Surefire not bright enough

carrot

Flashaholic
Once upon a time, I thought my Surefire G2 was bright enough for me. I didn't want anything brighter. But then I play with the Thor 15MCP I got for xmas, and suddenly my Surefire seems so weak. Looks like I've got the lumen bug now. Bye bye wallet.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
These days a Surefire incandescent has to put out at least 225 lumens to justify its place in my collection.. LEDs need to be LuxVs!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I guess that the 5 and 10 million CP spotlights can sometimes make smaller flashlights seem insignificant. However, if you consider the size and weight difference the performance of the smaller SureFires does shine through. For example the M6 is a master for it's size. You can't put a Thor in your jacket pocket!

Al

DigMe

Enlightened
My Mag951 outshines my dad's MCP spotlight. I don't remember what the brand of the spotlight is. I think he got it at Wal-Mart...maybe brinkmann.

brad cook

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Without knowing much about Thor I suppose the comparíson between it and SF is misguiding since its pretty much different kind of lights. Better to compare it with a SF vehicle mounted kind of light. But anyway, I am a bit interested in the Thor. Where can I find one? I mean, I have decided to buy the SF M6 so I need another objective in this world of flashlights. :p

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing happened to me: first it was the G2, then the P61 lamp, next came a TL-3, UK Vectra with an 18 watt lamp. Now I just pull my new Harbor Freight HID in a small wagon behind me.

BBL

Enlightened
I just bought an 8" / 600W / 230V / 20° theater spot ... get used to this amount of light and you suddenly lose your interest in flashlights. At least I did for the first few days
At EUR 80,-- it has the potential to save money :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
Same thing hapenned to me a while back. I took out my old 4D Mag, put new batteries in it, and fired it up. It was about as bright as my Pila GL3 with depleted batteries... for the size difference, I'll stick to the Pila any time. Thinking about the size-to-light ratio helped me shake off the feeling my lights were not bright enough. :)

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Carrot, that's comparing apples to oranges. The designed application is totally different. SureFire is primarily designed for short burst of bright light and small enough to not get in the way. Law enforcement usage comes to mind. They have tons of other gears on them, like gun(s), body armor, etc. They can't bust in a home with a cumbersome Thor. They can't mount a thor on their weapons. Just not the right tool.

Comparing a Thor to a surefire is like some guy saying "Yeah man, I can carry 3 tons of stuff in my truck, and that Honda Civic can't."

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like what Al and Warhoggie and others have said. . .Unless you expect to carry the Cyclops Solutions LLC Thor with you at all times. Try EDCing that for a week. . .

Also if you like how the light "appears" to you on that Thor, try a side-by-side comparison with that Harbor Freight HID that can be had in that link I posted for you asking about your newly acquired 15MCP Thor. . .You'll see!

Last edited:

Meduza

Enlightened
BBL said:
I just bought an 8" / 600W / 230V / 20° theater spot ... get used to this amount of light and you suddenly lose your interest in flashlights. At least I did for the first few days
At EUR 80,-- it has the potential to save money :D

Buy one of these, lots of light for quite a little money nowdays if you buy a used :)

2000w, Rating at 253.000cds... @ 24m...

Handles one of these at my school a few times a month and... my flashlights feels like small M@g solitares or something in that range ;)

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC'ing a Thor for a week might have other helpful applications though....

For one, it'll be easy to shed the holiday kilos from overeating, and you might just have arms like Thor himself - maybe that's why they named the light? :D

On a slightly more serious :p note, I agree the Surefires have their place but it is true that you desire more and more brightness after a while. Hey, I started with an E1e and look at the path that has brought me down.....

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a sickness!

Well, I just got my first Surefire--a G2--for Christmas. (thanks to my wife!)

I am very impressed. I already have a TL2 LED (with an incan sometimes), and the "wall of light" of the Surefire is darn impressive. I LOVE the beam!!!!
I think the G2 can cover a lot of ground, and really, it takes about 53 minutes to reach 50% (37.5 lumens). That is much longer than I expected for such a large amount of light. It lights up most of my back yard.

Anyway...yes....your wallet is doomed!

Bob

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can afford $30-$40 for a spotlight for Sams (i have a 10 million) I cant afford $400 for a SureFire M6....

InfidelCastro

Banned
At EUR 80,-- it has the potential to save money :D - BBL

I've noticed that since I purchased my $22.00 3MCP Dorcy Spotlight, I no longer have the urge to put down more than $100 on a flashlight.

tron3

Banned
KevinL said:
These days a Surefire incandescent has to put out at least 225 lumens to justify its place in my collection.. LEDs need to be LuxVs!

Dude, you are hard core.:xyxgun:

Personally, a light must have these criteria.

* 5w Luxeon LED (The Lexus of LED's)
* 120 lumens
* dc-dc circuit
* Variable brightness

3w lights, like my QIII, are acceptable if they serve some kind of portable purpose.

Any 7 ot 10 Luxeon's planned yet? :devil:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
Personally, a light must have these criteria.

* 5w Luxeon LED (The Lexus of LED's)
* 120 lumens
* dc-dc circuit
* Variable brightness
Tron3, you're a lucky fellow. There can't be more than five or six lights that meet those criteria!

"He could resist everything but temptation." --Oscar Wilde