Dorcy 1AAA colors

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
How many colors does the Dorcy 1AAA come in? I have three now, silver, blue and red. Are there any other colors?

Brlux

Enlightened
The black and gold versions were avalable when they were first released but I havent seen them in the store for years. I still have 2 black and 1 gold.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still see a few gold around here, but they are in the minority now. I have a couple from Ace hardware in "pewter", or the shiny silver/gray color like some of the 2xAA lights. They were expensive, but I prefer them to the flat "silver" that Walmart sells. They have smooth rubber sleeves and the Ace name stenciled on the battery tube.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have 2 black ones a 1st run and a newer one w rubber grip that thay all have now.But that one is a few years old, I always look for the black color ones but no luck. The black ones are good looking too bad thay dont make some more.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a pic of the black ones? I've never seen this mythical beast. Wallmart has the gold ones.

DaveG

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Anyone have a pic of the black ones? I've never seen this mythical beast. Wallmart has the gold ones.
Cant help you out w pix no camera, but the two I have I got at two Wal-marts,and just one black mixed in with the other colors in each instance.

Brlux

Enlightened
IMAG0197.JPG

Hear are the Dorcy AAA that I could quickly dig up. I really like using the plastic cone from a Garity light stick on these as a rechargable light stick. I allyays get coments about them. You have to unscrew the head and sometimes put a thin layer of solder on the cround conection on the sircuit board inorder to have a verry tight friction fit as the friction is the only thing holding the circuit in.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The colours change between generations. The colours are lighter in the 1st generation. Both gold and blue. I do not have an old red one to compare. I got a skinny Dorcy in which the two ends do not match.

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
I like the plastic cones. I'll have to just keep watching the various walmarts and see what pops up, there's about 4 of them that I frequent. Most of the time there aren't very many at all, they're usually sold out. I think the most I've seen at walmart is 6 but usually it's just a couple if any. So I surmise that these little things are pretty popular. Thanks for all the info.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic Brlux! The black looks really cool!

LEDninja: I was just going to comment that the gold one looks lighter than the ones I've seen recently.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our local Super K-Mart store sells the Dorcy AAA and AA flashights, but charges almost $7 for the AAA and more for the AA lights.

Brlux

Enlightened
IMAG0202.JPG

After looking around some more I found a few more of my Dorcy lights. I really like my lights with the led exposed. As can be seen by the one with the blue head that I chopped befor reading about the dual tail cap idea. I used to hate the AA untill I removed it's head and replaced with a single CS. It is now one of my favorite small lights. About half of the AAA have also been upgrades with the Nichia CS leds which I feel is one of the best things you can do to these little lights. You can also see the switch on the 3D light which selects between driving through the factory resistor or direct drive. I replaced the star with a TV1J lux III and fresh batteries running direct drive pushes 1.6 Amps which is verry impressive.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the benefit of the silver one with the dual tailcaps and sans refector? Also how do you do it?

Last edited:

Bradlee

Enlightened
The black ones are still available here in Canada - I just picked up a couple last week. That's strange that they are so scarce in the States.

Brlux

Enlightened
I like having the LED fully exposed it seems to even out the beem and light a small area more evenly. It is especially nice when you are wearing it on a lanyard around your neck because you still get a small amount of light in all directons even thought the light is pointed down and the majority of the beam is downward facing.

To do the dual tail cap light take one tale cap and remove the wire that you run a lanyart through and then the black button will fall out. You can then use the empty shell as your head.

On the blue head I used a dremil with a cutting wheele to cut it about in the middle of where the ruber grip goes. Not quite as cleen and compact as the dubble ended tale cap but you do not have to sacrafice one light.

Brlux

AlCanada1

Newly Enlightened
What colors would you guys like to see, we usually change colors in March. Let's here it.

farmall

Enlightened
AlCanada1 said:
What colors would you guys like to see, we usually change colors in March. Let's here it.
PINK (for the ladies) and DARK GREEN would be interesting.

Last edited:

Latest posts