can't find Legend LX, buying Surge instead

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
can\'t find Legend LX, buying Surge instead

Well, after calling Wal-mart, and e-mailing Wal-mart, and driving to all the Sam's and Wal-marts on my side of town, and not finding the Brinkmann Legend LX, I decided to get the Surge.

(I've been to the Brinkmann web site, but find no reference to the LX).

I know it is heavier and bigger, but not much so (10.8 ozs with batteries).

I think I will enjoy buying the AA batteries as opposed to the 123 lithium batteries (I think that is what it takes).

It seems that all the reviews on here favor the Surge anyway.

If I ever see the LX, I will probably buy it, (You can't beat the size!), but at least I won't have this burning urge to buy the LX.

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: can\'t find Legend LX, buying Surge instead

Other than the price, the LX is more similar to the Scorpion, with the head of the Scorpion less bulky. As for brightness, my Surge is brighter than my Scorpion, but my Scorpion is much more pocketable.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
It must be only me but for everyday use in a light I think 123 cells stink.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do "stink" for every day common use because tactical-type 123 Lithium lights were never intended for that purpose.

There is one exception, however. That is the UK 2L. Rather than detailing it here why don't you look at threads "UK 2L- A great WINTER light" and also "UK 2L feedback". That will tell you enough to make a decision.

However, if you really want a light that is "bright" by flashaholic standards you will have to get a larger, heavier light.

The Surge is probably the best flashlight on the market that combines very reasonable price with bright light, good run time***, relatively small size and light weight'
L: 6.5"
W: Body - 1.75" x 1.5" (oval) Bezel is 2" dia.
Wt:11.6 oz w batteries

*** About 3 hours, but only if you use the right batteries. You can buy the expensive Duracell Ultras/M3 or the MUCH cheaper Ray-O-Vac "Maximum" AA's that, remarkably, have equal or superior burn time. Don't ask me how they do it. I consider them the best buy in alkaline AA batteries today. I would suggest you not use lithiums, even if you're tempted to experiment. I tried it a few times and blew the bulbs. BrightGuy recommends against it.

Good luck

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I could'nt stand it any longer. I just
ordered a Surge from Brightguy online.
I went ahead and got a spare bulb too.
Can't wait!
This forum is great, thanks for all the
experience and knowledge that is here.
Scott

Tesla

Enlightened

Scott...you can't be a true flashaholic until you have to have both the LX & the Surge! As Joe said, they are different animals. If you're having trouble locating an LX, try Galyan's, if you have one in the area...and happy hunting!
wink.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I don't think of the two lights as directly competing. The LX is arguably small enough for pocket carry, and definitely for jacket pocket carry, although that huge head mucks up the works a bit. By contrast, the Surge has a pretty big form factor. It's a much-less-carryable handheld spotlight kind of thing, IMO. In Surefire terms, the LX is 6Pish, Surge is M6ish (form-factor wise). Are you planning on carrying the Surge in a pocket?

I've been contemplating pickup me up a Surge myself! But I don't use my M4 enough to justify getting another super-bright light, at this time.

Joe

Spork

Enlightened

according to the pics posted I think the surge is brighter than a lx. I have one and really like it. its only 23 bucks from tts. if you really needed a bright light everyday for work or whatever the surge might be worth the extra weight to carry. especially if you use nimh cells. It must be only me but for everyday use in a light I think 123 cells stink. thats why I have never bought a surefire. poor runtime and expensive batteries. Doesn't mean I don't want one though! I wish they would make a surge with 4aa batteries. until then I'm happy with carrying my photon 2 or arc.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tesla: I agree. I'll have to have the LX.
And there is a Galyan's within 100 miles.
Thanks

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
I wish they would make a surge with 4aa batteries. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto that. I run mine with 4AA NiMH and it's just as bright as with 8.

Spork

Enlightened

how do i setup the surge to run from 4aa?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can just put 4 batteries in instead of 8. It has a series/parallel configuration of two sets of 4 batteries in series. Then the two sets are put in parallel.

nonbox

Banned

The surge has longer run time. Which is brighter: surge or lx?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nonbox:
The surge has longer run time. Which is brighter: surge or lx?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surge

Brock

Flashaholic

The Surge is brighter, but much larger also. This is totally my opnion, but I would choose the Surge over the LX.

Empath

Flashaholic

There's no such thing as a Legend LX. The stories you hear are just like the stories of a tooth fairy and Santa Claus. I've looked for a Legend LX, but I've never seen one. In fact, no one at the Walmarts in my area have ever heard of one.

What a cruel joke y'all have played on us with your stories.
wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
There's no such thing as a Legend LX. The stories you hear are just like the stories of a tooth fairy and Santa Claus. I've looked for a Legend LX, but I've never seen one. In fact, no one at the Walmarts in my area have ever heard of one.

What a cruel joke y'all have played on us with your stories.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif
Empath-If you weren't completely joking,-why don't you just order one from Brinkmann (in Tex.) and get it over with?
grin.gif
I think they'll be glad to send you one for $29.95 delivered.
wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
grin.gif
Empath-If you weren't completely joking,-why don't you just order one from Brinkmann (in Tex.) and get it over with?
grin.gif
I think they'll be glad to send you one for $29.95 delivered.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Scorpion, so there's no urgency. Resisting it at $30 from Brinkmann isn't difficult. I fear, however, that when I see one at Walmart for $20, and can actually touch it, my resistance will dissolve. I think I can resist anything... but temptation.
smile.gif