HELP! I have an incredibly bad neihbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colubrid

Enlightened
Need some help choosing a spotlight that plugs into a wall unit that costs less than $100.

My neihbor and I have been having some problems for the past 7 years. Our backyards face each other and are less then 25 yards apart (house to house) and they have 2 FLASHING spotlights aimed at out bedroom window for the past 2 years. They put it on auto flash so we have covered up our windows (nice large bedroom windows to:mecry: ) with 2 blankets and a sheet. Some of the flashing still escapes through the cracks into our bedrooms.

I called the police and they cannot do anything. The only advice I got from law enfocement was one of them suggested getting a pellet gun and shoot the lights out (YA RIGHT) because thats what he would do. I also called code enforcement and (unbelievably) they are not in violation of any code in our area. Evidently the neihbors did their homework and they are in there full right to do this.

This all started when the niehbors brought home 4 very large AND VERY LOUD adult dogs about 7 years ago (2 adult St Bernards and 2 mutts) . They placed all four dogs in a small cage built in the backyard not 12 yards from our bedroom :shakehead . The dogs barked the entire night from day one. I went to talk to them several times and even wrote them a nice couteous letter before calling animal control. They eventually were cited 16x (yes SIXTEEN violations) because after the animal control officer could not serve directly and could only leave the citations at their door or mailbox. So the sheriifs had to issue a warrant. This went on for almost another 9 months. They did not answer the door and disconected their doorbell because the sheriffs would come knocking at there door during the night. Evidently it is illegal for the sheriff to enter the premises unless it is a felony act. They finally got the summons from a tricky sheriff that caught them outside with a fake phone call. So after 12 months of barking they finally had to go to court. The judge however did not take any of the avoidance or the attempted servings into account. The sheriffs and animal control officers all testified with their difficulties but the judge threw out all 16 citations and reduced it down to (1) one even after the testemonies of several sheriff deputies and animal control officers. . The fine was only $125 . After that they kept the dogs inside and then eventually got rid of them. Since the dogs were gone and the neihbors were mad at us they decided to install two spot lights directed at our bedroom window and set them on constant flash ( mind you this is aproximately 22 yards from our 2nd story bedroom). This flashing has continued for 2 years. Then this november and in addition to the flasing lights. They built a fence around the perimeter of their yard that has 23 lights all around it. You can see these lights shining into the night sky from miles away. The new lights they added are only 7 yards from our house. Their house also sits on a hill and looks down into our house so I cannot install a spot on the gound floor to shine at there window. It has to be installed on the roof of our house.

I figure this is the right place for some ideas to get them to stop. I would think an incredibly powerful spot would bother them(?) Either way it is not illegal for me do this. After 2 years of this I doubt any other means will make them stop.

We don't have a lot of money right now so I need a plug in spot for under $100.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you put a reflective coating on your windows?

Get a paintball gun and paint there spotlights!

If all else falls when they leave home turn off their power!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wtf: I feel for ya...

some other things I could think of as annoying... Use a strobe light at a slow flash rate, 2-4 flasher persecond. Use a freznel (sp?) lens or large magnifying lenses to focus the light at their house. This could be done fairly cheap, and with directed light you wont bother any other neighbors, and the focused strobing light would be annoying to them, especially if there were 2 or 3 lights.
Jeff

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I knew there were real a--holes out there, but it's hard for me to imagine it since I've never been around people so inconsiderate (only encountered clueless people so far, not inherently punks).

I wonder if it's possible to reflect the light back at them? Is there no neighborhood association where you can complain? Maybe some other people here will have better ideas.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nice neighbors you got :green: How can they be in "full right" of strobing a light directly into your window? :rant:Sounds like harrassment to me...

plant some tall trees to block the beam?
Seek community mediation services?
Civil court?

I can't believe a LEO suggested you shoot the lights. That'll get you into more trouble.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I would get window tint with that mirror effect and put it up on the windows. I would also be happy that he has to pay a expensive light bill just to **** me off.

There is a lot I would do, but I can't say it in a open forum without possibly incriminating myslef :sssh:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
An escalating light war is not going to work. They would surely enjoy it.
I don't know where you live, but a place where the cops will not even attempt to deal with a situation like this is not good.

My recommendation is... Edited for stupid and illegal advise. :shakehead

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledean

Enlightened
Can you put some fairly big dressing mirrors (thrift shop) and position it do that the light is reflected right back at them ?. Use the power of their lights againgst them..
These guys are really bad..

Last edited:

taiji

Enlightened
find a large mirror and position it to reflect the light back to their bedroom windows if possible. Otherwise a slingshot with ice shots will do.

Ledean - great idea!

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
Thanks for the replys and sorry about the original long post but if I would have said I needed a spotlight recommendation to shine on my neihbors house without a lot of explanation I would have gotten a lot of flack. I needed to explain the whole thing before asking what spot to get. This spot has a specific purpose in mind. It must shine through the window and to be able to sit in the rain withstand temps in the 30's (Atlanta, Georgia).

I don't want to violate any laws so shooting the lights with a paintball gun or any other device is out. Besides the lights are cheap for them to replace and i risk a felony. Trying to cut their electricty off and other violations will just get me in trouble with the law. I am thinking thats what they wanted me to do from the beginning.

The reflectors on the windows that were suggested by many of you are not going to work well because they just installed all those light on the new fence just 7 yards from our house as well. So even if the flasing spots are off, the fence lights still stay on. Maybe I need to post pics for you all to see what I am talking about. They are on a steep hill right above our house. Bad place for us to be.

We have been goiing through this for 2 years and there is no relief in sight. Up to now I have not done any offensive to them. I was hoping the thrill of lighting our house up (and the electric bill) would have worn off for them by now.

Last edited:

LouRoy

Enlightened
I can't believe that flashing spotlights are not against some type of code :huh2:

If not, I would first ask them to turn the lights off or to constant on.

If they will not agree, I would contact my local legislator or councilperson about making this against the code. No one has the right to be so obnoxious.

I can think of several other things I might do, but none of them are lawful. :touche:

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about one of those 1,000,000 CP spotlights, from walmart, target, big lots Etc.....

Cheap, waterproof (IIRC) . might have to mod a small bit with a relay to remotely turn it on and off.

Otherwise, what kind of power are you looking to throw at them? You can get a CHEAP (after Christmas), outdoor spotlight holder. Get a 100-250W outdoor spot/flood light and an extention cord.

Or are you looking to have something pin-spot directally at them???

Jeff

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure a "Good" lawyer can do something about it. If they can get farmers to stop speading poop on their own fields just because some new people moved into the area and didn't like the smell, I'm sure they can put a stop to your neighbor's lights.

dim

Enlightened
Contact the media. - Print, radio, television, local, national.
Make as big a noise of it as you can.
Write an editorial.
Take photos.
If photographing a neighbor is a violation of some kind, photograph your home with the lights flashing upon it.
Everybody loves a good beamshot.

dim

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think dim is pointing in the right direction. If legislation is not working, try the press. Local TV is ALWAYS looking for human interest stories like this. Dog saves boy, cat eats mailman, potholes cause female driver to break nails while driving.... you know, that kind of stuff.

Jeff

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
colubrid,

How about getting some convex mirrors, you know the kind that are used in warehouses and on buses to show you whats in your blindspots. Then mount them on posts and place them in line between your house and the offending lights.

Or you can wage your own psycological (sp?) warfare. Mount cameras on your side of the fence pointing at their house. They don't have to be real, just look real!

Call your local TV/radio news channel and see if they can intervene. Bad press can go along way.

taiji - the ice cube idea is brilliant!

Flash Gordon - you're hardcore man.

Status
Not open for further replies.