Shoot, refrigerator RKI's, need help!

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Hope this is the appropriate section for this.

Old fridge (Hotpoint - manual that came with it is Pub. No. 31-5100, with a number at the top of 203C1171PO12) is losing it's cool.
Strangely, the upper freezer is doing just fine, cooling great, everything still frozen.

The lower refrigerator section isn't cooling/is losing it's cool.
I thought I noticed this earlier in the week, but it's for sure now.

Any tips? FIL sez he thinks it's low coolant levels (it's old, hasn't been serviced in a few years) but how would that account for the freezer portion still working?

Of all the weekends for the stoopid thing to get all 'act uppy.':rant:

Any help would be greately appreciated!

Wilsonite

Newly Enlightened
most likely there is ice dammed up in the airways between the two sections. remove items, unplug fridge, and leave doors hanging open for a few hours... It has become a yearly ritual at my place...

Wilson

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Wilsonite said:
most likely there is ice dammed up in the airways between the two sections. remove items, unplug fridge, and leave doors hanging open for a few hours... It has become a yearly ritual at my place...

Wilson

THanks, guy.

Yea, that seems to be the concensus.

I was planning on another fix::xyxgun:

Maybe I can rehab the old girl for a little while longer...

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
Wilsonite said:

Wilson

Yea, I agree with Wilson. Most only cool the freezer and then blow the cold air into the fridge side. I've seen several that iced up between the freezer and fridge and then the fridge side gets warm.

If it ices up again check the door gaskets/alignment. If you are constantly drawing moist room air into the fridge it will frost up very quickly.

Chris