I need some help with a PM6 tailcap

luigi

Enlightened
Hi all,

I want to dissassemble a Pelican M6 (incan) tailcap to replace the switch, the problem is that the internal part of the tailcap besides being threaded seems to be glued (argh!). Do you know anything I can do? Is it safe to boil the tailcap? If so for how long? I'm worried about the rubber part of the tailcap I'm not sure if I can boild that or not. Any other tips will be welcome.

Thanks!
Luigi.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blame the PM6's clickie tailcap for a serious accident. I've documented it in the thread A Little Accident, where others report problems with Pelican's tailcaps. Surefire's P-series tailcaps fit the PM6; I suggest you get a Surefire Z41 momentary twistie, or a Z49 or Z59 clickie.

luigi

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I blame the PM6's clickie tailcap for a serious accident. I've documented it in the thread A Little Accident, where others report problems with Pelican's tailcaps. Surefire's P-series tailcaps fit the PM6; I suggest you get a Surefire Z41 momentary twistie, or a Z49 or Z59 clickie.

Do you really blame the tailcap? In that thread it seems the problem was with the batteries. I wonder why a different tailcap would have been any different. But anyway I just want to know how can I defeat the glue in my PM6 tailcap, so if somebody can help me please keep posting :)

BBL

Enlightened
boiling helps... the outer part (plastic) on my M6 lith tailcap came out without a problem - the inner part was harder. i put the tailcap in a plastic bag which i submerged in boiling water. i made sure, that the rubber part doesnt get too hot. After several tries the internal parts came loose.

Following that, i had to clean the glue out of the threading to get the kroll-module in.

luigi

Enlightened
BBL said:
boiling helps... the outer part (plastic) on my M6 lith tailcap came out without a problem - the inner part was harder. i put the tailcap in a plastic bag which i submerged in boiling water. i made sure, that the rubber part doesnt get too hot. After several tries the internal parts came loose.

Following that, i had to clean the glue out of the threading to get the kroll-module in.

Thanks a lot BBL! How long do you estimate that I need to boil the tailcap? I will use a ziploc bag and make sure the rubber part is not completely submerged will that help?