International shipping

sovereign

Newly Enlightened
I need to send a boxed M3T to Australia. Will it fit in a Global Priority Mail envelope? If so, which size and how much is the postage? There used to be a mulit-page thread about this on the old site???

ETA: Should the batteries not be sent???

Thanks!

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
A large GPM envelope is a little larger than 8.5x11" paper, if that helps. It's $9.
A small GPM envelope is about 6x9, $5.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3T is likely too big for even the big Priority envelope, at least using appropriate padding. The best option would be to find a box that will allow some padding for the long trip.

JMHO

sovereign

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
A large GPM envelope is a little larger than 8.5x11" paper, if that helps. It's $9.
A small GPM envelope is about 6x9, $5.

I don't know if the SF will fit in the large one. Off to the PO to see if they have any... Thanks!

sovereign

Newly Enlightened
Unforgiven said:
The M3T is likely too big for even the big Priority envelope, at least using appropriate padding. The best option would be to find a box that will allow some padding for the long trip.

JMHO

Any idea what the rate is for "a small box"?

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rate will vary depending on the dimensions and weight of the package. You could use the USPS Rate Calculator to get an estamate.

It has been my experience that you get what you pay for when shipping a package...... especially international. I once shipped a package to Europe from Missouri USA and it took a total of 44 days. It could have cost me many times what I saved in postage to replace the McLux I shipped.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I recommend using Global Priority Mail or Global Express Mail.

Insurance and tracking are not available with Global Priority Mail, which has a four pound limit.

Global Express Mail has insurance and tracking, but it is more expensive.

Both of the above are carried by FedEx, from the US, to the destination country's Customs. VERY RELIABLE, up to that point.

I ship a lot internationally (22 countries, including Australia), and use both of the above. Haven't lost a package, or had any contents damaged. I do package items extremely well, in order to prevent crush or puncture damage. If the box is sealed well, it's difficult for some lowlife to quickly open it, and pocket the contents.

oldgrandpajack

rikvee

Enlightened
oldgrandpajack's packaging is superb, his stuff always gets there in top shape.

Global Priority or Express are at least USPS (I didn't know that it can be via Fedex).

USPS to Australia means delivery to your door, with no extra import/handling charges.

Fedex or UPS means a phonecall from the other side of the country, asking for "import duty", collected religiously by these independent companies who no doubt profit from their overzealous activities.

The Australian Post Office (counterpart of USPS) seems to happily pass anything below AU$500, lately perhaps even up to AU$1000 (US $725), without any extra charges, FASTER too.

Below $200 I would go Global Priority, above $200 Global Express.
That way the shipping doesn't go above 10% of the value of the parcel....

Batteries are fine, I have been sent 30 or 40 in an envelope from the US before.
Inside a light, if possible I would just lock-out the tailcap.

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always request that anything sent to me up here in Canada is sent USPS. I get shafted with duties everytime is have something come in by courier, even if it is genuine gift.