Help Me Decide: Ultra or HP McKinley?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm talking myself into a Peak McKinley as a nice little pocket flood. I'm after the "new style" with the clustered LEDs. I was originally inclined towards the HA model, but after briefly handling an (old style) brass one recently, I will probably go with the brass. I wouldn't normally opt for the heavier version of any light, but that brass just looks and feels terrific!

My final issue is Ultra vs. High Power. I would appreciate any opinions from "new style" McKinley owners, or others in the know. And, of course, if anyone has either for sale, I'm interested.

Thanks very much.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a brass McKinley, high power, with red LEDs. To be honest, I was hoping for more flood than I got. Mine's pretty much a spot. Maybe the colored LEDs have a tighter beam angle than the Snow. If a flood is what you want, be sure to inquire before you buy. They're pretty helpful via email, both before and after the sale.

I opted for the high power, and I have no problems with it. If anything, I wish they still offered the standard power model. Although runtime does not seem to be suffering, it does get plenty hot if you leave it on a while. I wouldn't buy the ultra power, but my intended use may be different than yours.

The brass is really nice. It's as much a work of art as a light. I hope you enjoy yours.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
I have two "old" style McKinleys (7 LED): one is Std. power, the other is the Hi-power. Both are aluminum HA bodies. Of the 2, I prefer the Hi-power... and I comfortably wear it on a dog-tag neck lanyard under a casual shirt/sweater.

I've tried to wear a heavier brass Kilimanjaro, too, but I can't quite get used to it on a neck lanyard. The Brass McK -- like any brass Peak -- does look super classy. It depends on how/where you'll carry it. My old brass Kilimanjaro is kinda collectible, but it gathers dust in my light locker.

The new Mck versions are significantly brighter than my old-style Mck's. Because the new Hi-power is brighter than the old Hi-power, I'd think that'd be plenty of light for most tasks you'd give it. The Ultra-power tails-off pretty fast. If you want this light for EDC and emergency back-up purposes, the Hi-power's longer runtime (vs. the Ultra) might be a real advantage.

Some guys find the brass Peaks a bit heavy for EDC pocket carry. On a keychain (car keys) any kind of weighty addition has also been known to cause problems (accellerated wear) with auto key-ignitions. In short, I think the aluminum HA Peaks "wear" better -- but then, I prefer durable brunettes over flashier blondes!

The way you'll deploy this light is worth discussing. The McK is best used for brief (5 to 10 seconds) intermittent spurts. It'll get pretty hot if you run it for several minute-long shots -- and that heat will drain the 123 battery fast. The McK's size efficiency doesn't leave much extra "meat" to be a heat-sink.

Old or new style, the Peak McK is a fine little light and a very good value.

Last edited:

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
I have both. You have to go outside and do a direct compare on throw, side by side to see any difference, which is minor. Around the house, the High Output easily lights up a large room. I like these lights a lot. Mine are the HA Alu pocket types, which I likewise like.

The 2 AA body is worth getting, for a minor additional cost you end up with a very unique and useful house/utility light. I'd also suggest the five bucks more for the Kroll switch is worth it.

I spoke to Robin about that very issue. She, as you know, is the president of Peak. She said that the high power will generally have a longer lifespan than the ultra because the ultra is run so hard. Anyway, she convinced me to go with the high power.

I have a bunch of Peak lights and, like you, prefer the brass. Even over stainless steel. Now there is a new temptation: Titanium. :banghead:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, gentlemen, for all your helpful comments. I was leaning towards the HP myself, but a fellow CPFer has made me a good offer on a brass Ultra, so I have a deal pending on it.

I won't be giving it heavy duty use, so I hope longevity of the LEDs doesn't become an issue. As to runtime, I have a couple of unprotected 600 mAh R123s that have been sitting around unemployed that I was planning to put to work on it, and if I can get 30-45 minutes of good output on one of those, I'll be happy.

I am a bit concerned about heat---does the brass help with that?

Also, how is the McKinley at draining partially depleted primary CR123s?

Once again, thanks very much for your guidance.

Andrew

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Andrew -- some follow-up thoughts:

The McKinley heat issue really isn't any big deal. Since I only use mine in intermittent spurts, it really never heats up.

The only time it ever got hot was when I tried pocket carry... and accidentally left the head "almost" on -- and then it apparently twisted itself "on" inside my pocket. (Sure got my attention!) Depending on subtle threading variations, some Peaks are more prone to doing this -- if you don't turn the head fully "off." My brass Kilimanjaro head-to-body thread fit is slightly looser (too smooth?). I fixed that by simply slipping a 15 cent O-ring (from Home Depot) onto the external body/head space to enhance twist friction. Not necessary, just extra insurance.

I also forgot to mention that RMSK (another Peak dealer) has some pretty good close-out deals on the "old" 7-LED McKinleys: $30 for the HA Std. power, and $35 for the brass Hi-power. Check their website.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:
Andrew -- some follow-up thoughts:

The McKinley heat issue really isn't any big deal. Since I only use mine in intermittent spurts, it really never heats up.

The only time it ever got hot was when I tried pocket carry... and accidentally left the head "almost" on -- and then it apparently twisted itself "on" inside my pocket. (Sure got my attention!) Depending on subtle threading variations, some Peaks are more prone to doing this -- if you don't turn the head fully "off." My brass Kilimanjaro head-to-body thread fit is slightly looser (too smooth?). I fixed that by simply slipping a 15 cent O-ring (from Home Depot) onto the external body/head space to enhance twist friction. Not necessary, just extra insurance.

I also forgot to mention that RMSK (another Peak dealer) has some pretty good close-out deals on the "old" 7-LED McKinleys: $30 for the HA Std. power, and $35 for the brass Hi-power. Check their website.

Thanks, TW. Your comments are always detailed and well informed. I was tempted by the RMSK closeouts, but decided to go with the "new" style.
I also took the plunge on a CPF Special tonight, and am hoping that it and the McK. are a happy couple---pocket thrower and pocket flood. They do say opposites attract. We'll see.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Thanks for the good thoughts, Andrew.

With both a new McKinley AND the hot new CPF Special, you've got two "VHS" (Very Hot $hit) pocket lights! Did you get the brass or HA McK?

I forgot to mention that my "old" McK is a decent "battery drainer," too. However, when its output diminishes to near-AAA Matterhorn/Infinity Ultra-G levels, I just replace the battery (usually with a Duracell or Sanyo), because it seems to me that the McK's forte is its neat size/weight-to-output ratio. Still, the McK Hi-power's decent "tail" could be beneficial in an emergency scenario.

For CR123 battery-draining chores, I prefer the SF E2/KL1 and Inova X5. They'll run on 123s after my SF L5 LED or Pelican M6 incan have spit 'em out.

Enjoy those new lights, dude, and give us your timely field-test feedback.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
TW, I went with the brass McKinley. Probably makes it less "practical, but I just couldn't get over how beautiful the brass looks and how good it feels in the hand.

I'll post my impressions of both the McKinley and the CPF Special after they arrive next week and I get to play with them a bit. I'm hoping that the recommended intermittent use on each makes them a good "tag team".

Andrew