also cooked some GITD paint onto a bulb holder on my new spotlight.
So, I'm just kind of playing with my old turtle light now. Times are dark:mecry:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it is time to get a light with your name and address engraved on it. :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes we really need to start over. You're right; I notice you've had lots of good lights, but now's the time to step up to some serious firepower.

Maybe some variable-power lights are in order for you, since you've never had that experience (at least going by what you have listed). Once you've tried variable power, you can never look back. Examples include the Surefire U2 Digital Ultra, HDS series of lights, MR Bulk LionCub/LionHeart/Chameleon lights, and some others. Give it a shot, get some high end lights.

If you prefer mods, there are some nice converters.. the Fatman driver for a Luxeon V (try a LuxV, I REALLY like those LEDs) in a Mag works good! You could easily slap that in your 3D Mag. No need to worry about voltage, no need to worry about bin codes, and if you want to dim it, put in a 50k logarithmic pot with a nice knob. Try it and you might just never go back. Easy to wire too - follow the diagram, two wires (+ and -) to the switch, two wires to the pot, and two wires to the LED. I built one and it's only 4 more solder joints compared to a traditional DD Mag (of which I have built a few too). If you've come this far, what's 4 more? :)

Or try some incandescent mods for RIDICULOUS lumens :D ever seen a 2C Maglite tear open the night with 600+ OUTPUT lumens? (900+ at the bulb). Best part - doable under $80!

dim

Enlightened
As dark as these times are for you, Rover, you have given away many of your very good flashlights to friends and loved ones. That make you shine the brightest of all. You are truly enlightened.

dim