No gunfire!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Beyond bizarre! It's 11 minutes after, and I have heard no gunfire or pyrotechnics. This is a serious first for my neighborhood!

Larry

Topper

Flashaholic*
Only 2 possible shotgun blasts and a few strings of firecrackers here. I was a little surprised myself. All were at a distance from me so I did not return fire.
Topper

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My noisemakers are a flashlight with a mechanical siren on the back and a recording of a real air-raid/tornado siren played through a horn speaker

Some one up the street from me blew up something big. I think it's a M-1000 firecracker. It scared the crap out of me even though it was a block away and it echoed across the valley

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's like a war zone here! There's illegal fireworks going off everywhere. More than on the 4th of july! I'm up here shooting off my propane noise cannon out my second story window. :D

Are your ears ringing? :eek:oo:

BigBaller

Enlightened
No lack of gunfire here! You'd think a war was being faught lol. I hope these rednecks have the sense to shoot into a dirt berm or something.
I took a break from my usual routine and actually shot at something this year, since I had plenty of flashlights to illuminate it. :)
deadcomputer.JPG

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullets a blazin here.:ohgeez:

I don't get it, I will fight to my death for my right to own but a gun is not a party favor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Only one or two possible gunshots around my place.

I geeked it up by shining my Costco HID out my window at midnight. Since it illuminated a tree some 30' from the building, I doubt it was noticed by anyone. So much for my attempt at the Bat Signal...

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
What gunshot !!!
I slept thru the hole thing like a sick dog. :sick:

Happy New Year everyone! :santa: :party:
May this year be lighter and brighter than the last.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
No fireworks or gunshots at all in my area this year! I was amazed at how quiet it was. Usually there's at least a few strings of firecrackers going off.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot's of fireworks around here. Some sounded close enough to gunfire to make me jump. Not the best place either. Very close to Ft. Lewis, and McChord AFB. Lot's of people that might still be jumpy at the sounds of loud bangs.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a party in La Crecenta last night. The friend who owned the house hasn't been there since last New Years, so he didn't know what to expect. He said the whole neighborhood is a bunch of "kill joys", real scrooges. He said there weren't any holloween decorations or trick-or-treaters, and it was visible that there weren't many Christmas ("holiday") lights up this year, either. So, he said it wouldn't be a good idea for me to blow off my carbide cannon, which I had in the trunk of my car, because his neighbors would probably come out and would probably call the police, aside from fireworks being illegal.

Well, it turns out he couldn't have been more wrong! Somebody a few houses down blew something HUGE off! I don't know what it was, but every single car alarm on the whole block went off at the same time. I was thinking that maybe it was a 1/4 stick of dynamite or something. There were fireworks and firecrackers going off in all directions! Somebody about 5 houses away had a miniature aerial firework display, complete with a "grand finale" (lots of fireworks shooting up into the sky continuously, ending in one big one that lit everything up). Anyway, my friend said I could use the cannon since there was already so many other people blowing off their 'works.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really sure what it was but I guessed it was at least an M-100 but not bigger than an M-1000. It was a huge "BLAM!" that echoed through my neighborhood and I did heard a few car alarms go off a block away.

Whoever did that blew up another device 20 mins later that was not as big but still very loud and sounded similar.

By the way Big Baller, is that an old CD-rom drive you shot at?

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
M-1000s. I used to hear about those when I was a little kid, never had any first hand evidence of their existence, though. The one I heard last night could have possibly been something like that. I think that was the first time I've ever heard every car alarm go off at the same time. It seemed just about every house had 2 or 3 cars and they all had alarms, as did all those parked on the street. It was just like something you'd see in the movies.

Anybody else have or play with a carbide cannon last night? Directly executing link removed. See this post - Empath

jtice

Flashaholic
Only a couple here,
lot less than ussualy,
its sounded like a war here a couple times also.

I ussually let off a few with the 9mm, just to do it lol, I live in the middle of town.
Didnt this year, I was busy crawling in a cave. :green:

~John

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
It was foggy as heck around here, and everybody was setting off fireworks. We were also playing with the spotlights and strong flashlights, enjoying the great backscatter. Plenty of lasers out, too. Heck, it looked like a WW II air raid or something. All of us had at least two mortar kits, and it was great fun for about two hours.

The M-1000 thing: M-80, M-100, M-1000 are all generally 'marketing' buzzwords.

They are, of course, illegal to buy, and there really isn't any 'standardization' with them anymore.

In a nutshell, all commercial firecracker type devices have only 50 mg of flashpowder in them. The 'regular' firecrackers are limited to 50 mg, and so are the 'water dynamite,' M-80, and Silver Salute type of fireworks. If you ever take apart a modern 'M-80', you'll see that the fuse dead ends into a little 'gel' capsule of flashpowder, 50mg's. Everything else is dead space.

IIRC, you can go up to something like 126 mg flashpowder for airborne fireworks.

Now, the old 'real deal' M-80's had about 2-3 *grams* of flashpowder, or 2-3,000 mg of flashpowder. They are something else.

Also, in the illegal market, you can buy tubes bigger than the standard M-80 sized one. These are the M-500, M-1,000, M-5,000 and M-10,000 devices you hear about. The general idea is that the title denotes the charge of flashpowder. In other words, the M-500 has 500 mg of flashpowder, up to the M-10,000's 10 grams of flashpowder.

I have tried all of these, and they are nutz in the very larger sizes. I don't do that anymore, because there's too much danger involved, IMO.

Interestingly, once you establish a 'connection' to a provider of these, uh, less than legal devices, you can buy them as easily as candy.

I was so into it at one point, that I had identified a supplier of Philippino Lolo Thunder and Super Lolo type fireworks. The Super Lolo's were huge, and would crater the ground.

No more, though. I wanna keep my fingers, and my bucks are beginning to go toward flashlights. :grin2:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The next-door neighbour's children shot off a few low-level fireworks between midnight and 12:10 this morning; far less than they shot off last year.

I wanted to use my yellow-beam laser module at midnight, but forgot to do so even though it was sitting on the table right in front of me at 12:00am. :/

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Didn't hear any guns, but I did light off a few bottle rockets and smoke bombs for fun. I was probably one of the few people that did.(I live in a very liberal area that does not like guns)