xnova 5led or similar

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have this light? I can't find any reviews, so I'd welcome any opinions.

I like to keep a few cheap lights around the house for kid's lights, battery drainers, and loaner/giveaways. I've been happy with the Ghost II's but I thought I'd try some others. Here are my criteria:

- single AA
- tailstand
- reasonable quality, same or better than a Dorcy 1AA
- water-resistant, would pass ledmuseum's "dreaded suction test" ;)
- brighter than an unmodded Dorcy AA/AAA
- runtime over brightness, must be able to run on old batteries

Thanks in advance for any help.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be better off with the Xnova 1AA/8LED.

There is a "newer" model that is very bright; more so than the 12 LED "Grey Ghost", or the 5LED model.

The brighter model does NOT have a "lip" around the front, and loads the battery "backwards" (negative end goes in first).

Nice little lights, so nice that friends have talked me out of about twenty of them.

I'll look around for a source.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, JohnK.

I thought about these, but flashlightreviews lists only a 2 hour runtime for them. It seems like they would go through old batteries fast, or not light up at all. I'm the volunteer battery recycler at my workplace, and I like to get a bit more use out of them before I drop them off at the library.

teststrips

Enlightened
i have the 5 led model that i bought within the last 6 months. Not sure what version it is v1-v3, but its not what I expected... my single LED Arc AAA, and a solitaire I modded with a 26K led are both brighter than this light. Tint is actually more blue than my new arc, which I consider too blue. I was truely underwhelmed... but again I think price, and it was cheaper than a minimag, so I shouldn't expect too much.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've had about 5 of them, and one XNova knockoff. I bought them about a year ago (11 months ago, maybe) so I doubt they are the newest versions. One of them was acceptably bright and had a good tint. One other of them was bright enough and had good tint, but had a severe flickering problem and I couldn't trust it to stay turned off so I gave it and one other to a forum member with the idea that he would keep one and mod the other one with UV LEDs.

On the issue of the 5 LED vs the 8 LED models, I have two of the 8 LED models, one of which is supposed to be the brightest v3 'latest greatest' one. It is impressively bright, but runtime is only about 3-3.5 hours on a 2500 mAh NiMH cell. The older ones ran for 6-8 hours on 1700 mAh NiMH cells but again, the ones I had were not the newest of the 5 LED models.

Another thing is all of my 8 LED lights will tailstand, but none of my 5 LED lights would tailstand.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

I think I'll stick with the Ghost II's because that's been a handy and reliable light. Glad I asked before I ordered, though.