MXDL "3 watt Luxeon"

lordsaryon

Newly Enlightened
Well, i ordered one for the cheap price, and am already quite disappointed in myself.

The beam leaves alot to be desired, looks more incandescent with the spot in the middle (donut is what I think you guys call it).

VERY lightweight (I mean, to the point of almost thinking it was plastic, and not metal at all).

The "Luxeon" looks like a HORRIBLE knockoff, VERY dirty and cloudy "dome".

My Dorcy outperforms it with ease.

Either way, I just found out the guy who was selling them is no longer part of ebay, and I cannot contact him. I'm filing with paypal to get my money back, and taking this as a learning lesson.

On a side note, I got a Thor for Christmas, and all I can say is wow. I never realized from any of the pictures HOW LARGE the reflector really is!

Also, has anyone had any experience with this light? I saw a review of the 3watt, and wondered if anyone has/had this one?

Learjet

Enlightened
Sorry to hear your MXDL was crappy. My police version MXDL with side clickie is quite good. Nice beam, good colour, no doughnut (has adjustable head). Luck of the draw I guess.

My Dorcy 3D 1 watt is brighter but then it's driven harder and has a larger reflector.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the ALX-352 as Roy said. Nice light, built like a tank. If you like flood, then the Nuwai TM301X-5 may be interesting. wide beam but nice small light.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Which version of the MXDL do you have? I have several of the 2nd version (that I got for very cheap). Out of all of them, only one is noticeably dimmer than the others, and one is a little more blue than the others. But outside of the dimmest one, they are all pretty bright and very useful for close to medium work. The batter casing leaves something to be desired, but overall, I dont think its bad for the price.

I know they are cheapies. But they are definitely not bad for what they are. Though its almost a hit or miss on getting a decent one.

lexina

Enlightened
There are at least 3 versions of the MXDL 3W - see qualitychinagoods.com. Ver 1 and 2 uses 3 AAA and Ver 3 uses 2 CR123. I have Ver 2 and Ver 3 and prefer the Ver 2. In fact, its beam is almost identical to my Fenix L1P! Again it's the "luxeon-clone" lottery - my friend bought one too and his tint is bluish while mine is white.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
lexina said:
There are at least 3 versions of the MXDL 3W - see qualitychinagoods.com. Ver 1 and 2 uses 3 AAA and Ver 3 uses 2 CR123. I have Ver 2 and Ver 3 and prefer the Ver 2. In fact, its beam is almost identical to my Fenix L1P! Again it's the "luxeon-clone" lottery - my friend bought one too and his tint is bluish while mine is white.

i think that "lottery" applies to any flashlight coming out of china, HK or ebay

i did a bulk order of 18 flashlights and almost all of them have a diffrent color, from 5500K to 6000K to 8000K blue, green, white, purple

it seams like they just get leds from who ever has them,

lordsaryon

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Grey 3xAAA MXDL. I don't know a version number, as I don't see one on it. It looks like it's trying to be a dorcy clone in the end.

Rebus

Enlightened
I have 2 of the fluted MXDL and I am very
pleased with them. Good brightness, color
and beam. Payed about $15.00 each shipped.

-Rebus

thefish

Enlightened
On a related note I have seen a new version of this light show up here (by here I mean in Hong Kong as I am staying here for the year). It has a sealed head that can not be unscrewed and when looking into it you can see it is some kind of new LED that looks nothing like a Luxeon (although some still say "Luxeon" on the package). It is like a little yellow dot in the center of the reflector, but it produces a nice white light. I have seen this thing in MXDL, and some claiming to be Nuwai. Also it has a new kind of battery carriage, that still takes 3 AAA's but has like a little spring loaded clip built into the positive side… Perhaps I will pick one up and show you guys.

Haz

Enlightened
thefish said:
On a related note I have seen a new version of this light show up here (by here I mean in Hong Kong as I am staying here for the year). It has a sealed head that can not be unscrewed and when looking into it you can see it is some kind of new LED that looks nothing like a Luxeon (although some still say "Luxeon" on the package). It is like a little yellow dot in the center of the reflector, but it produces a nice white light. I have seen this thing in MXDL, and some claiming to be Nuwai. Also it has a new kind of battery carriage, that still takes 3 AAA's but has like a little spring loaded clip built into the positive side… Perhaps I will pick one up and show you guys.

I'm interested to see the output, and a look at the led as well.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
thefish said:
On a related note I have seen a new version of this light show up here (by here I mean in Hong Kong as I am staying here for the year). It has a sealed head that can not be unscrewed and when looking into it you can see it is some kind of new LED that looks nothing like a Luxeon (although some still say "Luxeon" on the package). It is like a little yellow dot in the center of the reflector, but it produces a nice white light [size]

but all luxeons look like yellow dots,

Last edited:

SuperNinja

Enlightened
thefish said:
This one has an led and battery holder similar to your description:
http://www.axshop.com/details.aspx/sku-1071/

I bought one and I like it, but there is a little too much play in the threads in the tail cap. (at least in the one I got)

Last edited:

thefish

Enlightened
SuperNinja said:
This one has an led and battery holder similar to your description:
http://www.axshop.com/details.aspx/sku-1071/

I bought one and I like it, but there is a little too much play in the threads in the tail cap. (at least in the one I got)

That does look just like one version of what I am seeing here (they just started to show up all over about 2 weks ago). Could you post a pic of the LED for us?

Yes I know all Luxeon LEDs look like a yellow dot, but this is different (hard to explain).

SuperNinja

Enlightened
thefish said:
Could you post a pic of the LED for us?
Here is the best that I could come up with within a few minutes (bad light, not the sharpest focus, and not the steadiest of hands either)

Note:
It might not be noticable from the pic, but the LED is so flat that it is almost flush with the surface of the board.

img06075eb.jpg

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
SuperNinja said:
Here is the best that I could come up with within a few minutes (bad light, not the sharpest focus, and not the steadiest of hands either)
You're kidding right? Your picture is sharp, crisp and focused right on the emitter. Man - you set high standards for yourself. Thanks for the picture.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
hmm yeah that doesnt look like a luxeon, but if its able to create a bright beam and costs only $10-$15 you cant really complain. some flashlights that are $50 dont even light up that well