Just got my electric bill, Wow! What about you?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh they break it down into lots of different charges but it was still 100.95 for 631kw so that makes it about 16 cents per kilowatt. Just looked at my bill from two months ago and I was paying 12.6 cents per kilowatt so this represents about a 27% increase. I wonder if this is it or whether it will go up even more in the upcoming months? My electric company is "National Grid". Don't know if it is local to Mass or a national company.

LouRoy

Enlightened
Our electric rate is about half of yours. Our last bill was $ 99.51 for 1196 kw. This equals 8.3 cents per kw.

Our rates are regulated by a state commission and cannot be raised without a formal process and approval by the commission. The rates are cheaper in the winter than in summer due to air conditioning. The maximum demand for the utility is always in the summer.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
My utility bill for December ($258.50) was almost double what I paid last year. Not looking foward to January, February, and March. :(

oldgrandpajack

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our November electric bill was 31.66 for 311kwh. The bill covered 27 days. Our previous bill was 54.74 for 614kwh, 32 days. I guess we must have used the air conditioner.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how you look at it... I paid about $0.50 per kWh last bill.

In reality, it was charge for consuming 12 kWh over 1 month using portable electric heaters (and not using the natural gas central heat much because of the ultra high gas prices) in the bedrooms/study and I got a $0.34 credit (plus a $5.59 per month minimum charge).

Of course, that was because of conservation and a grid tied solar system which generated about 258 kWh for November and part of December (3kW peak worth of panels installed last September).

On the PG&E time of use E8 plan, my off-peak rate is ~$0.09/kWh and peak rate is ~$0.114/kWh.

Natural gas bill (hot water, cooking, clothes drier, central heat) was about $60 based on $1.64 per therm (or roughly 64% higher than last year). Next month should be down around $1.37 per therm--cheaper but not cheap.

Overall, pretty happy so far--but keeping the house temperature around 60-64 degrees F.

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i try to use less then 7 kw a day but im so cold today ill use almost 25 today my bill is usaly like 32 per month for el3ectric

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My energy bill was reasonable here in CA. It is 8.5 cents per kw or about $40.31 for 475 Kwh. My family is actually using 14% less energy this year than last year.

I have the last laugh on my neighbors. They laughed at me spending money years ago on insulation, passive conservation adjustments in the home and switching over to energy efficient devices. The energy-saving spending was the break even point last winter and I am now saving money all year long. I can buy more portable lights now.

I use 50% less energy than my neighbors. My lights are on and my home is warm. I've been saving energy for 8 years and living comfortably. My neighbor is complaining about his high energy bills.

Next year might be the year for solar panels for more savings. I'll freak out my neighbors and tell them the money I save through energy adjustments helped pay for the solar panels.

The west side of the US is an independent system for energy then the remaining parts of the US. I don't think we are getting hit nearly as hard in the energy crunch.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
49.10$ for me which is pretty reasonable as well. It usually goes above 60$ in the summer when I'm using the AC.

Water is actually the most expensive where I live.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue,

Is your power supplied by one of the old co-ops in the valley (and some CA cities have co-ops too)? Those are some pretty good rates for our area.

California is probably less insulated than we think... Much of the new electric power is coming from natural gas fired generators. And one of the larger companies, Calpine, has filed for bankruptcy as the huge run-up in gas prices have made its long term contracts (particularly one $600+ million dollar one with the state of California) unprofitable. Some of these contracts cost Calpine 3-4x to generate than what they are paid for by their customers. Nobody can stay in business long with those numbers.

We are approaching the dropping of the other shoe here regarding electric power and our costs--which are already among the highest in the country (the first shoe was the bankruptcy of PG&E and So. Cal Edison by our last governor—pre-Arnold).

-Bill

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Co-op. Pacific, Gas & Electric; PG&E. There is a Co-op 7 miles north of me and they have filed for bankrupt….big trouble. The Co-op that refused to help PG&E back when the power disappeared in CA is now $16 million dollars in the hole. PG&E is returning the favor and not helping them out. OK, PG&E is partially helping them out. PG&E wants to send advisers to help get them out of the hole but the Lodi Co-op declined help.

I would have been very surprised if my energy rates went up. The natural gas fields are 5 miles west of me. The gas is piped directly from under the islands. The electricity didn't change here. Around here we have more energy than we know what to do with. My energy rate has been around the same.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know exactly how much, but my dad tells me the electricity bill hopped up by 1/3rd when I started running my computer all the time... Maybe I should start working on setting up the "powersave" governor for my kernel...

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
My electric bill was about $90 which is too much for the winter, but my gas bill......OMG, I'm going to have to take out a loan to pay that!:broke:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i fell a slllpe with my heater on i figure its 1.5 kw per hour waaa i

turbodog

Flashaholic
QUOTE=carrot

I don't know exactly how much, but my dad tells me the electricity bill hopped up by 1/3rd when I started running my computer all the time... Maybe I should start working on setting up the "powersave" governor for my kernel...

A decent pc uses about 250 watts of power.

If it runs 24x7x365 it will use about $180 worth of electricity in a year if power is $.11/kwh.

This figure increases by about $65 if you are running a distributed computing application.

Then you've got to pay to remove this heat from your place via air conditioning.

In contrast, a 1400w hair dryer, used 5 minutes a day, uses only about $5 worth of power a YEAR.

Moral? Be very careful of the things that run 24x7.

jtice

Flashaholic
hmmm, I should buy one of those kw meters some time.
I wonder what my computer sucks up,
has to be alot, I run FOUR monitors, 3 of which are CRT :green:

The distributed computing has to do something,
The cpu is cranking, and the fans run faster on some systems.
And they do make alot of heat, my brothers room is always very hot,
he left for a week long trip, and it was freezing in his room with the computer off.

~John

raggie33

*the raggedier*
jtice my pc uses a lot it uses the most of all my stuff id guess 5kw a day one day my freind litefuse let me use a gadget that measure all my volatages my pc was the most of em all