Dummy Reference Guide to SL Batonlite modded with Lux led

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all.

This is the dummy reference guide for making a Streamlight Batonlight modded with a luxeon I using 2 AAA batteries. As like other Dummy Reference Guide, it is by no means an official guide for making this cool mod, but more as a reference to dummies like myself.

This Batonlight originally hosts 3 5mm leds which is only fair in brightness. But I really love the form factor and did EDC it once in a while. IIRC, from Craig's Led museum, there was a cool story about how this light could withstand 'highway traffic' for a few hours on the ground and still was functional afterwards. After the mod, the Batonlight does give a much higher level of bright light(see the end comparison pictures) and although the runtime is expected to be shorten, it is a fair tradeoff for what it's worth.

The Parts you will need:
-1 Luxeon I led, preferably a RxxH or RxxJ bin.
-Emitter board, 2 connectors and MadMax Lite convertor board from Shoppe
-Some really thin copper sheet (or any metal sheet that is thin and pretty good in conductivity)
-One thick piece of paper w/ aluminum foil or a solitaire reflector

Recommended Tools:
-Must haves: Solder iron, solder, sandpaper/dremel
-Good to have: solder paste, toothpick

SLBatonlite001
Thank you to CPF, I'd learn this tip that actually 2 AAA batteries measured almost identical length to 3 N cells. And as if it was meant to be, most boost circuit found in the Shoppe(such as BB, BBNG, Madmax lite) could be fitted into the head area with ease.

SLBatonlite002
Here are the leds taken out from the front end of the light. It is probably the easiest process for retrieving the 'light engine' (other mod process often time involved hairdryer, hammering, refrigerator, photon torpedo….just kidding :nana: ) Simply twist, and the front lens/protector comes right off.

SLBatonlite003
Now, if we were to dry fitting the MM lite board into the front end of the body tube, you will find that it is actually a perfect fit, and it rests nicely onto a ledge for the negative contact for the original leds. And the coolest part is the front lens/protector could be screwed in and all the electronic components are just within the diameter of that front lens/protector…

But for the emitter board(which will be fitted into the tube of the front lens/protector), we do have to use a dremel or sandpaper to grind down the diameter to make it fit. Take extra care to not ruin the holes on the emitter board or we might render the board useless.

SLBatonlite004
If you have read the Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding, then basically it is virtually the same as constructing a Sammie. And for this mod, you don't even have to worry too much about the precise height of the Sammie(like those for Minimags), just really short-stack it and make sure the top and bottom board are parallel to each other.

SLBatonlite005
For the negative contact, since it will not be like Minimag where the top emitter board could be served as a conduit, we will solder and clip a very thin strip of copper to the bottom of the converter board to make the negative contact from the negative contact on board onto the flashlight body.

SLBatonlite006
Once completed, this is how it will look when fitted into the body tube of the flashlight.

SLBatonlite007
Here we try to cut a 'tunnel' from a thick piece of paper to mimic a reflector for the light. It is a test and trial process. But once you get that right, make sure you mark down the measurements.

SLBatonlite008
This is how the light will look when everything is fitted together. If you got the measurement down, then cut out some aluminum foil likewise and place that foil in front of the paper to make it even more reflective.

SLBatonlite009
Viola! You are done! :goodjob:

SLBatonlite010
The original SL Batonlite beamshot

SLBatonlite011
Setting camera setting, the SL Batonlite with the lux Sammie inside and the aluminum foil reflector, more brightness in a more focused beam.

****The End****

As always, thank you for reading and I hope you will have fun modding this cool batonlite into a bright lux modded model. :naughty:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
GreenLed,

Thank you for reading and happy holidays! Though this might not be a very 'mainstream' mod which many would find appealing, but hopefully it will serve as some kind of reference to anyone who are remotely interested in modding this light. :)

The good thing about this mod/light is its ultra durability, and the virtually unbreakable lens. It is kinda like a Mag AA on steriod in terms of construction, but the drawback is its front lens is really frosted and it will be quite difficult to turn it completely on with one hand.

I'd be curious whether it will be a better option to do improvement on the 3 leds or put in a lux like this mod, since the front lens kill a lot of the throw anyway, and we might be better off to start with the floody 5mms...

Nonetheless, a fun mod to do. :devil:

VWTim

Enlightened
Looks great, I out 3 33Mcd's in my Batonlite a few weeks ago. I might have to pick up another and do a lux1 mod like shown.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
VWTim,

That's cool, if you do make one with lux I, please do post up your comparison pix here for everyone's reference. Who knows, maybe I would then in turn do one with three 33Mcd's :)

Pinkerton

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, and sorry for diggind this thread from the past.. but this seems closest to what I've been looking for.
First, thanks for Auroralite for making this thread. I just tested, and the light-end comes nicely out just by twisting... and I was going to take it out using force :whistle:

Now to the real question, what would be the best drop-in led solution today for this light? I just love this light, but it's not powerful enough to be carried at work anymore. I use my Fenixes, Novatac and Surefire instead. But, I'd like to carry this one too, if I just could find something powerful enough to use..