I have this irrational urge to buy a Surefire Z2

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Despite having all it's brothers above and below (6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, E1E, E2E, L1, L2, L4, etc), hotwire and led, I have always wanted this light. I dig the way it looks, it has tradition, afterall it's the "standard issue of all FBI graduates". :) (do you think that's still true?)

Also, I think it was used on the X-files.

Plus, it look horny in black.

Is there a place for this light anymore? Has the C2Z also made it obsolete?

Maybe it's just the disease again. They say there are people who can help me. :)

Does anyone else covet this light? Owners thoughts?

Thanks,

Blue

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have one and ended up putting on the new KL3 head on it, I really like the G2Z's I have black and green and hear there are tan ones now. I need a tan one in a bad way.
Topper

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I also covet this light. I just love the way it looks. I saw one on Ebay for 50 bucks new in the box and jumped on it. It's going to be my wife's present from her to me for Christmas this year (my traditional family get-together has been delayed this year because most of my family is ill right now, so the gift exchange has been delayed til next weekend, which is when I will be getting the light). This will be my first Surefire light and I plan on getting the works for this one: KL3 LED head, clicky switch assembly, and beamshaper/diffuser. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this and playing with it some. Next weekend should prove to be very fun. :rock:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I decided to buy my first Surefire, I looked at the usual suspects.. G2, G2Z, 6P, Z2, C2... I almost got the C2 because I liked the look a lot and I kinda have a thing for clips but then I was aiming to get the KL3 gen 2 (HA black), so I looked at the Z2 instead.

The Z2 was just as sexy and it came with a lanyard and stuff, so I got that :D It fits well in hand and simply said, its a nice light.

You don't really need one of course; ya just want one. If you can afford it, just get it!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the original SureFire 6Zulu that's still in pristine condition. The only thing that I did was replace the round head with the HexHead (anti-roll) one. It's been running perfect with the P61 in it all these years since acquiring it. For me, there's not a chance that I'll turn it into LED usage. Not for this particular design.

UVvis

Enlightened
The Z2 and its plastic cousing the G2Z are probably one of the most functional and ergonomically pleasing lights in the market. Easily one of Surefire's best lights.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bluehinder,

The Z2 is a good looking light, almost has sex appeal! I've settled on the G2Z for durability, but if you like the look of the Z2, get it for its looks! :)

firefly99

Enlightened
Z2 was my 1st Surefire light.

It feel & look so good in black, that I did not have the heart to use it, in order to keep it in mint condition. Another reason for being a shelf queen, is it is not HAIII.

It is a waste to put a KL3 on Z2. Had ordered a KL5 (pending delivery)for my Z2. But KL3 on G2 is ok.

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I too have that irrational urge. I'm very curious about its mysterious brother, the Z3 which is mentioned in several places but does not appear to be currently for sale....

Anybody know anything about the Z3? The Z2 is a great looking light, I wonder how its extra cell sibling appears....

My advice is just jump in the water and buy it. I have yet to regret a SureFire purchase, except the tint on my U2 but I worked that out.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no irrational urges here, only unfulfilled needs.

Therefor you must need this light.

:devil: Buy it. :devil:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunarmodule:

My first SF was a Z3. It was replaced by the C3 a few years ago. It was a good light and had the standard 3 CR123 capability using the P90/91 lamps like the P9 light (now back for sale). It always felt good in my hand and was well made as most SF are. Works well with the KL5 module too.

fieldops

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bluehinder, I've had the same irrational urge you speak of to get a Z2, despite already having a Z2, M2, G2, 6P, A2, etc. Guess what? I just did! Now I have one for each hand :D Oldgrandpajack can hook you up with a NIB one for a great price on B/S/T; tell him I sent you!

The reasons I was drawn to it were the same as yours: Used by Agent Mulder in the X-Files, FBI standard issue, excellent looks and ergonomics, and if you need any more encouragement, read this review a few times and you'll be telling yourself you NEED one :D

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev... Combat Light/Owner Review by Dylan Anderson/

Last edited:

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
It is a waste to put a KL3 on Z2.

This is what I was planning on doing with my Z2. Why do you say it's a waste to put that head on the light?