I am sooo pooched!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
For the 3rd time, 2 of 'em today, this box BSOD'd and I heard the $800 Seagate 73Gig, 10Krpm SCSI drive I bought ~5 yrs ago spin down. This has been followed by it failing to spin-up on multiple attampts at reboot. So far, if I come back in an hour, it has been bootable. Sounds like heat, but it's only lukewarm to the touch.

I have a 2nd (non SCSI) drive in the box and have backed-up everything I know how to. The time has obviously come, and I went to Fry's and bought an Athlon64 Crashpaq on sale. I have a PCI cable modem in this box and hoped to use it in the new one. This one is W2K and the Zoom driver disc only goes up to 2K. I downloaded 6+Meg of drivers for XP, which ain't goin' on a floppy. I checked my programs for my Adaptec CD burning program, and realized it went byby on the reformat I had to do a couple months back. No problem! I dug out the CD and the installation failed twice. :rant:

Happy New Years!

Larry

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
For the 3rd time, 2 of 'em today, this box BSOD'd and I heard the $800 Seagate 73Gig, 10Krpm SCSI drive I bought ~5 yrs ago spin down. This has been followed by it failing to spin-up on multiple attampts at reboot. So far, if I come back in an hour, it has been bootable. Sounds like heat, but it's only lukewarm to the touch.

I have a 2nd (non SCSI) drive in the box and have backed-up everything I know how to. The time has obviously come, and I went to Fry's and bought an Athlon64 Crashpaq on sale. I have a PCI cable modem in this box and hoped to use it in the new one. This one is W2K and the Zoom driver disc only goes up to 2K. I downloaded 6+Meg of drivers for XP, which ain't goin' on a floppy. I checked my programs for my Adaptec CD burning program, and realized it went byby on the reformat I had to do a couple months back. No problem! I dug out the CD and the installation failed twice. :rant:

Happy New Years!

Larry

SOunds like Y2k6. :laughing:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You bought it 5 years ago?

Snipped directly from the Seagate website -
All Seagate enterprise products (SCSI and FibreChannel interface products) ship with a 5 year limited warranty.

That explains it! :ironic:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
larry cant u use the burne r that comes with xp?or am i confussed again i hope it works out

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Probably closer to 4.5 years ago and the steenkin' warranty is prolly prorated! New box, which I haven't opened the carton yet, has a 200Gig serial ATA HDD. May have to go into work tomorrow and burn the drivers. (That's if I have burning software. :thinking: )

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Oh, if somebody knows how I can save my O.E. inbox to the back-up drive, it would be appreciated!

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dang larry if i had the money id burn em and send em to ya.but im broke as a joke sorry.im trying to figure away to help

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
Oh, if somebody knows how I can save my O.E. inbox to the back-up drive, it would be appreciated!

To compact and back up e-mail folders
  1. Select an e-mail folder.
  2. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.
  3. To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").
Notes
  • Some message files might be too large to back up onto a floppy disk.
  • If you are using a program other than Outlook Express to send e-mail messages to newsgroups, check your e-mail program's documentation for information about compacting and deleting e-mail folders.
HTH

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:

Larry

You will want to copy the files from C:\documents and setting\your name\local settings\application data\identities\{37E9BE43-78F4-4E26-9AF6-4AEF85908526}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Next copy the files with the extension .dbx to where you want to back them up.

The your name under document and setting is the name of the account you login under Windows XP.

Good Luck and HNY!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks, guys! I searched .dbx and found the latest inbox and sent files and copied them to the back-up drive. There is other software I purchased/downloaded I wish I knew how to save.

Larry

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Raggie sez, XP can burn CDs. But I don't know why you need the cable modem driver on a CD.

I had a Seagate Barracuda IV drive get sick a month ago. It was three years old and had a three year warranty. It still works, but the drive diagnostic says it's sick, so I replaced it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my new maxtor 300 gig 16 meg cache hardrive i like it but man it only has 1 year warennty .

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The box I'm talking on is Win 2K Pro. The new one is XP, and I will need the XP drivers for the modem to be able to connect.

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
also could ya download a trail version of nero or something?or perhaps a free burner application?

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Beamhead said:
What brand is your PCI cable modem?

Can you just download the driver? XP may have a driver for it in the driver database.

He could if he had the drivers to get his cable modem to connect, but wait, then he wouldn't need them, I'm confused.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Beamster, thank you for helping me pull my head out of my a**! I downloaded the zipped driver file to the desktop of this dying box- just can't save it to CD. I just copied the file to the back-up HDD! :D Obviously, I will need to install the back-up HDD in the new Crashpaq, along with connecting both printers and the scanner and sound system, prior to first boot, and hope/pray Uncle Bill doesn't make me call CS for a new authorization. :D The reauthorization issue for hardware changes is a major reason I haven't "upgraded" to XP.

The new box (still in the carton) came with XP Home Ed. What do I gain with going to "Pro?"

Hopefully, Digital River will remember some of the stuff I bought over the last 3 or 4 years! (I still have hard copies for most of it.)

Larry