Votes: 27 19.0%
  • > $201

Votes: 87 61.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My upper limit for the max I'd spend on any light has gone from about $50 at the time of joining the CPF, two years ago, to around $100 now. I know this is true because I really want a CRII Ion in the worst way but can't justify its cost. I wouldn't have bought an HDS if half the cost weren't a birthday gift. I don't regret, for a moment, buying an E1L (~$100), so for me it seems that aprox $100 is my upper limit.

So at this rate, in two more years my upper comfort zone will be $200/light and this is a natural progression and I shouldn't risk emotional upheaval by risisting what is, essentially, right, and therefore, good...correct?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
jayflash said:
My upper limit for the max I'd spend on any light has gone form about $50 at the time of joining the CPF, two years ago, to around $100 now. I know this is true because I really want a CRII Ion in the worst way but can't justify its cost. I wouldn't have bought an HDS if half the cost weren't a birthday gift. I don't regret, for a moment, buying an E1L (~$100), so for me it seems that aprox $100 is my upper limit.

So at this rate, in two more years my upper comfort zone will be $200/light and this is a natural progression and I shouldn't risk emotional upheaval by risisting what is, essentially, right, and therefore, good...correct?

I currently won't spend above $50 but I've just started. After I get my money from Google Adsense, however, I might just end up spending quite a bit more. (I want another SF, damnit.)

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
thats funny since i asked a couple people at work and the most they would buy is one of those cheap plastic 5 dollar flashlights. they say im crazy for even spending $30 on my Aurora 1.5W AA. little do they know ive already bought the TM800x3 for $85. sooner or later (when my wallet recovers) i wish to purchase a SF 6P plus the KL3 head. that should cost me a pretty penny

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
I didnt answer this question.

Because it depends on features, Lumens, quality, need for a particular light, etc.

I too have been asked why I "need" a 6p or a g2, and, I've even been asked why I needed more then 1 stock M@g.

They just dont get it.......

CLHC

Flashaholic
The most I spent was for the U^W MagHID which was $312 and the Chrome-Flash McLux.III.PD was $275.00 That's after reading and asking question about it. The rest of my other lights were less than that, and they were all bought brand new.

And Yes! One of the fellows at work need to borrow one of my flashlights for something he was doing in a light deficient area. I gave him the SF.G2, and he asked me how much was this, and I told him. His response was that he "would never spend more than $5.00 on a flashlight since it's just a stupid plastic flashlight."

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not willing to spend too much more than $200 these days... infrequently, at that.

In fact, it's going to be a while until I spend that much on a flashlight again ... if ever.

hquan

Enlightened
Not too long ago, I just dropped $200 for the tigerlight xmas special. For me, it wasn't simply a question of a light - it was also a question of what I was going to do if I actually found "the bump" in the night while using the light...

Some in another thread had said something to the effect that it's better to spend the money now and only cry once. That got me thinking; if I did find a prowler behind / in our house, how much would I pay at that point in time to have a tigerlight in my hands vs. something cheaper. I live in a decent neighborhood, but we've already had 1 occasion where a prowler was caught in our backyard by the police (our dog alerted us to the prowler).

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most expensive flashlight I've got would probably be my Jeep Cherokee (a total of about 600 watts of light can come out the front). A little heavy but the portability is great and the runtime is AWESOME! :naughty:

Seriously though the most expensive light in my stable is the Gladius and I suspect that will be the most expensive for a looooong time to come.

rikvee

Enlightened
Before I discovered CPF, I already spent $180 on an ARC4+, still have it, great light.
Since then I loved the Mr Bulk LionHeart, in the larger 168A body a graceful and useful design.
Including all the bits and bobs that came to $280 ..... :sick2:
Then I got silly and pre-paid $300 for the Black LionCub, when I traded that
I dropped a 100 bucks or so ..... :sweat:
Just spent $200 again on a used M3T, if I ever need to sell that again, at least it will keep it's value...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most I spent was for the Surefire M4 Devastator

greenLED

Flashaholic
When I first joined CPF, even an ArcAAA seemed to expensive (and they were 'round $25, IIRC); I just bought a SF U2 (over $200).

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think once something goes from an interest to a true hobby/devotion, the pricetag goes way up. Once that happens we judge the cost of lights by a different scale. Before people join CPF, many are exposed to only a small fraction of light products. Most of them are basic consumer priced at under 30.00. After one sees the other products that exist (and the discussion, beamshots, runtimes, photos), the value of lights is judged by a higher scale. I also just shelled out over 200.00 for a U2.

Happy new year all:buddies:

carrot

Flashaholic
After more consideration, I change my mind. If I had the money, $200 would be my price cap at this point.

hquan

Enlightened
fieldops said:
I think once something goes from an interest to a true hobby/devotion, the pricetag goes way up. Once that happens we judge the cost of lights by a different scale. Before people join CPF, many are exposed to only a small fraction of light products. Most of them are basic consumer priced at under 30.00. After one sees the other products that exist (and the discussion, beamshots, runtimes, photos), the value of lights is judged by a higher scale.

Ain't that the truth. I used to think that a $15 Rayovac flashlight was a rip off - after all a flashlight is just a flashlight... Now I wonder how so many people could put up with such crappy (and dim) beams. What's even worse is that my opinion is formed purely on the beamshots that you guys have posted (eagerly anticipating my tigerlight shipping in Feb.). I'm like a beamshot junkie - looking at these pics late at night when my wife thinks I'm sleeping.

If I had known how expensive and addictive this would get, I would have taken the blue pill and woken up blissfully ignorant...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My price cap is $200 and I have not exceeded it (yet)
My most powerful light is a mod, nFlex WX1S LuxeonV 8AA hotlips Mag with UCL that cost me $162 to build including those Sanyo 1700mAH NiMH batteries. Working on getting a $30 10 amp tailswitch to turn it off so my price rises to $192. It is worth it to me to have a modded light, learn about building them and the ability to run on NiMH, alkaline or lithium AA batteries. The ultimate flood light with the head removed.
Andrew Wynn's BAM 4 emitter Mag mod should be around $200 complete even with SWAH K2 emitters so I am still holding to my limit. There are 4 lights I want for 2006, two mods and two production lights and they cost a total of $440 for all of them combined. I'll spend my money on a Maha 8 cell charger and a few more rechargable batteries.
Being a flashoholic in 2006 will cost me around $600...down a little from the $800 spent in 2005 and around even spent in 2004 and 2003. I love U2 and U85GT flashlights... love is blind but my wallet isn't!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going upwards of $300 when HDS reissues the Ultimate 85 (more if there's an XR version). But I'll be selling my B42XR and SF L2 to afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.