Brightest Possible Surefire Executive

FredM

Enlightened
I have a E2e. Would like to stuff the most lumens in it as possible.

- Would like it to have a 5 min runtime or longer.
-Prefer Rechargeable
- no cell extenders, must be stock length and size using the SF bezel body and switch.

What would you guys reccomend.

larryk

Enlightened
There has been a few threads about modding the e2e using a cut down P61 LA using 2 primary 123 cells, and a cut down P91 LA using 2 unprotected rechargable 123's. The e2e gets warm fast though.

RCatR

Enlightened
Would it be possible to bore out the e2e[or e2d] head and toss in a p91, thus only having to chop the springs down and preserving the p91's throw?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
5min runtime ... :D :D ... interesting requirement.

Look here:
http://www.dmcleish.com/CPF/E2-P61/index.html

And the same goes for the P91 with the rechargeable solution proposed above, but I have no idea about safety concerns with the Li-Ion solution.

Then there is the VitalGear Head that accepts P60,61,90,91 LAs and screws right on the E-Series lights, there you would not need to modify the LAs, but the head isn't the greated quality.

vg_F2_b.jpg

Then you can mod the Exe head to accept a nice LuxV and drive it at spec at 700mA for a lot of lumens and even more heat, but you get roughly an hour runtime on 2xCR123 and, depending on bin, a lot of LED lumens.

http://www.dmcleish.com/CPF/E2-5W/index.html

OR ... departing from you requirements ... there are a ton of E-Series compatible heads to screw on your E2e and have the same set-up as above with more mass for thermal management.

While we're on it, you can also use an E2C adaptor to screw a C-Series head on the E2e and have the LAs you wish like mentioned above without any modifications.

http://www.dmcleish.com/CPF/E2E/index.html

bernie

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
The p61/91 is probably your current best bet, but that's overheating fast. I prefer the Scorpion/Strion mod with rechargeable battery, it's more functional, and still brite!
daloosh

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I was in the same predicament, always wanting more light out of small lights!!

My host was the E2D Defender....

I bought a P61. Thats it, just the P61.

Be very patient, dig all of the white stuff that holds the bulb in the "hole" of the reflector. Next get a sharp razor blade and cut the adhesive holding the plastic base onto the P61 reflector. Now that you have that reflector off, you should have a decent looking Lamp assembly. Your not out of the woods yet.

Next you want to take your dremel, now you can go ahead and advise against this, but.... You have to dremel away the tip of the bulb very carefully with the sandpaper drum attachment. Just do it little by little, the lamp wont fit into the reflector without taking a lil off the top. Make sure you dont dremel to much though or else you'll have to start over, a $30 mistake. :ohgeez:

Now, you'll notice it still doesnt want to all fit together! Well, put your cuttin disc on your dremel and shave lil by lil off of the battery springs until they fit.

Ahhhhh..... Now turn on your 120 lumen E2D, what a donut hole!!! :mad:

No worries, just add some Mag hotwire shims to the lamp assembly until it gets the focus you like.

Now youve got a bad a** little pocket rocket that begs for action. Please note, that this set up can't be ran for the full runtime. I havent tried it but I am almost sure the batteries will get too hot and shut off on you. The longest i have ran this set up is 5-6 minutes. Want longer runtimes, just put the regular bulb back in there ya fool! :laughing:

I use this set up when going downtown, where you know you'll only need short busrsts of lights, and yoou wanna talk about a big bright spot that suprisingly throws!

Just try it sometime when your bored, it works!

underdust

Newly Enlightened
daloosh said:
.... I prefer the Scorpion/Strion mod with rechargeable battery, it's more functional, and still brite!
daloosh
Thinking along those lines, how about using a Scorpion/Strion socket by fivemega, along with a Carley H1499 from Litho123 and two rechargeable 123's from AW. How would that compare to one of the cut-down surefire LAs?

majr

Newly Enlightened
H1499 is too long in the fivemega socket, the tip hits the glass, it may fit if the tip is sanded down.

paulr

Flashaholic
this_is_nascar was offering a mod for sale for a while, where he put a P61 lamp into the E2e lamp assembly. There was also a config where he used a P91 lamp and an extender to run it on 3 cells in the extended E2e body. I guess with the 3.6v lith ion cells, you could use the P91 with two cells. Some people also put the lith ion cells into the Streamlight TL2 (similar light to E2e, maybe an eentsy bit larger) and then put in a TL3 bulb (TL3 is Streamlight's 3-cell light, sort of like a 9P with a midsized turbohead). The TL2 and TL3 use bi-pin bulbs that are physically interchangeable, so that particular setup is very easy to do, not even a "mod", you just take a TL2 and swap out the bulb and batteries.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
daloosh said:
The p61/91 is probably your current best bet, but that's overheating fast. I prefer the Scorpion/Strion mod with rechargeable battery, it's more functional, and still brite!
daloosh

I am sure it's been done, but why not use the Scorpion socket and TL3 bulb with two RCR123s in the E2E.