Malkoff        
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SUPERLIGHTS III

Party Re: SUPERLIGHTS III

YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWWW!

I am really excited to see the analysis & reviews!

Thanks Mr. Ted Bear!

Congrats to the Rayzor dudes!

Default Re: SUPERLIGHTS III

so we are doing the runtime tests....

then these guys show up...

give us a few more days...were are working on it
    Jeff

Wow... How about a photo of that couch when it catches on fire from all the lumens that are being pointed at it?

I like that timer on the couch.

I can't wait for the results
    A lumpy beam is bad...always

Flashaholic*

Nice

-- CUE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ted Bear
    so we are doing the runtime tests....
    give us a few more days...were are working on it
    Did the holiday company who'd previously occupied that couch find themsleves assisting in a superlight shootout?

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I was worried the old Rayzorbeam/lite thread (which was leading up to this event) was gone forever and I'd not learn the end of the saga!

Pardon my ignorance (which is ample, being a relative NEWBIE to HID), if your chart at the beginning specifically mentions a focusable model - Kumkang - in the earlier shootout, does that mean the later offerings are not focusable?

Thanks!
    Last edited by LightTracker; 12-29-2005 at 11:30 PM.

I'm guessing the three 24 watt flashlights will have very similar beams, color and output.
    Collins Dynamics CD-12, CD-12 Magnum, Microfire Warrior, Iluminator HID, Costco HID, ,Maxabeam, Polarian Helios, RayzorLite ,BarnBurner,and a bunch of small lights.

Here we go!

I've posted the photos/review of the "Super shootout 3".

http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/

I don't really consider these lights as "Superlights", so I just named them "HID lights". If you go to my web site, click on the "HID LIGHTS 2" link on the menu.

So, "Superlights 1" = "Superlight Shootout 1"
    "HID lights 1" = "Superlight Shootout 2"
    "HID lights 2" = "Superlight Shootout 3"

You'll also notice that the "HID lights 1" doesn't show any page. I'm not done with that yet.

Anyway, I have a fever, have lost my voice, have been sick since 12/11, and haven't had a good night sleep since then (which is probably why I'm still sick - afterall, it's 5:30AM right now!).

But the show must go on!
    Last edited by Kenshiro; 12-30-2005 at 07:30 AM.

FYI: the "HID lights 1" = "Superlight Shootout 2" link doesn't work

Flashaholic

Great work as usual Kenshiro and Mr. Ted Bear!

The Rayzors are quite disappointing. However, you only tested the 6000K versions, which are significantly dimmer than the 4100K versions. Did you also receive versions with 4100K bulbs? It looks like these lights have really been hurt by Rayzor's decision to use 6000K bulbs by default as opposed to 4100K bulbs. At 35W the 6000K bulbs would only be putting out around 2400 lumens, which equals around 4000 lumens at 50W. This is only 25% more than the 3200 lumens that 4100K bulbs at 35W put out, which would explain why they aren't much brighter. Also remember that the Rayzorbeam is only 28W at low, which puts it at a slight disadvantage to the others.

I like both the v2 Rayzorbeam and v2 Rayzorlite at 50W. The v2 Rayzorbeam has both good throw and flood in one, and the v2 Rayzorlight out floods the Beast while maintaining better throw. The v1 Rayzorlite is also pretty nice, throwing a wide, even beam. The v1 Rayzorbeam would be good if it wasn’t for the huge pie slice down the middle. The Rayzor reflectors are all quite nice, only being let down by the poor bulbs.

I would like to hear what Rayzor says about the no start issue. An issue as significant as not starting would be pretty hard to not notice.

The XeVision 50W isn't much brighter than the 35W Polarion. Maybe it uses a lower quality bulb that isn't as efficient as the genuine Philips bulb?

You have split it up into 2 sections, one for 35W and one for 50W. Could you please make one giant picture so that I can see how the Rayzors compare at the different settings?

Are there any plans to review each light individually like you did in the first shootout? It would be nice to see what each light is like up close since no one else on CPF has any of these lights so it's hard to get a "feel" for them. This especially applies to the Polarion, which you said had many advanced features, but since no one else on CPF has one it's hard to know what it's like. It would also be nice to know how the new Polarion compares to the old Kumkang. From the spec sheet the new Polarion actually looked worse than the old version, but based or your comments it seems like it's much better.

Luna,

I mentioned that I am not done with the "HID lights 1" and thus the page will not work. Please read the post completely before you make any comments.

That Guy,
    The Polarion has been available in the US for at least 6 months. I guess there simply hasn't been a thread on it on the CPF. You can get it from Strategos International and other places, but I am not sure they have updated their web site.
    You can always e-mail them.
    The new Polarion has virtually the same performance as the old Kumkang model. The improvements I mentioned are mainly other factors such as waterproofness and a better battery design.
    As for the photos, all were taken at the same setting, so you can simply import any photos you like into your favorite viewing program and compare them yourself. I did not take 35W and 50W photos seperately, I just divided them into two groups for better viewing.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by That_Guy
    Great work as usual Kenshiro and Mr. Ted Bear! The XeVision 50W isn't much brighter than the 35W Polarion. Maybe it uses a lower quality bulb that isn't as efficient as the genuine Philips bulb?
    We use a GE (General Electric) made in Hungary 4200K D2S which we have found offers better lifetime and lumens performance than either Philips or Osram when driven at 50 watts. The GE bulbs are 20% more expensive than their Philips counterparts. The GE bulbs have better lumens maintenance than the others especially at 50 watts. We get well over 100 (about 106) lumens per watt when driven at 50 watts. Name brand 35 watt D2S bulbs (4200K only) are 91 lumens per watt (GE, Osram, Philips).

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro
    Luna,
    I mentioned that I am not done with the "HID lights 1" and thus the page will not work. Please read the post completely before you make any comments.
    Sorry mom. Gee people are too sensitive. I missed it or you editted it while I was replying to the orginal post. I don't know, just trying to help.

MAN! That is a lot of work! You guys are lucky to be doing the testing and actually holding and experiencing these forerunners. Big Cheers to KenShiro and MR. Ted Bear!

I took a few notes while I was reading everything on your site and they were actually questions/requests. I have not noticed these details anywhere so please excuse if they have been mentioned. I also realize that you are not finished and both of you are still adding more info, so just ignore anything that is forthcoming.

Great work! Thank you

Can we get individual pics of each light or a clear and labled group pic?
    Can we get runtimes on all the lights?
    Can we get retail and street price estimates on all lights?
    Can we get contact info to purchase all lights?
    A set of black and white photos would be a nice addition to demostrate the subtle differences.
    I wonder how my li'l ol' USL would look in that shootout. Probably not the throw king but maybe hold it's own in output? Especially with a 3" head!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by XeVision
    We use a GE (General Electric) made in Hungary 4200K D2S which we have found offers better lifetime and lumens performance than either Philips or Osram when driven at 50 watts. The GE bulbs are 20% more expensive than their Philips counterparts. The GE bulbs have better lumens maintenance than the others especially at 50 watts. We get well over 100 (about 106) lumens per watt when driven at 50 watts. Name brand 35 watt D2S bulbs (4200K only) are 91 lumens per watt (GE, Osram, Philips).
    That's good to hear. Maybe the XeVision uses a shallower reflector than the other lights, which would explain why it doesn't appear much brighter than the 35W units. The best way to compare lumens between the 50W XeVision and the other 35W units would be a ceiling bounce test.

*Flashaholic*

Cromag, my interest has escalated particularly re the Polarion. (Our USLs aren't remotely in the same league! But on the upside, you can hold your hand in front of the HIDs. )

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Quote Originally Posted by tvodrd
    Cromag, my interest has escalated particularly re the Polarion. (Our USLs aren't remotely in the same league! But on the upside, you can hold your hand in front of the HIDs. )Larry
    Are there any lights of the USL's size (10-1/8") and weight (24.3oz) that can outperform the USL in total output and brilliant illumination of a broad swath of terrain?

Many thanks to you and Ted Bear for making this valuable information available to us!

Brightnorm
    Last edited by brightnorm; 12-31-2005 at 12:46 AM.

Wow guys THANK YOU!!!! Excellent pictures as usual!! I can't wait for the write ups!!!

I must say though I expected more from the Rayzorbeam/lites...........both output and the problem with the switch surprises me.
    High Intensity Delusions

I was really surprised by how well the Costco lights did. Not bad for a 75 dollar HID, complete.

Those two incandescent Costco lights did alot better than I thought they would, especially for a 20-30 dollar light. Especially when their filaments are underpowered (the battery doesn't supply enough voltage to run the bulbs properly).

Have you had a chance to perform runtime tests on the various lights?

Here is the datasheet for the GE D2S 4100k HID:
    http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/ged2shid.pdf

Flashaholic

Good to hear that there will be writeups. I find them much more useful than beamshots alone.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBie
    I was really surprised by how well the Costco lights did. Not bad for a 75 dollar HID, complete.
    Actually $149 now at Harbor Frieght! Here's the CPF thread.

tvodrd: I wonder if my USL would MELT the contestants! ehehh

I second the suggestion for purchase/contact information on the Kumkang Polarion since I have not been able to find any information at all.

Flashaholic*

I am also in for information on the Kumkang Polarion. Would be nice for a group buy.

Thanks for all the review information thus far. Very well put together and informative. Looking forward to any/all other information that you guys will be putting up.
    -- CUE

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cue003
    I am also in for information on the Kumkang Polarion. Would be nice for a group buy.

Thanks for all the review information thus far. Very well put together and informative. Looking forward to any/all other information that you guys will be putting up.
    my ESP tells me that interest in a Polarion group buy will now be a very hot topic.

-Eritt
    --------------------
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: ----The Big Guy

Flashaholic

I've re-arranged the images so that all the lights can be compared at once.
    Zoomed and wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro
    Here we go!

I've posted the photos/review of the "Super shootout 3".

http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/

I don't really consider these lights as "Superlights", so I just named them "HID lights". If you go to my web site, click on the "HID LIGHTS 2" link on the menu.

So, "Superlights 1" = "Superlight Shootout 1"
    "HID lights 1" = "Superlight Shootout 2"
    "HID lights 2" = "Superlight Shootout 3"

You'll also notice that the "HID lights 1" doesn't show any page. I'm not done with that yet.

Anyway, I have a fever, have lost my voice, have been sick since 12/11, and haven't had a good night sleep since then (which is probably why I'm still sick - afterall, it's 5:30AM right now!).

But the show must go on!

Ken, could you include daytime photos of your shooting range? If they are already there, could you link me?

Flashaholic*

Is Mr Ted Bear planning on posting more info about this shootout here? I am looking forward to reading more and looking forward to pictures of the lights together so I can get relative size comparisions to say a regular 3d mag. Very interested to see the Kumkang and the XeRay in a side by side picture.

Curtis
    -- CUE

what the heck... it's new years eve, and I have a "honey do" list that keeps growing by the minute.

anyways, yes, full report will soon come, but yesterday Kenshiro and I re-shot all the lights, plus the three 24 watters. I hade a hunch that I wanted to check out, and sure enough, what I believed was correct. I will post my findings in the Rayzorbeam review.

In the mean time...
    Jeff

Flashaholic*

Thanks Jeff. Is the square block on the bottom of the Kumkang attached or is that just the charging base?

Thanks again.

Happy New Year. 2006 here we come!!

Curtis
    -- CUE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast