Peak Kilmanjaro 1 LED vs. Gerber Infinity Ultra

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
Is there any kind hearted wonderful soul that has both of these lights that could do give us their own runtime graphs?

I'm really interested in seeing how long these lights can run for until dead on AA Alkalines and how their beams compare.

I have an L2P for short runtime/bright work, now I need a dim light which has a very long runtime.

They may come out with an ARC AA-P eventually but I don't think it will be geared towards >10hour runtimes.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
On one of the threads, a guy mentioned that his Kilamanjaro single LED was still bright enough to walk around (slowly) in his house after running for 55 hours. The Peak will be very, very snow white (for a 5mm LED) and the Infinity Ultra will be more bluish. Hope that helps!

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I heard that the infinity ultra hits 50% at around 8 or 12 hours, but don't quote me on it.

The peak will be a little brighter and have a whiter light if that makes a difference. And it will have a harder finish, HAIII in stead of type II

CLHC

Flashaholic
Never saw a Peak product, but the Infinity Ultra that I have has a "lavender" color to it. Don't know the runtime since I gave that to my mom because of the lack-luster in its output for my tired eyes. I don't know why I even bothered buying that in the first place. It was the "look" that got me which I have to say is sturdy and well built!

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
The reason I'm looking for an AA long runtime light is because it seems to be a good sustainable setup. I study peak oil, the economic acrobatics of the US treasury and the geopolitical situation and I'm looking at moving away from dependence on the things we take for granted such as:

Gas
Natural gas
Electricity
Piped water
Global food distribution chains
Cheap long distance travel
Functioning public sewer system

In the worst case scenario, led lighting powered by solar would be fantastic. At the moment I'm not in the position to do this to my whole house because its not mine ;) I can however buy a solar powered battery charger, some long runtime LED flashlights and a stack of high capacity NiMH AAs. After all, if the world ends I still want to have a functioning flashlight!

Maybe I'll buy both lights and give the one I don't want to a friend as a late Christmas gift.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you just want a renewably-powered light, a solar charger and some nimh AA cells should run any of these lights just fine. The Peak circuit is not all that efficient and its extended runtime is at the expense of brightness.

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
I found this place:

http://vicomptel.com/CMG/infinity.htm

and 4 sellers on amazon.com that seem to be selling the old CMG version of the Inifinity Ultra. I've emailed them all to make sure they are actually selling to old design.

I thought someone here might be interested in still being able to buy these so I'll let you know if I can find someone selling the old design.