How do the M9 and 8NX compare?

Malpaso

Enlightened
I'm still on the hunt for a high power rechargeable. Currently I'm looking at the Pelican M9 and the Surefire 8NX. The similarities that I like are both companies have very good reputations, both light are non-metalic and both are made in the US.

The differences are:
M9 122 lumens, 8NX 110 lumens - not much difference, but some
M9 1 hr run time, 8NX 50 minutes - not much difference
M9 about $80, 8NX about $150 - big difference
M9 charges complete flashlight, 8NX charges battery out of the light - important difference
M9 comes with one battery, 8NX comes with two batteries - important since 8NX charges the battery

Any other important similarities/differences I'm missing? The charging option is big, but I don't know if it's worth twice the price.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Malpaso,

I don't have the M9, so I can't give you a comparison.

I can say that the 8NX is an excellent light.

Keep in mind when comparing performance that SureFire always tends to underestimate their specifications.

I am getting about 55 minutes of run time from the SureFire battery packs, but only about 40 from some battery packs I got off of eBay.

Another consideration is that while your 8NX battery is charging, you can still use the light because you have two batteries. Also, I believe the 8NX charger charges faster than the M9 (2 hours vs 3 hours).

In slippery conditions, the 8NX is rock solid in your hands. The pattern in the Nitrolon seems to have anticipated these kinds of conditions.

Although I am still on my original lamp after over a year of use on my 8NX, it would also be prudent to check out the price difference in replacement lamps.

Good luck with your choice.

Tom

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens can be misleading. Lumens are the rating for the bulb in a special contraption to measure light in all directions. The candle power rating for the M9 on Brightnorm's thread ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/3319 ) lists it at 20,000cp. That is more than a standard Stinger which is slightly brighter looking to me than my 8NX.

Beam shots are the best evaluation at this point to see if you like the pattern.

It looks like you are leaning to the M9. From what I have seen on a fourm search it doesn't sound like you will be disappointed. I have an 8NX but it would be nice to plug it into a charger like a Stinger or Magcharger or an M9.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M9 is an excellent light.
It has a body mounted clickie switch, the 8-series SF's have no switch at all.

The M9 uses a lamp assembly similar to the SF, but has a smooth reflector, and is REALLY tightly focused; it throws great.

The M9 can use Stinger battery sticks, as well as aftermarket NiMH sticks (but these can't be recharged in the stock charger). The B90 SF stick has an extra nipple on the positive end, and the lights don't always work correctly w/out the nipple.

I guess i prefer the M9....

--dan

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't have a Pelican M9 but I do have an 8NX.
The 8NX is operated by pressing the rubber button on the end of the body. This pushes the whole B90 Battery Stick forward and activates the light. Rotating the Bezel onto the body turns the light constant-on.

I've find the 8NX to be a supremely durable and useful performer in a variety of tasks. However, it does not have a LockOut mechanism that disables the flashlight for transport and carry. This means you kinda really need a dedicated pouch or holster that helps prevent it from activating unintentionally.

I use the 8NX as an around the house DIY light for general illumination.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
while your 8NX battery is charging, you can still use the light because you have two batteries.
Silverfox mentionned THE difference.
What is a light use, that has to be put into the charger; especially one with very limited runtime?

BUT ... I made my way from 6R to 8N to 9N,
and recommend You not to buy the 8X, get the 9N.
This is one of the smallest (point of view) but most versatile lights in the Surefire line (and the best rechargeable).

Battery sticks can easily be homemade out of 7.2 V 3400 mAh 6-cell remote-control batt packs. Good for more than 1 h 10 mins for the 9N. If You have a good charger for these (3 batt packs), order the light without charger. Saves You big bucks.

Main beam of any of the lights mentionned here is too strong to use it indoors in the dark.
(And as soon as the small bulb has faded out, You could swap in a white Led instead, improves runtime even more)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Same feeling as SilverFox and Size15's have mentioned regarding the SureFire 8NX. I've had my original SF.8X for some years now, and the original LA is still much in use with no problems. Only that I have to get another battery for it since I believe that the one (only one at that time) battery has seemed to have lived out its life expectancy.

Another idea is what Yellow mentioned with the SF.9N. I have three of those and these are certainly workhorses, although I tend to associate that more towards the SureFire 8X.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Malpaso

Enlightened
Thanks everyone, this is all great input. It seems no matter what I compare to the 8NX, I keep gravitating back to it. I guess that says something. The deciding characteristic is always the fact that the flashlight can be in use while the second battery is being charged.