Inova X0 or X03 or T3??

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Hi all! Wanted ya'll opinion on the above mentioned flashlights. Can't access the inova website. It seems to be down.:awman:

I read a few other posts that said that the X03 is "over-rated" and that the X03 and the X0 are about the same in output and throw, despite the 50' difference in throw as claimed by the manufacturer....

Intending to buy one, so need your opinion and help on deciding which one. Thanks! :wave:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually owned all three of them... and sold all three of them...
rolleye11.gif

For me, the T3 and X03 are too large to ever carry in a normal sized pocket if needed. The X0 is a nice size though... Other than the difference in throw, the X03 and T3 are only about 50% brighter than the X0 and the X0 gets about another hour and a half or output in regulation. I know most forum members are of the opinion that brighter is ALWAYS better but I don't thing the entire time I carried the X0 I ever had a situation where I actually thought 'this isn't bad, but boy, the X03 would be a lot better'.

The Inova lights are a quality product. Good regulation, nice throw, great looks. Some have reported problems with tailcaps but they've always done well for me. I could go for a Lux III in the X0 body. And in case you weren't sure, the T3 and the X03 are the same light except for the different texturing and the T3 comes with a traditional clickie rather than the push momentary/twist constant of the X03.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I might choose the T3 after all.

But on comparing with Surefire's non-LED torches they are about the same price and have better output and throw than the Inova t3's. So I'm stuck as to whether to buy the T3 or stick to incan lights...

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Hi guys! I'm new here, but this is almost the exact question I've been pondering, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to jump in.

What about the T2? According to flaslightreviews, it has less output and slightly less throw that the XO, though official descriptions of the lights list the T2 as 40 lumens to the XO's 32. (At least I think that's official, I can't get into the Inova website either). I understand that manufacturers' output ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt, but I would think that ratings by the same manufacturer of two lights in their own product line could give a fair idea of at least relative output. I really like the feel of my X5T, but I like the looks and tail switch of the T line, so if there's no significant difference between the XO and the T2 in terms of output and that subjective satisfaction you get from holding a nice, solid, well-built instrument, then I'd rather get the T2. Is there anyone here who's had both who can comment?

Last edited:

LED BriCK

Enlightened
I'm sorry, I was asking about the T2, not the T3. I'd love the T3, but it's just a little too big I think for EDC. My wife would make way too much fun of me if I carried that around on my belt, but the T2 maybe I could hide.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of variables that go into how bright the light will be. I was under the impression that the X0 and T2 were pretty much the same and the X03 and the T3 were pretty much the same. The X series is older than the T series so when they came out, R-bin Lux Is probably didn't exist... heck R-bins might not have existed! It would probably be easier for Inova production lines to use the same bin Lux Is in the T2s and the X0s rather than keeping different inventory for each. Also, even if they did use P-bins in the X0s and Q-bins in the T2s, those bins are a 'range' and can be as little as 0.1 lumen difference.

Basically, it's still the luck of the draw. I think if you bought 10 X0s and 10 T2s, the average output of each model would be extremely similar and I wouldn't go by test results of random samples to dictate whether you buy an X0 over a T2. I'd get the one that had the switch you prefer.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
T2 isnt very bright... it is more of a runtime light. Fenix L1P would be a good option... there are a lot of other choices. Are you strictly looking at Inova?

-David

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Fairly strictly looking at Inova. I like to try to keep an open mind, but I'm so infatuated with my X5T that I kind of just want a more powerful version. I also really like the regulation and long run time of the T2. To be perfectly honest, I really don't need another flashlight, I really want it more as a geek toy. Until I found you guys a few weeks ago, I didn't realize that there were other people like me who just like flashlights for flashlights' sake. :rock:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've recently tried the T2. It is a nicely built light, but a little dim for me. I went with the T3 which is brighter, but you must be prepared to deal with a bigger light. Maybe you should look at the L1P or even the L2P. Good lights in a small package (especially the L1P).

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Well I went to flashlightreviews.com and did some research and it seems that the the T3 outperforms the X03 but the XO outperforms the T2.

Statistics: T3 - Throw (2100), Output (2800)
X03-Throw (1960), Output (2850)

dim

Enlightened
I have both an Inova T1 and XO3 with a clickie. I think that the T1 and T2 have near common brightness. While the T1 is a sweet flashlight, I have to admit that I just don't get it. True, the typical cry of "not enough spill" applies to this flashlight, but more so, I don't think that if the T1 was designed for throw, that it has enough of that either - although I guess it's not bad for a single cell. The T3 is an excellent flashlight. It's a bit tight and quite bright close up, but for its intended mission, a mid distance LED thrower, it does a GREAT job. While something tighter may out throw the T3, for those mid distances, the T3's spot becomes quite large enabling one to actually see what he or she is looking at. With a touch of pink and yellow and VERY white, my XO3 has the best, most complex color of any LED that I've seen yet. A real lottery winner! I don't understand the attitude of "too big to EDC". I EDC a Gerber LX 3.0!! - because, for me, it's the right flashlight for the job. For those times when sporting such a flashlight is inappropriate or when I anticipate that I'll need a pocket thrower, at about the same length as a Mini, I'll carry my XO3.

dim

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. I've gleaned (from cratz2 in this thread and others elsewhere) that this discrepancy may be explained by binning (the Luxeon lottery) and that these particular specimens that were reviewed may not be representative of the entire line of XO/XO3/T2/T3. On the other hand, T2 is rated at 40 lumens and XO at 32, so I would have expected at least the output of the T2 to be higher, on average, if not the throw. I was wondering if maybe some throw was sacrificed for spill in the T2, but my understanding is that they both use the same optics and neither are known for spill. That's why I was looking for anyone who might have some real-world experience with these lights.
Of course, I know the correct answer is to just buy all 4 plus the L1P, but I'd have to do that surreptitiously over the course of months so as not to get in trouble with my wife...:sssh:

(Whoops, sorry, I was replying to nutz about lights)

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim said:
I don't understand the attitude of "too big to EDC". I EDC a Gerber LX 3.0!! - because, for me, it's the right flashlight for the job.

I didn't mean to sound like a winey butt with my too large comment, but different strokes for different folks, I guess... I just think that if you look at the X03 or T3 next to something like a Vital Gear 2 cell body with the BOG Lux III module which is quite comparable output wise, throw wise and runtime wise, the T3 is HUGE!

I mean, if the T3 isn't too big to EDC, then I guess a Mag 2C might not be too big either, but it is for me and since the original poster is new to the forum, I just wanted to point out that the T3/X03 was quite a bit larger than most other 2x123 lights.

That's all.
wink2.gif

dim

Enlightened
I agree, cratz - to EDC a Gerber LX3 is a bit extreme. That's not to say that I wouldn't appreciate something smaller. I just enjoy its brightness, pattern, and free runtime with NiMH batts. My reaction was really more a a response to the "My Solitaire is too big" kind of banter that I've been reading more of as of late here on CPF. There is also a lot of talk as to how to carry, even something as small as a Fenix - holster/sheath, "man sack", U-Haul, etc., just put the damn thing in your pocket. Sure, the T3/XO3 is a bit bigger than many 2xCR123 flashlights, but as the XO3 is my only flashlight in this class, it's not a comparison that I can directly make. By its self, I don't think that the T3/XO3 is THAT big. My point is, that if it's the flashlight that you want, circumstances permitting, buy it, use it, EDC it and, most of all, enjoy it.

dim

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe both the X and T series have the Tiros lens system don't they? The packaging and advertising say they do. I have the X0 and X03, and I like them both. The X03 is brighter by a bit, but close enough that if I had to choose between them, the longer battery life of the X0 and slimmer profile might be my choice, lucky I dont have to choose because they are two of my favorite lights, because I like throw more than sidespill.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
cheapo said:
There is a noticable difference in throw between the T3 and X0 in throw. But there are some other lights that you could choose, unless you just want Inova. If not, This is a good one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

There is a review at: www.flashlightreviews.com

-David

sorry to side track to something completly diffrent

on ebay with the photo of the light, who would mount the light in the way of the iron sights? :thumbsdow

Night_Visionlens_open.jpg

a real mp5 tac light should be in the hand guard :grin2:
gp_mp5_surefire_1281.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I think the light is just to the right of the iron sights. Having said that, if I was primary entry in a very low level light situation, I would rather have a good light that iron sights ANY day!.

To the original poster, the T3 is still a decent choice if you don't mind the slightly added bulk. Granted there is relatively little sidespill, but the size of the hotspot is quite decent compared to some other lights. Also keep in mind that the laws of physics still applies... If you have the same emitter and the same power source, then generally the larger the hotspot, the less throw you are going to have... and the more sidespill, the less throw you will have. I like sidespill myself and when I need throw, I prefer to have something like a Lux III Magmod which gives more throw than any small <$100 LED light I know of.

Here's the T3 at 15 feet vs a Q3 at the same distance. Only compare the beam shape, not brightness as this Q3 has a TW0J star and runs on R123 cells.

IMG_1771%20Inova%20T3a.jpg

IMG_1847%20Q3%20TW0J%20Higha.jpg