Is this normal for an Opalec Newbeam?

Raven

Enlightened
I'm trying to install an Opalec Newbeam, and I'm wondering if I've hit a snag.

I removed the "do not remove" cap, and gently pressed the newbeam module into the backplate, but the two pieces won't close tightly together.

In other words, there's a slight gap between the module and backplate.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, and since building computers has made me paranoid when it comes to putting too much pressure on electonic components, I'm wondering whether I should apply a bit more elbow grease, or try and remove the module, and try again.

For what it's worth, the module doesn't appear too eager to come back apart, either.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I don't have any experience of the early MM switches but I understand that the Opalec module doesn't fit those switches without modification. Is it conceivable that you have one of the early MM's? If you do it is ok to buy a new switch and substitute the new for old. I've done this and it is very easy to do. I've 2 Opalec modules and they both fit flush with the switch.

I do know that it is easy to break the plastic legs off the Opalec modules but that in itself needn't be a disaster as you can still mount it using a couple of other ways.

Doug

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I've put together about a dozen Newbeams. Some of them had a gap between the Newbeam and the MiniMag, but they worked OK. I don't remember if they all did or not.

Raven

Enlightened
No, this is a new model mini mag, which I purchased this week.