flashlight ONLY for throw?

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
are their any flashlights that have a beam like the Aurora 2AA?, very tight focused beam with no sidespill? of course i would like it a little brighter than 1.5W, something like a 5W?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes... surefire KL3 and kl1 heads, but they are lux 3s not 5.

-David

billvan

Newly Enlightened
Mag 3D with PR3 module from Craftsman 3 AAA 1 watt tool light gives impressive throw. Very close to spotlight in LED form. Hot spot is brighter than any 3 ro 5 watt I own! :wow:

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
is there modification required to throw the 1Watter into the mag? like cutting drilling, welding, etc?

if not im going right now to get it :laughing:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL3 is probably tighter beam than the KL1.

Also, check out the Pelican Sabre lights and the Recoil lights. They fire back into the reflector and have 0 side spill. www.pelican.com

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
Cabelas has a 5 watt LED light with no side spill that is two stage (hi-lo). It has a square beam pattern too that is more usable than I would have thought.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai TM115 can have a small spot and therefore a lot of throw. It is a 2-stage, 2-CR123. It has a slightly bigger head than the average light like a Streamlight TL-2 or Pelican M6.

billvan

Newly Enlightened
pr5owner said:
is there modification required to throw the 1Watter into the mag? like cutting drilling, welding, etc?

if not im going right now to get it :laughing:

No Mods required!! It replaces the PR3 bulb, just drop it in!!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever light it is, it'd be one with a TIR optic rather than a typical reflector.

The Inova T series has a pretty focused beam.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
went to sears, MEC, some bike shop, and some other place.

... wasted 3 dollars for parking, and got nothing, sears canada sucks, they have nothing

the only 1W lights they had were a 3D and a headlamp, neither of those are using PR3 bulbs, i even bought the headlamp to make sure. i bought the lamp walked back to my car and wiped out my tool kit from the truck, took that light apart in like 2 mins. then threw it back together and returned it. i went to another till so the person wouldnt recognize me haha

MEC does have niteize mini mag led replacements but those are useless, they also had the gerber infinity ultra but for $32CAD its not an appealing purchase. oh well ill just wait till my 3C 3W Nuwai light comes in

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
The LED Beam 3C has a lot of throw; the hotspot is much brighter than the sidespill, and even that can be eliminated by modifying the lens to allow only the hotspot to show. At $35, it's cheaper than buying a 3D M@G and Craftsman 3AAA tool light-- although I have a 2D (3C) & 3D M@G with that very same bulb in it!

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
Inferno said:
The LED Beam 3C has a lot of throw; the hotspot is much brighter than the sidespill, and even that can be eliminated by modifying the lens to allow only the hotspot to show. At $35, it's cheaper than buying a 3D M@G and Craftsman 3AAA tool light-- although I have a 2D (3C) & 3D M@G with that very same bulb in it!

tried that already, ledbeam does not ship to canada, rawwwar! the one on ebay is like $10 more plus $12 shipping so thats just a total ripoff

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the new high tech lights available today it's easy to forget about some older, larger, good throwing bargains. My knowlege, through use, is limited to a few 1990's plastic Pelicans. Hey, no pink flamingos here!

The 2C xenon Super PeliLight, 3C Super SabreLight, and 4AA Stealth with alkaline or rechageable cell lamp assemblies. These three are mostly for throw because they're dive rated. The Super Peli is super tight in the beam.

These and versions like them aren't making news but still are valid options.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxIII Emitters are brighter than Lux V's all day long.

If you make a Mag Mod for example from a LUX III and an idendical Light with a Lux V. You will find the beam from the light equiped with the LUX III will be tighter and brighter than the LUX V. The lux V beam is a larger wider beam.
The question was about a tight long throw flashlight. If you want throw then the lux III is the way to go not the Lux V.
Yaesumofo

cheapo said:
yes... surefire KL3 and kl1 heads, but they are lux 3s not 5.

-David

Last edited:

Latest posts