Upgrade for a Lightsaber?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So for Christmas, my wife got my son and I his-and-his Lightsabers (mine's the purple one, of course).

They're the cheapy $8 Hasbro versions that use 2 C-cells and a PR base bulb.
What should I do to soup these babies up?
I'd like to keep the C cells so I'm stuck with 3V.

Ideas?
I've looked at the TerraLux and the EverLED.
Any incandescent options?
I'd like not to break the bank but I would like a little bit of Wow.

:touche:

carrot

Flashaholic
You could use those C-cell adaptors that let you put AAs in, for more voltage... I was thinking maybe a Surefire E1e bulb would work, but they probably require lithiums for a reason.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a flashlight chiefly with a traffic wand attached to cross the streets of Washington, DC. Nighttime isn't a problem, but in the day, I need a wand that can light up like a Lightsaber. I've been trying several combos of lamp assembly and wand. The best combo I've found is a G&P G120 12V lamp assembly with a Surefire 1.25-inch orange wand. It was impressively bright even on a slightly overcast morning. But my G120 lamps kept blowing on lithium-ion cells, and every 9V lamp I've tried has fallen short of the "light saber" category.

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
GJW said:
So for Christmas, my wife got my son and I his-and-his Lightsabers (mine's the purple one, of course).

They're the cheapy $8 Hasbro versions that use 2 C-cells and a PR base bulb.
What should I do to soup these babies up?
I'd like to keep the C cells so I'm stuck with 3V.

Ideas?
I've looked at the TerraLux and the EverLED.
Any incandescent options?
I'd like not to break the bank but I would like a little bit of Wow.

touche.gif

First of all you sound like Tim the tool man. Second, you say, "mine's the purple one, of course", in such a manly fashion.
yellowlaugh.gif

Steve

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sburr23 said:
.....Second, you say, "mine's the purple one, of course", in such a manly fashion.
yellowlaugh.gif

Steve

What?
Purple's not manly?
:p

I really want to leave everything pretty much stock since it is for a 1-year old.
I'm just wondering what I can get with a PR base that will be an improvement over the original.

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
:) Since everybody is aware of what the color purple stands for/means/is associated with, I think it's just fine that your so vocal about you having a purple one. It shows that your very secure in your masculinity. I have a pink t-shirt that I wear on occasion for the same reason. Nobody has bugged me about it yet. Although I'm not sure I'm ready for the purple flag, I definately support your right to.:rock:

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've seen Star Wars, I know what's up with the purple lightsaber. I'm just messing with you. Have fun with the lightsabers.

Steve

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sburr23 said:
Yeah, I've seen Star Wars, I know what's up with the purple lightsaber. I'm just messing with you. Have fun with the lightsabers.
Steve
hmmm, I thought I saw the movies also, also played nearly all of the games, but whats up with the purple one? :confused:

When thinking of the 2C as a regular flashlight, ANY Led will, without problem, outshine it. So for the saber, that should be the same.
Try the terralux or the EverLED, or (better) try a mod trading runtime for brightness.
Thus You could use led in the saber color, also increasing the overall appearance.

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
I had to look up the purple one myself and I found this.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/69de/ I don't even remember Mace Windu. But I'm only about 20% star wars nut.
As far as what the color itself stands for, nowdays, I found this.
The Reverand Jerry Falwell said of the Tellatubby character 'Tinky Winky', "The character, whose voice is obviously that of a boy, has been found carrying a red purse," reports sleuth Falwell. "He is purple -- the gay pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay pride symbol."
But, enough about all that. Now I'm kinda curious about the sound of these sabers. GJW, do they make a sound when you hit something? According to the link I put at the top of this post, the ones they are talking about put out a pretty cool sound.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I've used an EverLED in my 3 year old son's Darth Vader Hasbro lightsaber, since the stock incandescent bulb burned out a few months ago.

It works fine, but isn't much brighter than the standard bulb.

If you want serious WOW factor, you should go with the Force FX lightsabers.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/69de/

I had once contemplated modding the Hasbro lightsaber into a ROP-lithium, but I'm not sure the internals could take that kind of current, and I'm pretty sure something would melt.

http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=35

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
jimmybrown2 said:
I had to look up the purple one myself and I found this.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/69de/ I don't even remember Mace Windu. But I'm only about 20% star wars nut.
As far as what the color itself stands for, nowdays, I found this.
The Reverand Jerry Falwell said of the Tellatubby character 'Tinky Winky', "The character, whose voice is obviously that of a boy, has been found carrying a red purse," reports sleuth Falwell. "He is purple -- the gay pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay pride symbol."

Idiot. No, not you him. Is that color and symbol international? Or just US? The triangle has a much deeper and sadder history than gay pride organisations reallly. Too bad it has become only associated with them.

Anyway back to the lightsaber.
Would it be able to take the heat from a that Radio Shack bulb that people use with the 2 C cell Mags and 3 CR123's?

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
Unicorn said:
Idiot. No, not you him. Is that color and symbol international? Or just US? The triangle has a much deeper and sadder history than gay pride organisations reallly. Too bad it has become only associated with them.

:laughing:
I haven't studied it much but I just thought of something, the pyramids are triangles, right? I wonder what they're oringinal color was? :thinking: