Fenix L1P: variations in spill beam signature

kip

Newly Enlightened
Due to a large volume of L1P's I had on-hand for gifts this season, I had the luxury of doing side-by-side comparisons between 8 different lights. It was very interesting to note the differences--some subtle, some quite profound--between the various models.

The lottery was definitely in effect here; tints fell on either side of pure white, but mostly ranged from the slightly greenish/yellow color to the slightly purple/blueish color. This was by no means terrible or unacceptable, just very interesting to see the lottery in effect side-by-side like this. I had two lights that fell (luckily) near dead-white, with beautiful color rendition. One is now my EDC, the other is a backup. The rest were given away as gifts.

Which brings me to my original reason for posting. Aside from the variations in beam color hue, I noticed another interesting effect between lights that I wonder if anyone else has noticed: variations in spill beam signature. On one light, for example, the hotspot transitioned smoothly to the corona, with a couple of noticeably bright outer rings in the periphery and spill beam (usable actually for wider viewing in a darkened room at some distance). On the other hand, a few of the lights had similar hot spots with a more defined corona and zero rings or spill.

I am assuming this effect is due in part to miniscule variations in LED placement depth within the reflector, but would like to hear comments on the subject from the more established here.

Kind Regards,
-Kip

zapper

Enlightened
I have two. One is a pure white with distinct borders where the light transitions. The second has a very slight yellow tint and has no edges and just transitions from a hotspot to a fading corona. I prefer the hotspot with distinct definitions for throw, but ofcourse others prefer the seemless transition (more flood type) for close use. I'm going to take the second one apart and try setting the depth of the reflector to focus the spot.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
kip said:
Which brings me to my original reason for posting. Aside from the variations in beam color hue, I noticed another interesting effect between lights that I wonder if anyone else has noticed: variations in spill beam signature. On one light, for example, the hotspot transitioned smoothly to the corona, with a couple of noticeably bright outer rings in the periphery and spill beam (usable actually for wider viewing in a darkened room at some distance). On the other hand, a few of the lights had similar hot spots with a more defined corona and zero rings or spill.

I am assuming this effect is due in part to miniscule variations in LED placement depth within the reflector, but would like to hear comments on the subject from the more established here.
Well, I'm not a Lux expert or anything, but here's more reference data for you:

I was very lucky with my single L1P purchase. It has the least tint of the 8 or so Luxeons I own; I can't really detect any tint at all, it's just WHITE. (The next best that I have is a SL Pro Poly Luxeon that has such a faint blue tint that I call it a "cool white" color, rather than blue...)

As far as side spill, mine has a smooth transition from the hotspot to the corona, and no rings at all in the spill beam. I am curious to see what percentage of the Fenixes reported here have that beam profile, vs. the less-smooth type.

MVB

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, recent quality lights have had pretty consistantly good tints. I have three Fenix lights, an L1, and L1P and an L2P. The L1P and L2P are both very white... probably RW0 bins as they look very similar to my TW0Js and TW0Ks. The L1 is nice also, but when compared to a TW0 bin, the L1 looks a bit violet.

Having said that, when used individually, they all look quite white but when using two lights at the same time, the smallest tints will sometimes look pretty dramatic and sometimes, the whitest Luxes will look like they have their own tint when compared to a Lux with a very distinct opposite tint.

kip

Newly Enlightened
I also have two (2) more lights due in a couple of days- the Lighthound L1 special "Silver R-Bin" boxed set. I will compare both of those to each other, then to the L1P's and post the results.

-K

loopy

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any L1P's, but I have notice the same differences with the 3 L2P's I have come across.

cary

Newly Enlightened
I just went through this having bought 5 L1Ps, one for myself and 4 for family members. I loaded them all up with fresh Energizer Lithium batteries and found the following:

1) There is some variation in the beam as you noted, some having a more defined transition than others.

2) There is a minor variation in tints. All were very white, with two edging towards green, two very slightly blue/purple, and one a little more blue/purple than the other two. You wouldn't know the variation except for comparing them side by side and then it was only slight.

3) Output was very consistant. With four of the lights, output appeared identical. The fifth light had a higher output than the other four. It was also one of the two that hedged toward green. Can you guess which one I kept? :)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibilities for different "focus"

1) Luxeon is positioned farther up, or lower down in reflector than others.
2) Reflector (which are machined I believe) has slight variations from one to the other.
3) Some Luxeon are the new "joker" luxeons with lower die height.

kip

Newly Enlightened
cary- your observations are exactly in-line with mine regarding this issue, so obviously this is a product-wide design trait.

IsaacHayes- your #1 is exactly what I observed and noted as a 'possible' explanation for the corona & spill beam variances. thank you for providing a more experienced definition. #2 I would have to agree with, as well, although I feel that in this instance the depth of the module affects beam variations more profoundly, especially since all reflectors look quite well-matched and machined.
#3, I am not familiar with these.

-K