best mag drop-in mod

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I've just had Christmas Dinner with a friend who is a big Mag-Lite lover. In fact he was adamant that the AAA and AA mags he has are the best around in the 'small lights that run on standard alkaline batteries' category.

I'm sure there are a few people on this forum who'd like to set him straight. However I'm new to the whole flashlight thing. I have been looking at some of the various mods that are available, but don't really have the time/skill to perform any of them. What I would like is a nice drop in mod that I can put into this guys flashlight and show him he's an idiot.

What are the best options for best output (and best throw)? I don't want to say money is no object, but I don't mind paying extra if the performance is available. I just want to know the best options for both AA and AAA mags, so I can show my friend that Mags really aren't the best thing since sliced bread. I want to be able to ask him to compare the output of our seemingly stock mags, before mine blows his out of the water :).

If possible I would also like to be able to use a range of battery types (lithium AA when I have them charged, standard alkaline when I have to pop in to the nearest shop), but I realise this may be asking too much. What options for regulation are there?

I've had a look through the Sandwich Shoppe but many of the mods there seem very tricky and time consuming. I also don't really understand the specs of the drop in mods they offer. Any info/recommendations anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

randyo

Enlightened
The Terralux TLE-5 Ministar 2 is a "drop-in" mod that BLOWS AWAY a stock Mini-mag. Led-Replacement.com is a reliable source. There are a few versions of this module, but the latest one has the "High Dome Luxeon" led, and it is a fantastic little package.
If you REALLY want to impress him, after you blow away his Mini-mag with a Terralux TLE-5, whup out a Fenix L2P. It's also a 2AA light, similar in size but slightly smaller than a Mini-mag, and it blows away the TLE-5 mod as much as the TLE-5 mod blows away the stock Mini-mag.
You might also mention casually that a Mini-mag with a TLE-5 mod not only has around 2 to 3 times the light output, but also has 7X the runtime on a set of Alkaline batteries. If that doesn't convince him, give it up. Some people do not want to be confused with facts.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the drop in sandwiches are so easy to drop in it's scary, and you CANNOT beat their value when compared to the other mass producers' options...they run well on NIMH, NiCd, Alkaline, or lithium. better regulation and much brighter not to mention tint control over the immitations.

Nick

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Im a newbie at this, but I bought a NexGen750 with 17mm reflector, and my AA Mini Mag is my new EDC. Id recomend it. It gives my SF 6P a good run for it's money. I've only run duracell AA's in it up untill now. The LED is whiter then the incandescent lamp, so I guess that is why the Incan can apear to be brighter and "harsher" while the led is more floody and softer.

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=536

CLHC

Flashaholic
The recommendations mentioned here are great. From The Sandwich Shoppe, you can simply purchase one of the Drop-In Sandwiches and then get the McR-18 reflector to get that "SureFire Perfect Beam" patterning along with the UCL lens. You can run Lithiums, Rechargeables, Alkalines (DURACELL "Blue Line" ULTRAS) in them.

Welcome to CPF and hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

quokked

Enlightened
:wave: Welcome to CPF why don't you stay a while :)

Seriously though anything you show to him with LEDs in it will SMOKE a minimag light (until the LED versions come out), so you could mod a mag for the wow factor. Or you could go with some of the more 'exotic' lights like the Surefire range or even something like the Orb :)

AuroraLite

Enlightened
The_beast,

Welcome to CPF too!

For mag drop-in, one of the best value buy will be the Shoppe MM lite Lux I RY0J drop-in, it is simply a well balanced light for its runtime, brightness and money.

Other good drop-in choices will be the new beam Opalec for soft flood, or the new SMJ led for its extra long runtime. Both are excellent choices for Opalec has a perfect regulation while the SMJ has really long runtime.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If the Shoppe has a 3W drop in drivin at 600-800mA with a reflector, GO FOR IT!

My EDC is a Lambda LUXIII Pill with a modded stock MM reflector. Those that know about these things say "WOW" when they see it lit up.

Stick around! Hide your wallet! Buy both!

greenLED

Flashaholic
The easiest drop-in would be the TerraLux; an improvement over the stock bulb, but still "half-way there" in terms of the best. If you buy a completed sammie from the Shoppe, it's a matter of taking the stock switch out, dropping the sammie in, and you're ready to go. Getting the reflector or the optic can be tricky the first time, but even if you don't get it "perfect" the first time, it's years beyond what the stock bulb puts out. :)

Tip: add teflon tape to the miniMag's head threads (you're welcome) ;)

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
not to steal this thread but which drop in mod would you recommend for the maglite 3D?
i want something that can throw a bit and has a long runtime

randyo

Enlightened
I have 2 "drop-in" mods that work with a Mag 3D.

The Terralux TLE-6N and the DB-3W (now called TLE-DB3).
If you are looking for "throw", then the DB-3W is the obvious choice.
The TLE-6N has good output but does not have anywhere near the throw of the DB-3W.

CLHC

Flashaholic
If you decide to go with purchases from The Sandwich Shoppe, be sure to get the O-Rings they sell, since it'll prevent it from falling. I know it's just a trivial thing but it makes it easier for battery changes and such. . .

Also I'm with Randyo on what he said regarding the drop-in LED for the Maglite in 3D. Way to go on that one!

randyo

Enlightened
LED-replacement.com
They are reliable - ship as soon as they get paid - and have never let me down. Prices are usually as low or lower than you will find anywhere online.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Guess he hasn't seen a regulated Elektrolumens XM-3 ? I do agree, however, that the drop-in's are a cheap enough route to an awesome carry light !

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info.

Think I'm gonna have to buy a few more mags to put in all the different options :)

I think I'll start with one of the 750ma TW0J NexGens and see where my new found hobby will take me. I might get a TerraLux for my second minimag to give a little longer run time.

With the sandwich though, which of the options would I need (NX05, Fraen LP or the reflector)? Do I need both a new lens and new reflector?

As for the sticking around these forums - I don't know that I can afford it. Every thread I read seems to make me want to get my credit card out...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reflector will be nicer IMO as there is no expensive like hell optic to pay for and also, you can use a ucl and oring to have more scratch resistance unlike optics which scratches like hell and still mantain m@g's water resistance.