Warm White LuxI's

UVvis

Enlightened
Has anyone played with these, and if so, what did you think about the light color these gave off?

I'm wanting to get some warmer white LED's for a fixed lighting project. I realize these aren't as effecient in lumens per watt as most other luxeons. But I'm not sure if I want to go with white LuxIII's and add some amber or red LED's to get the warmer light yet.

Thanks

Biggimo1

Newly Enlightened
I've got 1 and I really dont like all the light output that you loose. I would do like you said, and try different color combinations until you find a warmer color. Otherwise maybe try using 4 per light. That may may give some good light. The warm whites are cheap.

Brian

UVvis

Enlightened
Thanks,

How was the color output? How well would you relate it to an incandescent bulb?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
a mix of 3 white and 1 amber is absolutely wonderful!..

Image-D137DC7916DE11DA.jpg

this picture shows a typical luxeson color on the left and the BAM+ with 3 UX1L and 1 amber emitter on the right. The difference in color definition and clarity is astounding.

-awr

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some white LuxI's and I'm very disappointed of the light output. The color is very nice and warm, but the intensity is too low for a LuxI. I think the mix of a few white LuxI's with an amber LuxI will be much brighter and more efficient, while it also produces a warm white color.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont think they have a place in a flashlight, but for general lighting I think they definitely do. i think they are actually a little "warmer" in color than a regular incandescent. Just 1 isn't really good for anything, but a couple of them makes a nice light. I'm using them in some outdoor low voltage lighting conversions that I'm doing and for the little lantern lights they look quite nice. I find the bright blue/white led white color just too unusual for those, makes them look like some new version of the cheap solar LED lights.

I am using luxIII's for some low voltage spots, and for that the color is OK, but it just doesn't look right in the little lanterns.

UVvis

Enlightened
Thanks guys,

I'm really not worried about their lower output as I can make up for that in numbers. Plus future is selling these for under 3 dollars each if I buy a load of them.

James S, your use sounds similar to mine. I'm interested in light quality over light quantity on this, and color rendition is important.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 bucks? for real.. they would be excellent for under-counter lighting I think i'm going to check into this. Much cheaper than mixing 1 amber to 3 white with lux3s.

-awr

UVvis

Enlightened
I was looking on future electronics, they had singles for about 3.60 each and that dropped to something like sub 3 dollars if you are getting a couple hundred of them.

Adding, looks like 2.99 for a reel of 100 emitters. At 3.60 each for a single star, and 3 dollars for an individual emitter if I'm reading prices right. At those prices it really wouldn't be worth it for a group buy.

Also, I've found a few AC-DC drivers for led's. Anyone have any drivers in this class they recommend to use standard United States AC?

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely be interested in looking into this. i put under cab. lighting in my kitchen.. and doing more jobs like that would be nice.. i think i could handle my bench having a lighting bar with a dozen of these emitters.

-awr

stamat

Newly Enlightened
I believe Prolight and Nichia offer better efficiency high powered warm white LEDs (35 and 32 lumens at 1W).
Check the warm white version of the Io moon at LedSupply.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought one of the Io moon emitters to check it out i was underwhelmed.

i just want a nice Lux3 or K2 that is not 'blue-white' but is more like 3500K.. not the dirty yellow of the current warm white luxeons.

-awr