The more i use it, the more i like it....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
My new Lighthound Fenix L1 Special (maybe we should call these lights the L1S?), that is, i admit, i was a skeptic at first, my view is *any* product that's hyped as much as the Fenix L series can't *possibly* be as good as they claim it is

i was expecting to be dissapointed in this light when i got it, after all, 1AA is a wussy battery, *nothing* good can run on a single AA, right?

okay, i admit it, i was wrong, the L1 is an awesome little (and i do mean little, this thing is frelling *tiny*) light, when i powered it up at work on Friday, i was underwhelmed with the beam intensity, it was outclassed by the flourescent overhead lights, i could just make out the hotspot, i figured "all this hype over *that*? what are the CPF'ers thinking...."

then i got outside and lit it up, and was pleasantly surprised, nice bright hotspot, usable spill, very "SureFire-Esque" beam, just the right brightness for use in the house, not too dim, not too bright, juuusst right...

today i get into work, and a customer brings in an iPod Shuffle that has a corroded USB plug, she's worried that the rust will hurt the machine, I tell her it's cosmetic, that the pins inside the USB connector are what's important, i squint into the connector, it's hard to see in there, if only i had a sma....oh yeah!, i whip out the L1, light it up, and verify the pins are fine, a brighter light would have obliterated details, a dimmer light wouldn't illuminate the area i needed....

then i go out to the service room, where i'm working on a G5 tower with no video, even though the room lights are on, the design of the G5 tower means it's pretty dark inside, i unscrew the vidcard retaining screw and pull the bad vidcard, set it aside and grab my known-good test vidcard, and try to plug it into the AGP slot in the dark confines of the case, y'know, i really wish i had a sma...riiight, i keep forgetting it's there....

out comes the L1, i fire it up, then put it in it's sheath so it doesn't roll away, lens out , i place it on the aluminum "shelf" below the vidcard, pointing directly at the AGP slot, the hotspot nicely illuminating the AGP slot on the logic board, the card pops in, i extinguish the L1 and pocket it, once again, the L1 puts out just the right amount of light, right where i need it....

oh and incidentally, it *was* a bad vidcard in the G5, gotta love when my gut instinct is right....

so to sum up, i'm a Fenix believer now (and thinking about picking up an L2P)....

Last edited: