Anyone lost their lights in a majjor storm?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone lost part of their flashlight collection in major storm (hurricane, tornado, snow storm, rain storm)?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing you found a part of one? (no, by the way)

Tony (Chop on these forums) is (was?) a resident of Metairie, LA where Hurricane Katrina hit. His house was damaged, but I dont remember reading whether many of his belongings were washed away.

Last edited:

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
picard said:
Has anyone lost part of their flashlight collection in major storm (hurricane, tornado, snow storm, rain storm)?

Yes. I had spread my flashlights around the house and out in the garage and shed. THe neighbor's enormous tree came down in my backyard. Everything in the shed was lost. I later retrieved what I could out of it, but for three weeks, I couldn't get anything out of there. Effectively, I lost the use of everything. (...that I had in the shed. But that was fine, because by design, I had distributed my supplies around in such a manner that if anything was lost, I would still have plenty left. I also had bugout bags in both cars, for myself, my wife, and my kids, and all of them had flashlights in them. Also had flashlights in the gun safe.) During the salvage, I had lost a couple of Mags, a minimag, a few cheapies.

During the storm, I lost the light in a Mag 3D from droppage. That tree scared me so bad that I flat out dropped that flashlight. Fixed that one later, with a spare bulb.

That tree cut the neighbor's house in half. Sadly, all of his stores were in one place. When that huge tree came down, it flattened his roof down over everything in the garage. All of his flashlights, generators, ice, food, everything knocked out by one blow.

Interestingly, there was another phemonon in effect: undersupply. Most folks had a few extra packages of flashlights for their incans, which quickly ran out over the next few days. Several folks also had generators but only one 5 gallon gas can to fuel them. Generators, especially the large ones, can really chow the gas, and they ran out after a few days. The neighborhood got really quiet there for a while.

Last edited:

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I lost an ARC AAA that was hanging from a light switch the last time I saw it. I also lost an Infinity Ultra but I think it was taken, I just didn't have the heart to ask the guy (very old) if he picked it up. Both of those were post hurricane with no power in the house losses. As far as losing a torch left at the house during a hurricane, no way. ALL my torches that I have any care about are put in a bail-out bag prior to evacuating.