Creative wrapping of Christmas presents

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to occasionally get creative with wrapping. My wife is now not very tolerant of such things so I have to play it straight, but in the past I have:

1) Wrap a small present in a large box, with the small present in the bottom of the large box mixed up in the packing materials- plastic peanuts or wadded up tissue paper.

2) Wrap a small present in successively larger boxes. The person opening the present has to open the first box, take out the next box and open it, etc. A variation on this is to put a small present in a small box, buried in the bottom of the packing paper in one of the larger outer boxes.

3) Hang a small present of jewelry, such as earrings, on the Christmas tree like another ornament.

4) Put an item of jewelry hidden in plain sight somewhere in the room. My wife had a collection of small stuffed animals that she put out along the top of the couch. I bought her a small bracelet, that by coincidence fit on the stuffed reindeer just like a nice collar. The bracelet sat on the neck of the reindeer for several weeks in plain sight, but she never noticed it.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always do the same thing. This year I wrapped a gift certificate inside a refrigerator box, with about 10 smaller boxes inside. :) I also put in some bricks so it felt heavy. All the smaller stuff got wraped in foil and electrical tape. :D

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've done the sucessively larger boxes in the past...always fun!

this year i used walmart, target, and hy-vee bags. it was sort of a last minute thing...

luigi

Enlightened
I used these too and the "treasure hunt", wrap a card with instructions to look in some place where you will put another card, post-it or paper with instructions to look somewhere else and after 7 or more hops the final present :)
It's a lot of fun specially if you have time to build it.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
When I was young, I'd do the nested box trick. Each box was individually wrapped so there was no indication of when the present itself would be revealed.

This year I simply used boxes from other presents. A ring fits into a Mont Blanc fountain pen box, for instance. A music box fits in a DVD player box, etc. I only do that on some of the gifts. It keeps them guessing.

Daniel

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My downstairs housemate did the "Russian doll" thing with his present to my upstairs housemate; each smaller box was gift wrapped, not just in its feral state.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I didn't really have a creative method of wrapping my gift but my mom helped me a little. While wrapping a Nite-Ize drop in, I included a 4 pack of Duracell AAs and my mom showed me how to fit the blister packs on top of each other in a special way. When wrapped up, it somewhat resembled a pack of candy.

I still remember what my Uncle said when he opened it: "What, it comes with batteries ?" "Hey, I wanted one of these for my Mini Mag!" :)