Potential Surefire Buyer's Remorse

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if I am happy or not with a purchase I made today. I went to Gander Mountain (which is having a moving sale) to look for a SF E1L. The only singles thay had were E1E's. I had them check other stores and the only place that had the the E1L's were in Houston.

I was poking around and played with a E2O Outdoorsman. Obviously it had been there a while. I has dusty with a faded price tag. The clerk said it was on sale for 30% off of $89.95. I believe it was only supposed to be 10% off, I even asked about it, but the guy gave me 30%.

I bought it thinking it I didn't have an incandecent light. Even so, I still wish they had the E1L. I am not sure if I'll keep this E2O.

It has a pretty beam...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Keep it!

In fact, go back to the store, and inquire about a discount or rain check on a KL4, or a KL1. If that fails, go to OpticsHQ and buy from them. The nice thing about the E-series is their modularity.

...not sure that helped... :devil:
:)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
What greenLED said! You got an excellent price on a current light. I'll take a little dust and a third off any day.

Add a KL1 head and get an MN03 lamp assembly (the HOLA for E2's) and you have a very flexible, high quality setup. If you shop around, you can get all these pieces for very little more than the retail price of the E2O.

Mark

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green's right! Keep the light. You won't be sorry! We get few enough breaks in this world. When one comes along, Pounce on it!:grin2:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that Outdoorsman is long runtime low output right?

Guys correct me if I'm wrong but can't 78CJ5 get a LOLA and a HOLA then have three levels of incandescent light?

I like the clip on the Outdoorsman.

30% off. Good job.

CLHC

Flashaholic
What the fellow CPF members above mentioned. Keep it! Who in the right mind would get rid of it anyway? Maybe some, but noways for me! Already said above, the stock lamp assembly in it is a LOLA while the HOLA is the same as what's in the E2e and E2d. There's also a replacement LED head for it, if you want to go that route! Not me. . .

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
What everyone else already said. I've got the combinations mentioned and use the modularity to great advantage. Even if you don't need all the combos right now, you may be happy in the future. You got a better deal than first realized, I believe.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2 Lamps:

MN02 Blue Base 25 Lumens 150 Minutes Should be stock in your E2O.

MN03 White Base 60 Lumens 60 Minutes

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
Because of the deal I received, I am going to keep it. What I would like to do is buy an Aleph III head for it...

kennyj

Enlightened
That's a nice price for a damn sexy little light.

Regarding mods: Personally I think the AlephII head is a much better match for that light than the AlephIII, especially if you want to stick with a lower-output configuration (when you go high-power, you also want the McE2S switch, and if you set all that up... the only parts the E2O provides are the body and clip, and IMO that's a waste of an E2O.)

BTW, the F04 beamshaper is a really nice way to protect your investment (it also makes the beam more useful, IMO.) Won't fit on anything but the stock or AlephII heads, but it's a great thing to have if that's what you use.

InfidelCastro

Banned
78CJ5 said:
I am not sure if I am happy or not with a purchase I made today. I went to Gander Mountain (which is having a moving sale) to look for a SF E1L. The only singles thay had were E1E's. I had them check other stores and the only place that had the the E1L's were in Houston.

I was poking around and played with a E2O Outdoorsman. Obviously it had been there a while. I has dusty with a faded price tag. The clerk said it was on sale for 30% off of $89.95. I believe it was only supposed to be 10% off, I even asked about it, but the guy gave me 30%.

I bought it thinking it I didn't have an incandecent light. Even so, I still wish they had the E1L. I am not sure if I'll keep this E2O.

It has a pretty beam...

I just sold my Surefire E2O to somebody on this forum a couple weeks ago. Only reason I sold it was to help take the teeth out of some Christmas bills. It's really a great light and IMO the best all around Surefire light. The bulb is claimed as 25 lumens. But compared to my G2 I really could not tell much of a difference. And it has a much extended runtime over the G2. 2 hours and 30 minutes as opposed to approximately 60 minutes with the G2. It has the full length pocket clip and hard anodized finish. Plus you can put a 60 lumen bulb in it easily enough if you really want it. I plan to pick one up again this Spring when I can't haul my flashlight shelf around in a Winter coat anymore.

Got rid of my E2E because I kept losing it. 3 times in fact. What a worthless pocket clip that thing has!!!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I also agree with GreenLight and everyone else above. They are great because of their quality and modularity. I wish I had gotten my E2E for that price. ;)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Got rid of my E2E because I kept losing it. 3 times in fact. What a worthless pocket clip that thing has!!!

If you get another E2E call SF and get a long clip for $6. I got one for my E2E and L4. IMO, those short clips are useless crap. I know it is choice and personal taste. I just don't see anything wrong with the long clips and I do not understand the reasoning for the short ones unless it is to sell replacement lights.

I make the same recommendation to anyone buying a short clip E series light.

Mark

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I heard it was kind of a PITA to change the clip.
Not too bad and I was very determined.
I made a tied loop out of about 18" of paracord. Slipped it under the clip and used a series of short quick yanks to remove it. There is a very small plastic wedge under the clip. Make sure you don't let it fly. I did the work under a big towel so I could not lose it.

New clip goes on easily. I used a small plastic hammer to seat it fully.
Worth the effort 100%.

Mark

kennyj

Enlightened
78CJ5 said:
The E2O has more clearance around the batteries than my L2. Can the E2O use rechargable batteries?

The viability of rechargables has more to do with how the battery's power output compares to the lamp's specifications than anything else. Unless you were referring to the potential use of an 18650 in a 2xCR123A light (don't count on it unless you measure it out yourself first.) Fitting the batteries in the tube is pointless, after all, if they can't fire up the lamp or if they burn the sucker out in a few seconds.

If you can find a lamp assembly that will function properly with 3.6-4.2V, a 17650 should work fine. If you can find one that'll work with a range of 7.2-8.4V, you can use 2xRCR123A. I leave this task to you.

If you upgade to an LED head/module, then you have to make sure that the voltages above fit the driver's specs, and that the driver suits the LED you'll be using (unless you buy a turnkey kit, where this is mostly done for you already.) The more flexible buck/boost drivers tend to make this a no-brainer, but you still have to do the math first to be sure.