BeamShots Including Mini-HID, L2, Q3, G2, Tigerlight ETC

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to see how my new 3 watt modded Mag competed against some other LED and Non LED lights. Below are the results.

All pictures where shot in Full Manual using the Canon 350XT Digital SLR.

Shutter Speed 1/13 sec.
Lens Aperature F4
Focal Length 18mm
ISO Speed 400

One thing to note is the sidespill of these lights was defintetly more than can be seen in the pictures, otherwise the camera does not Lie!

Now for the Pics

Target approx. 15 feet away

Target-vi.jpg

Inova T3 3 watt LED

InovaT3-vi.jpg

Inova XO 1 Watt LED

InovaXO-vi.jpg

Nuwai Q3 with R123 (Light is 25%+ brighter with an R123)

Q3withR123-vi.jpg

SureFire G2 Nitrolon with 5 watt LED Module

StreamLightG35watt-vi.jpg

Surefire L2 Low

SurefireL2Low-vi.jpg

SureFire L2 High

SurefireL2High-vi.jpg

My "D" Mini Mag Mod Low UX1N .180 Milliamp http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102284

UX1NMag180MA-vi.jpg

My "D" Mini Mag Mod High UX1N 1.2 amps http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102284

IMG_1341-vi.jpg

StreamLight Scorpion Xenon

StreamlightScorpoinXenon-vi.jpg

TigerLight

TigerLight-vi.jpg

Mini-HID :)

MiniHID-vi.jpg

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BeamShots Including Mini-HID

I'll tell you I was suprised how well my UX1N powered Mini Mag faired against the competition. The mag reflector has just enough side spill and a great hotspot.......you couldn't ask for more:) Even at .180 Milliamp it would produce enought side spill to walk around with and the spot totally dominated the L2. At 1.2amp well it's even better. Your looking at close to 15 hours runtime on Low with 4 2500Mah NiMH AA's:)

Mac

CLHC

Flashaholic

Nice work there Mac! Very impressive I must say! Especially with that UX1N MiniMag. . .

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

now we need some Throw shots! (when you have time)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had various Lux III Mag mods for almost a year now and though I've upgraded, a 2C with a good U bin puts a smile on my face almost every time I use it outdoors. They throw WAY further than you'd think an LED could and though it's usually missing from posted beamshots, the spill beam is still a very usable amount of light.

Another thing I like doing is... when you are out in the middle of nowhere, have someone turn their bright headlights on and a T or U bin Mag mod will cut right through the beam put out by the brights. That impresses most folks.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
And thus we see the difficulty with beamshots!

There is no way the Scorpion is close to the Tigerlight, nor are any of the LED's close, and yet it would appear to be so.

Bill

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand what your saying Bill but if you *really* look at the Tigerlight and Scorpoin Beamshots you can see the Hotspot of the Tigerlight is like twice the diameter and alot hotter. If you just looked at them quick you would probably not see that:) As for the LED's I think it's alot different as the White is more white and alot harder to judge.

Mac

Luna

Enlightened
Try this. Use your DSLR's metering on the brightest light(center weighted)

Now use manual mode to lock those settings. If you wish to capture the hotspots as the item of comparison, use the brightest lights settings.

If you notice the x is no longer visible in the brighter light photos so you end up with clipping. As long as the x is visible in all shots, the shots should be accurate(we will ignore the low end since this a camera with a lower noise floor). Also,place a white piece of paper on the side wall and you can get a better of total output

Latest posts