Replacement for 6v lantern?

Germ

Enlightened
My Dad is old school and likes his 6v Eveready lantern. It is one of the big boxy flashlights with the handle on top that takes 6v lantern cells. I think he likes the form factor more than anything since it is big and flat on bottom it stays where you put it, it is easily stood on end, and is easy to pick up off of the ground. Dad is retired and would use the light for working on cars mostly and maintenance around the house.

Since Dad is old school I think he will need to see C cells or larger. After seeing a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA in action I would like the light to have a Luxeon also. I loved the whiteness of the beam.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

I've done a lot of research, but I need some help. Please help me find a light that:

1. Has the 6v lantern form factor, but is a little smaller and lighter.
2. Takes C or D cells.
3. A Luxeon bulb is greatly preferred, but multiple LED's or an incan will do.
4. Has at least the power of the ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA, but with more flood.
5. Has a long, regulated runtime (6 hours or so). My father won't use the light if it goes through batteries quickly.
6. $100 or less.

The closest light I can find is a UK C4:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_c4-8eled.htm

The C4 is a pistol gripped lantern though. The ProPolymer Luxeon 3C is close too, but doesn't have the form factor and probably doesn't have the flood I'm looking for.

Suggestions? Thanks.

DaveG

Enlightened
How about a dorcy 3 watt lantern at Sears? Item#03493676000 I dont have one but it might work out ok for you.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of excellent lanterns. The majority are incans with LED lanterns of any real power just starting to appear. At this point I still think an incan is the way to go for a lantern.

Check Pelican. They make several C or D lanterns and their stuff is top notch. Here is one I like. Laser Pro 4D. Has both a grip handle and an adjustable base. About $70.
Pelican
Of course if your Dad is anything like mine, he is quite happy to get a new $4 plastic lantern every couple of years when it craps out.

Mark

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't find an LED lantern you may want to see if the UK Vectra is still available. I can't say enough about its quality, utility and value - I bought two @ $23 ea from BrightGuy last year. It's small for a 4D, has two, switchable lamps, sturdy, adjustable, metal stand with a substantial handle on top, plus it's waterproof. The Vectra is a dive light converted into a real useful worklight with lots of runtime on alkies or NiMH cells. With NiMH cells a high wattage lamp can be substituted for one of the two, five watt lamps for some serious throw when not being used for close work.

Yooper

Enlightened
I would just mod his old lantern or buy a new one and mod it. Drop in either an XPR103 bulb from Radio Shack for $2, or a TLE-6 for $39 ) or an EverLED Reverse Polarity Diamond if you want it really bright, and sputter the reflector and you're done. I think if you use the TLE-6 you'll need to reverse the polarity of the lantern.

I picked up some 6V lanterns for $3 each on sale and modded them a bit. See my pics in this thread. I haven't tried an LED replacement yet, but that's next; I am a little worried about heat generation with the plastic reflector, lens and case.

Sputtering the reflector means to paint it lightly with several coats of clear spray paint. I've used Rustoleum Clear Enamel to good effect.

There are several 4D lanterns out there, some with LED's I think. The Dorcy 6V rubber looks like a good choice for modding. The Dorcy 6V LED lantern is ready to go, ~$50 I think. Kind of space toy looking, but works well. I'm shopping for one now...

A Streamlight LiteBox, Streamlight Vulcan, or Pelican Big D are all really nice incandescent rechargeables that might be another option....

Last edited:

Germ

Enlightened
Great ideas, thanks! I'm afraid the Dorcy is too wild looking, even for me.

I'd love to mod an existing Eveready lantern, that would be cool. If I have the time (three days of vacation left) I'll try some modding. Replacing the bulb with a XPR103 and sputtering the lens should be easy. I wish I was to the modding stage where I could put a regulated set up in there :)

Flash, you are right, Dad is perfectly happy with his old incans. I can't stand it now that I know there are so much better lights out there.

What about the 6v lantern battery? Is it a dinosaur now? I got a new Duracell 6v at the local grocery store and it was $10 (US). I imagine there are better options and prices out there for 6v batteries.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best solution to replace the standard 6V lantern battery is to find one of the 4D holders that is configured like the lantern battery. Drops in. Very slightly less mAh capacity at about ¼ the battery cost.

I found mine with some really crappy Ray-O-Vac lanterns. Kept the battery adapters and tossed the lights.

Mark

Germ

Enlightened
Yooper, I did a little research on th XPR103. This is a 3.6v bulb, right? How long is the life being overdriven at 6v? What sort of brightness increase should be expected? Will it increase battery drain? Is there a drop in 6v bulb that will work? Sorry for so many Q's.

What is the best way to prep for sputtering? I don't know if a new reflector will have anything on it or not. I imagine I'd wipe the reflector with alcohol first.

Flash, I'll look for some sort of 4 D-Cell holder. Thanks!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first two EverLEDs I bought, both ended up in normal (flashlight, not lantern) polarity lanterns for other folks that do a lot of outdoor stuff. One was in a cheap plastic lantern, the other was a nicer (about $25, I think) jobbie that floats in the water. Great runtime... very usable beam... good color... doesn't get too hot...

What I would suggest is one of the nicer lanterns and whichever EverLED is approrpiate.

Germ

Enlightened
Here is how it ended. I went to Home Depot and got an Eveready floating 6v lantern for $4.99 and a can of Rustoleum clear enamel for $3.54. At Radio Shack I got a XPR103 Xenon bulb for $2.25.

I didn't clean the reflector in the Eveready figuring I would introduce more contamination on the new reflector than I might ever take off. Getting the bulb out of the reflector was a pain. Don't try to pry the plastic piece holding the bulb out of the reflector, take some pliers and twist and pull the piece out (the piece is just pressed firmly into the hole).

After getting the bulb out I followed Yooper's instructions and sputtered the reflector. I sat the reflector on it's side and gave it one very short burst of paint and let that dry 15 minutes. I gave the reflector 5 coats this way. A good way to practice is on the end of a soda can. Put a piece of tape over any electrical contacts to avoid painting them also.

Once the reflector has dried, put the new bulb in and test the light. I had to fiddle with the electrical contacts and bend them until they had good contact with the bulb and the light switched on reliably.

The result?, a whiter beam that is smaller at the center, but with a much better spill and almost no artifacts. The new beam does a much better job of illuminating a broad area. Throw seems as good as before. Sorry for no screenshots, but the screenshots on this thread are a good illustration of what I saw: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/100752

The modded light has a yellow beam when compared to the ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA. The beam on the new Eveready is about half the size of the Streamlight, but the spill is about 50% bigger.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The xpr103 will probably burn out pretty fast on 6 volts. It's overdriven slightly at 4.5 volts and is nice and white on three D cells.

Germ

Enlightened
I saw some MagLite 4D bulbs at Orchard Supply. Is there any reason to use the XPR103's over these other than price?

While at Orchard Supply I saw some Garrity adapters for using 4 D-Cells in a 6v lantern. They were $2.99. 4 D-Cells take up about one inch less space than a 6v battery, so the adapter had a 1 inch spacer on the bottom that was hollow and could used for storage.

Dad didn't seem too impressed, so I'll stop here. If I wanted to go further I'd try the EverLED bulb. I think it is great they managed to fit the regulator into the bulb. But, at $39 for the bulb I'd prefer to just put that money toward a complete flashlight.

I'll keep an eye open for a new lantern. I would like something like a ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA on steroids for myself.

Yooper

Enlightened
The XPR103 is brighter than the Mag MagnumStar 4D Xenon bulb. It has proven to be a very robust bulb when overdriven - there are lots of reports here on cpf of them doing well for a long time at 6V, when similar bulbs (like a Mag 3D bulb) instaflashed.

Sounds like you did a good job with the sputtering, too. I haven't prepped any of my reflectors - I think they're pretty clean from the factory.

I definitely will go to a 4D adapter before buying more 6V lantern batteries. My $3 lanterns came with batteries, so I'll use them up before doing more mods.

I've found my slightly modded lanterns to be excellent lights for working on my truck - the square form factor and plastic case makes them really easy and safe to use, and the nice flood beam from the sputtered reflector is perfect.

Germ

Enlightened
cratz2, can the EverLED be used in an inexpensive plastic reflector?

InfidelCastro, I don't know what $2.99 lantern you mean, but the $4.99 Eveready is a good value. It gives pretty good light, expecially with the reflector sputtered.

My goal is for all my lights to have a beam like the Surefire E2D. That light has ruined me.

InfidelCastro

Banned
The el-cheapo lanterns you see for 2.99 2.88 ect. at Home Depot and wherever.

How do you sputter a reflector?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh... you'll have ZERO heat issues with an EverLED. Or at least, I have never had any issues. I've run a 3D Mag for several hours straight with an EverLED and there was absolutely no signs of damage.

Infidel, Here are my instructions (an Nikon's) on sputtering.

On the Xenon bulb... if it works for you, it works for you... I've never used that particular bulb on a 6V battery but I've instaflashed two Radio Shack XPR103s on 4 D cells. The 3 cell Krypton bulbs are quite bright when driven on 4 D cells. I think if I decided to use the XPR103s on the 6V battery, I'd be sure to carry a spare bulb that was either a 4 cell Xenon or something that we know 100% sure will work without blowing.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Gee... some nice ideas and I would indeed combine them into a solution.
I am talking an XPR103 from the shack, the 4 D adapter so you dont have to buy the "lantern style" battery, and 4 Nimh rechargeable D cells Amondo tch or battery station) I think 5000Mah ...at 1.2V each, the XPR103 will be happy at 4x1.2V and last longer. Then get him a Nimh charger at the Shack and he's got a nice bright soulution that he never has to buy batteries for. I am using same bulb with 4 C rechargeables and it has been very reliable for a few months now. the bulbs are under 3 bucks and with zero battery cost, even if you need a new one every few months, your doing well. Hope this helps ya'. By the way, i saw some Lantern style lights... one at the shack, two at Sears, that do not need an adapter, you can insert D cells or C cells directly. So a bulb swap and Nimh batts and your done after pick up the charger. :wave:

missionaryman

Enlightened
Hey - I just did a mod to my Eveready Dolphin 6V lantern. I used old cordless drill batteries and made it rechargeable and overdriven with excellent results for the money spent, you might want to try something similar:

Hard solder a 6 cell pack (7.2v) (D's should fit in fine for run time) into the battery case and then solder that to the contacts.
Then solder a recharging jack to the contacts to the front, assemble the light and get yourself a 7.2v plug pack (should be putting out about 9v unregulated - you can check this with a meter) and hey presto it's rechargeable and about 50% brighter. You only need to take the head off and plug the jack in to recharge.

Cost to me was $0 because I had most of the components sitting around.

bkkd

Newly Enlightened
buy him something nice like a 3 or 5 watt nuwai or something similar and see how fast that old latern thing of his goes away...