I need flood, moderate brightness, and runtime. Which light?

SCblur

Enlightened
Hello everybody,

I have been a lurker here for a few months and finally registered a few days ago. Only six months ago, my idea of a top quality light was a mag with new batteries and an upgraded mag bulb. Wow, now that was a serious tool. Then, I started working on my pilot career, and was introduced to the A2 Aviator by a fellow pilot. I now feel like puking when I turn on my 4D mag with new batteries. In the past few months I have acquired an A2, a G2 and an E2e. I'm quickly becoming a flashaholic, please help me. Seriously, I can't stop reading about flashlights and planning my next purchase. :help:

So here's my question: With my three new lights, I have the throw category filled to my content for the time being. What I'm needing is a good flood LED. I want a long runtime light that I can use for camping, hiking and general use. Here are my priorities roughly in order of importance.

1. Flood

2. Long runtime

3. Two-stage output, with low mode for reading, hight output good enough for hiking illumination.

4. Regulated (not a must, but desired)

5. Compactness

6. Surefire build quality (as much as can be expected from another company)

7. $100 or less (if that's not asking too much :p )

Since I'm new to the flashlight world, and pretty much oblivious of anything outside of the Surefire bubble, I would greatly apprecite advice from you guys about lights that might fit my needs. Thanks so much guys for your help, and have a great New Year!

Last edited:

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I believe your requirements for your next light perfectly describe a Surefire L2.

Runtime is approximately 18 hrs on Low (around 15 lumens) and 1 hr on High (around 100 lumens). It is a "wall of light". Great flood and priced just slightly above $100. I love my L2.

:candle:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

A Surefire KL1 or an L1 with an F04 Beamshaper will give excellent flood and is regulated.

"oldgrandpajack" advertised the combo here;

Link

You might PM him or e-mail him.

Indiglo is also "right on" regarding an L2!

Hope this helps!

jeffb

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
buy a good quality 2AA light and mod it with a Luxeon and a Badboy.
Employ a switch to choose between 50-100 mA and 300 mA draw.
And a fraen or NX05 Optic.

Cheap, small, way enough light, very good runtime (even on high), cheap and available anywhere batteries, outshines most any "normal" flashlights You encounter while camping.
Since I mave one, I nearly never use my SF 9N and similar again (except for the 3 Watt LED light. used For illuminating larger areas)

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_49_61&products_id=179

or get a fenix and do the 10 ohms-resistor upgrade:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100142&highlight=fenix+mod

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like what iNDiGLo mentioned regarding the SureFire L2! And I'm just going to mention this one for an all arounder—I sure think it is. The Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon, not the one with 7 SS LEDs now but Luxeon. It's a great all around light for throw and decent enough spill. It's water resistant/proof. Bright for roughly 4 hour runtime on high. And you can get them for roughly $30.00 or less elsewhere. But what ever you decide upon, Enjoy!

ScottyJ

Enlightened
To me the answer is simple...the HDS basic 42. Everything you requested, and very small.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You seem to have all you need :D
The A2 produces are very nice flood with a long runtime on low AND can change to a throw-beam on high ... which is a very cool capacity and almost unrivaled in a quality light.
For a pure flood I'd like to chime in for the SF L2 or L4 with a McGizmo 2-stage switch.

Anything other that will fit your needs and be smaller (--> 1xCR123) than the light syou already have will either be of less quality than your SF OR be more expensive than $100.

IMHO.

bernie

P.S.: Welcome to CPF! :)

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the Surefire L2 is a great floodlight and generally meets your requirements BUT the low setting is still fairly bright (25 lumens I think) and therefore a bit bright for use as a reading light. It is a great light and I regard it as an ideal general purpose/camping light but it just depends on what your particular needs are. Personally I couldn't use it to read a book etc. in a really dark environment as it would blind me...

Luxman

Enlightened
Another vote for the HDS series. Its a Great Light and Very Versatile.. Get the best one of these that you can afford.. you won't be sorry! :)

fleegs

Enlightened
Nice Collection.

I would recommend a head lamp. I took 8 flashlights with me on a hiking trip and wished I had a headlamp. Which I have 5 of. But I forgot to take one. I was so excited to take my lights. Go to www.e-headlamps.com to look at a few and to start your search. I recommend the Black Diamond Zenix (around $41) or the Myo XP (I think that is what it is called, has cool diffuser built in). Also check out the Princeton Tec line. I have headlamps from Black Diamond, Princeton Tec, and Petzl. You mentioned regulated so definately look at the Princetone Tec EOS. I just bought one and it works pretty well. For me, a little too bright on low for reading but useable.

If you are deadset on another flashlight then I would recommend the Arc AAA (5 hour runtime, around $40, AAA battery, buy at arcflashlight.com) or a JiL DD TWOJ (25 hour runtime, around $63, CR2 battery, not regulated but you will not notice, buy in dealer forum). Not sure what type of batteries you are into. Either would be a good light for use within 10-15 feet and reading. Also look into the VB16 that Waion and Emillion sell in the dealers forum. 16 levels of light for around $70ish. There are two versions 1 and 2. I have had both and prefer version 1 because of the lower settings and lockout tail cap.

I recommend getting the 25 lumen lamp for your E2E (2.5 hour runtime). Then use that to hike with and use the small LED for reading and around camp. Or with a headlamp :)

If you want to go more expensive for a flashlight go with LionCub (overpriced), Aleph2 (buy from the Shoppe), Surefire L1, McLux PD (order from McGizmo forum, 40 hour runtime on low regulated, only flashlight I know of to be regulated on low and high, excluding the HD45, easy to maintain). Again the HDS is a great light but the button is not sensitive enough for me. I have one of the firsts, so that may have been refined. I know the code was changed a least once because mine has the one programming error I know of.

All the lights/headlamps I have mention I have owned. Except for the Tikka/Mikka. Please feel free to ask me any particulars if you settle on one of the above.

Good luck,
rob

Disclaimer- not checked for spelling/typos.

ADDED---
The Jil DD TWOH has 10 hour runtime (claimed, I have seen no graphs yet and do not know what the curve looks like) and is much brighter than the Jil TWOJ DD. I own both if you want to ask questions.

Last edited:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I guess like all flashaholics you are looking for another excuse to by a new light...:grin2:

But I'd say that in the A2 you already have what you need. I'd also echo whats written above - for camping you should get a headlight. I'd never go camping without one, it's just too hard trying to do things one handed, like putting up tents, or even trying to find something in the bottom of your pack.

Latest posts