Do i *really* "need" a Dorcy Super 1-Watt?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
i've been reading the good reviews on the Dorcy S1W on sale at Sears, i've been contemplating buying it, but i don't feel i *really* need to, after all, i already have plenty of lights that would favorably compete with the DS1W;

Fenix L1S
G2 with BOG 3W Lux
6P
Princeton Tec EOS

so as far as "needing" it goes, i don't think i *need* it per se, but it's a flashlight and flashlights are cool

if i was thinking logically, rather than spread my collection out over a large number of different models, it'd make a lot more sense to use the modularity of the SureFires to my advantage, since i have a BOG 3W in the G2, i should keep the 6P incan, and decide whether i want to put the P60 or P61 bulb in *it*

so, no, i don't *need* another 1 watt Lux light, the L1 and EOS have my 1 watter needs covered there, and i'd prefer to not increase the number of 123 based lights beyond what i already have (6P, G2, X5, 24/7), yes the X5 and 24/7 are going to be my "battery scavengers" and run off the batteries the SF's have "used up", i have my "needs" covered as far as 123 based lights and 1 watt Lux lights go....

so why do i still want the DS1W? it's less pocketable than the L1S, uses a more expensive battery, and from what i understand, isn't all that much brighter than the L1S, and it doesn't even have a glass lens, just an easily scratched plastic lens.

about the only things it has in it's favor (in my mind) are the metal body construction, and the *slightly* longer runtime than the L1S (i'm running a 2500mAh NIMH in the L1S, so if it gets almost 2 hours to 50% on a 2300mAh, i'd imagine a 2500 may get it to almost 2.5 hours.....)

i have lights that outperform (or at least equal) the DS1W already, so why do i still want it?

maybe i could use the DS1W as a "car duty" light, that way i could bring in my BOG G2 and upgrade it to "house light" duties.....

decisions, decisions....

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I doubt you, me, or anyone reading this really "needs" a Dorcy Super 1W.

However, I do know for a fact that as soon as my local Sears re-stocks them I will have one. The runtime chart on flashlightreviews.com is pretty impressive.

What are you waiting for?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt think I needed one either. I scoffed at it initially when I saw it at Sears for $30 because I thought retailers could not keep up with state of the art LED products. I recall what I paid for some LED lights 2 years ago and didnt want to pay more for an outdated light. once I read the reviews all that changed! I bought the last one on the 23rd for $29.95, then learned about the $19.95 sale HERE at CPF!:naughty: went back to Sears on DEC 26 returned it and bought TWO for a total of $40! It is brighter tha the FENIX 1LP, which costs more but runs on an AA. buy the Dorcy you will be glad you did!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light to stick in the car glovebox. Very small and damage proof and runs on the lithium batts so it has good shelf life and resistance to cold.

I was using mine as an EDC until I got my HDS EDC 60. Once I had multiple light levels on my EDC the Dorcy light went right into my glovebox.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main advantage I see of the Super 1W over the Fenix L1P is if you live in a cold area and are going to leave it in the car, it has a better chance of working when you need it than the Fenix. I mean, with the Fenix, you can always use a Lithium primary cell, but there's a chance it might have an alkaline or NiMH cell when you really needed it which is quite unlikely with the Dorcy.

Having said that, for a dedicated car light, I would prefer a larger light with even more runtime.

My opinion is, while some folks enjoy having 20 different choices in the same size/runtime/brightness class, I think that if you own a Fenix L1P with a good tint, then you don't 'need' the Dorcy.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one today before the sale ran out. I'm looking at it as a relatively cheap way to get my "fix". Now I've got a new toy to play with that'll keep me out of trouble for a couple weeks. It takes the edge off that feeling of "I've gotta get a flashlight!" without dropping a hundred bucks or so on a nice Surefire.

It's not a bad little light. I'm happy with mine.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
im sorry i just crawled out from under a rock, what does "EDC" mean? something to do with being in your pocket?

zapper

Enlightened
If you want a very easy light to modify later than this is the one. It has a very good stock reflector and great runtime with good output. It's just a hair longer and thicker than the Fenix. No need to get it unless it's just curiosity, convenience, and cost effective.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the Dorcy Super 1w CR123 lights at Sears last night and IT'S DIMMER THAN MY FENIX AND VERY PURPLE IN COMPARISON. The Fenix has more overally output and more throw. The beam of the Fenix is much smoother. The Dorcy's beam has some rings. YMMV.

I must have lost the luxeon lottery. I'll probably return it and not worry about getting a replacement. I'm satisfied with the Fenix, but was tempted by the $19.95 sale price on the Dorcy.

BTW, with a lithium AA in the Fenix, it weighs 2 1/8 oz and the Dorcy weighs 2 3/4 oz.

I can get 12 lithium AA batteries at Sam's Club for $20, so that's not much more than mail order CR123 and I can use alkalines or rechargeables if I prefer.

If you just want a 1 CR123 light at a relatively low price (if you buy it before the end of today at Sears), then go ahead and get the Dorcy. Since you already have the Fenix, the Dorcy won't be an improvement.

mc

Newly Enlightened
Well Sears had no more.

Lucky I got one from OSH for $25., lucky, because from $20. to $30. these lights are mini m*g sandwich killers, and, ok, SF E1 killers in my opinion, ($100.+) because I sure do not use mine with that uncomfortable overdone knurl.

The Dorcy, what a great price for a comfortable machined light, with a real good Led.

We are fortunate.

igabo

Enlightened
Anyone think it would be safe to run 3v RCR123's on this light? I'm really contemplating getting one of these myself.

tvbi

Newly Enlightened
igabo said:
Anyone think it would be safe to run 3v RCR123's on this light? I'm really contemplating getting one of these myself.

I already went thru 1 RCR123 3.6v without any problem..so far

changsn

Newly Enlightened
tvbi - Do you know what bin luxeon you have? I would like to use rechargeables without going to the 3v kind. I have a QWOJ emitter and wouldn't want to fry it.

Sam

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's got a RV1K. That's supposed to have a Vf of 3.5~3.75 volts. It seems fine with li-ion. Quite a bit brighter, too.

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
I bought one today before the sale ran out. I'm looking at it as a relatively cheap way to get my "fix". Now I've got a new toy to play with that'll keep me out of trouble for a couple weeks. It takes the edge off that feeling of "I've gotta get a flashlight!" without dropping a hundred bucks or so on a nice Surefire.

It's not a bad little light. I'm happy with mine.

This is exactly what I did. The fact that it was on sale was my excuse to buy just one more light before the end of the year. I'm really glad I did. I'm really impressed with the shape of the beam and the brightness and tint. My Fenix throws further but I'm really happy with this light.

PJ

Enlightened
I just checked Sears website and the sale has been extended until Jan. 7.

Sears Dorcy Super 1 watt

The reflector and star drop out of the head and can be disassembled easily. It looks like some minor soldering to change the star so I may put a green/cyan in it and see how it works.

Has anyone determined if these are current regulated? I have an amber star I might try instead of the green if it won't fry it.

tvbi

Newly Enlightened
changsn said:
tvbi - Do you know what bin luxeon you have? I would like to use rechargeables without going to the 3v kind. I have a QWOJ emitter and wouldn't want to fry it.

Sam

mine is a Q bin as well.