More beamshots-Orb, Jil, Amilite, Fenix, Peak, U2

Dogliness

Enlightened
I though I would try a few more beamshots. The flashlights I used are pictured below in the following order: Orb Raw, Jil CR2 1.3(up), Fenix L1P, Amilite Neo T3, Peak CPF Special, Surefire U2. The U2, which is larger and is the only flashlight with two batteries, is included as a reference. The Orb and Peak had fully charged RCR2 and RCR123a rechargeable batteries, respectively; the Jil had a new Sanyo CR2 battery, the Amilite and SF U2 had new Duracell CR123a batteries, and the Fenix had a new Energizer lithium AA battery.

Flashman25387.jpg

The first shots are each at 12 feet, ISO 400, f2.8, 1/8 second shutter speed. The three target photos are each 8 1/2 x 11. The dog is a springer spaniel.

Orb Raw @ 12' (below)
Orb125341.jpg

Jil 12' @12' (below)
Jil125342.jpg

Amilite @12' (below)
Amilite1235343.jpg

Fenix @ 12' (below)
Fenix125344.jpg

Peak @ 12' (below)
Peak125345.jpg

Surefire U2 Level 1 @ 12' (below)
U2125346.jpg

The following shots were taken at 25', ISO 400, f2.8, 1/5":

Orb @ 25' (below)
Orb255347.jpg

Jil @ 25' (below)
Jil255348.jpg

Amilite @ 25' (below)
Amilite255349.jpg

Fenix @ 25' (below)
Fenix255350.jpg

Peak @ 25' (below)
Peak255351.jpg

Surefire U2 Level 1 @ 25' (below)
U2255352.jpg

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the great shots! of those, I also have the RAW, Jil Intelli (tho gave my brother), Fenix and cpf special. I EDC the HDS U60GTXR as I still feel this is the best overall light, especially with variable levels of light. However, I may have to buy another Jil intelli for myself as this is another greatly useful light in a very small package. I like the RAW espec with 2-stage but cannot find a good way to carry it. again, great shots...

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots! Can you tell us more about the Raw you included in the comparison - what's it running on and what bin is the LED?

Dogliness

Enlightened
liteboy said:
. . . I also have the RAW, Jil Intelli (tho gave my brother), Fenix and cpf special. I EDC the HDS U60GTXR as I still feel this is the best overall light, especially with variable levels of light. However, I may have to buy another Jil intelli for myself as this is another greatly useful light in a very small package. I like the RAW espec with 2-stage but cannot find a good way to carry it. again, great shots...

I am quite interested in both the Jil intelli and HDS. I try to rotate the lights that I use, but find myself most often reaching for the Jil. My hesitation on the Jil intelli, apart from exceeding my flashlight budget and needing to save up a little, is that from reading about it the Jil intelli seems like it might be a little complicated to switch between modes and levels. Your thoughts?

Brangdon said:
Is the Orb Raw running on high beam or low? Is "level 1" for the U2 the brightest or dimmest?
The Orb Raw and U2 were both running at their brightest levels.
Grox said:
Great shots! Can you tell us more about the Raw you included in the comparison - what's it running on and what bin is the LED?
My version of the Orb Raw is a two stage unit with a U bin (UWOJ), and I was running it at the brightest level. It is 1.85 inches (47mm), 0.79 (20mm) max diameter, and 1 oz with battery (30 grams). The battery is a rechargeable CR2. The runtime is rated at 12 to 15 minutes on high, and at least several hours on low. A Raw NS (nickel silver) is about to be released (if it has not been released already, I am not sure), that is even smaller and uses the smaller 14250 rechargeable battery.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dogliness,
the Jil Intelli takes a little bit to understand the switching between levels and modes. Initially, I thought mine was defective because after switching off, instead of starting from the first level in the mode, it would continue within the sequence and I would accidentally either change modes or change brightness level. However, I realized that when you turn off the light before 1200ms, the light will stay within sequence instead of starting from the very beginning. Once you have figured this out, it becomes a very useful light. You can set both the low and high brightness levels, again very useful, just like the HDS. As for budget concerns, I completely understand. My wife has imposed a freeze on flashlight spending (doh!). Either sell the Jil and replace with INtelli or doesn;t goldserve sell the flupic standalone you can solder in??

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
wow, thanks for the great beamshots. Im getting a fenix soon but your pics really make me want a orb and a u2 really badly. I'm just wondering, the orb is so small and sooo bright, whats the price on it?

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
:wow: The Peak CPF Special really kicks *** compared to the other lights except for the larger U2. I am surprised knowbody mentioned the CPF Special and everyone jumped on the RAW bandwagon when the runtime and size of the CPF are that good.

Of course I had to get one of the only defective CPF Specials and I sent it back because my Fenix was brighter. I can't wait to get it back.

yeee haaaaaaw!

Anders

Enlightened
Nice photos Dogliness!

However, you must have the same exposure time and shutter speed in all photos if its possible with your Canon EOS 20D.

Or?
Exposure time: 1/8
Shutter speed: 1/8.00
F-stop: 2.8
ISO speed: 400

With some photos

Exposure time: 1/5
Shutter speed: 1/5.00
F-stop: 2.8
ISO speed: 400
with others

Is this fair comparition?, just my 2 cent.

Sorry for my spelling.
Anders

Dogliness

Enlightened
Anders, I used the same settings for each group of photos (i.e. all photos taken at 12 feet, and all photos taken at 25 feet) to compare the beam shots within each group. I increased the exposure at the longer distance. I could use the same shutter speed at both distances, if you think that would be a better approach. I am fairly new to beam shots, and your suggestions are appreciated.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice collection of shots... Though I'm not really considering one at this point, that Peak is looking mighty impressive.

Dogliness

Enlightened
My reasoning for using different shutter speeds at the two distances is as follows. On my camera, in manual mode there is an indicator that compares the exposure at a given f stop with what the exposure would be if the camera were in apeture priority mode (ie, if the camera set the exposure automatically for the designated f stop). I selected shutter speeds that approximated what the camera would select, if not in manual mode, for the designated f stop, for a flashlight of medium brightness of the ones I was comparing. That shutter speed is different at the two distances. I do not know if the reasoning holds up, but I thought this method would produce images that are not overly under-exposed or over-exposed, given that the f stop and shutter speed remain constant even though the lights are of varing intensity.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice shots.... looks like the Amilite actually beat the RAW.... interesting.

-David

TOB9595

Enlightened
Wonderful beam shots and lights.

I think that as long as the pics are taken at the same settings for a given distance it is legit.

Great comparisons.
Tom