What would you do if $100 showed up in your mailbox?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
In September I bought a Palm Zire from Office Depot, because it was a good price with an instore rebate. Sent the rebate off the day after buying.
But, I couldn't get the latest version of Palm Desktop to work with XP, there's some known problem and Palm just hasn't done anything about it. So anyway, after 2 weeks of work on my part (things a user shouldn't have needed to do, like updating Install Shield, playing with drivers, searching and reading how many other people were having this problem on forums, etc.) I just gave up and returned it and got credit back to my card. To avoid any problems and clear my conscience I told the person who made the return that I had already sent the rebate, and that they might want to cancel it. She just yeah-yeahed me and I left it at that.

Well, yesterday I got a plain cover rebate check, which I thought was a $2 from cereal, or a $10 from some FRS radios on Black Friday. I opened it and just stood there staring at it. $100. What? $100? This can't be right...
At the top was the Office Depot logo, and at the bottom was the reference to PDA sale. Cashed it that night and got the money in my hands now.

SO.... what would you do with $100 of free money?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
In September I bought a Palm Zire from Office Depot, because it was a good price with an instore rebate. Sent the rebate off the day after buying.
But, I couldn't get the latest version of Palm Desktop to work with XP, there's some known problem and Palm just hasn't done anything about it. So anyway, after 2 weeks of work on my part (things a user shouldn't have needed to do, like updating Install Shield, playing with drivers, searching and reading how many other people were having this problem on forums, etc.) I just gave up and returned it and got credit back to my card. To avoid any problems and clear my conscience I told the person who made the return that I had already sent the rebate, and that they might want to cancel it. She just yeah-yeahed me and I left it at that.

Well, yesterday I got a plain cover rebate check, which I thought was a $2 from cereal, or a $10 from some FRS radios on Black Friday. I opened it and just stood there staring at it. $100. What? $100? This can't be right...
At the top was the Office Depot logo, and at the bottom was the reference to PDA sale. Cashed it that night and got the money in my hands now.

SO.... what would you do with $100 of free money?
If you're into modding flashlights and don't have all the needed tools, well now is the time to stock up. Otherwise buy yourself a nice New Years gift flashlight. :)

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...assuming they don't have the serial number of the device (or rather that it is not linked to the rebate), yeah...fun times with $100...prime rib night...hehe...

Otherwise, they'll probably know something's up when the store devo's the PDA and the manufacturer enters the serial number...I cannot imagine how they would attempt to collect it back from you though. I don't see any way for them to do that...

JM-99

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
I would put it in my checking account and pay $100.00 more than usual on my credit card.

PARTY POOPER!! :broke: :laughing:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz said:
If you're into modding flashlights and don't have all the needed tools, well now is the time to stock up. Otherwise buy yourself a nice New Years gift flashlight. :)
Ah, well I'm sending my new Q3 to Milkyspit to make it Totally Pimpalicious. But those arrangements were being made before this came about. So it doesn't really count!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
Ah, well I'm sending my new Q3 to Milkyspit to make it Totally Pimpalicious. But those arrangements were being made before this came about. So it doesn't really count!

Nice! Hod Rodding for one of my favorite lights. Happy New Year! :party:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest cashing the check and sitting on the money for awhile. If they were to ask for it back you could send them a personal check. That way you'd have proof that the money was repaid. They may never ask for it and probably wouldn't do a thing about it if you ignored their request for a refund, but it's nice to have a clean slate.

A few years ago we bought some Mission furniture from LL Bean and they accidently sent us an extra futon. We called them several times asking them to have someone pick it up for a return. They never did and we eventually gave it to a friend.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had almost the exact same thing happen a couple years ago with a Dell pocket PC. It's a long story that I mostly don't remember now, but I ended up sending it back and still got a $100 rebate a few weeks later! I think I spent it on beer...:D

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Thia happened to me recently at "Staples", $80 rebate on laser printer bought 2, submitted 2, got 3 in the mail all on the same day, brought them back to the store and manager said "Merry Christmas"

In regard as to what to buy, the choice is pretty obvious since it's new years eve, Chinese Food silly. :buddies:

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
Company will never realize the money is gone, and even if you told them they would not do a thing. We have to set all the rebate money aside before offering a rebate and any that we get to keep after people don't do the rebates is just a nice suprise honestly.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
yup.... pay down the credit card and quickly before you are tempted by something..... like i'd do this....huh ! :wow: Spend it silly ! :devil: if you feel guilty spend it with the company it came from so they get some profits again...:nana: