Choosing a headlamp

Discman

Newly Enlightened
I have a few quries i need to make before choosing one. And i need help :help:

1) whats luxeon bulb actually? I know the difference in LED and incandancent bulb one cant penerate through fog their other can. So what is the difference between luxeon and incandancent?
2) I read up on quite a few headlamps that powered by AA but i was wondering can rechargable AA be used to power up as well(sanyo 2500mh)?

Now back to the choosing part :laughing: : most of the popular various brands has what it should have to satisfy my needs. And my needs is LED plus incandancent. LED meant for reading and tracking in the night whereas incandancent is meant to spot or caving. after searching flaslightreview, I come up with a few choices but not sure it capabilities in reality but at perform the same to me. Correct me if i am wrong. I am thinking of getting one of the following: Petzl Myo 5, Black diamond supernova, black diamond zenix IQ if i can clear the luxeon question

I hope to get a headlamp which powered by rechargable AA batt, the head lamp is light and easy to storage during bag packing, contains LED and incandancent, water resistant and comfortable in wearing.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF.

A well designed Luxeon LED has throw comparible to or better than some incan headlights. I understand that some but not many incan headlights may out throw a good LED but I don't know which ones or their beam quality. Good LED designs usually have better, artifact free, beams.

Advantages to good incans are better color rendering and depth perception when out in nature.

Good and confused now? There's so much to know and personal preferences also come into play when choosing a new light.

Good luck & have fun.

mrme

Enlightened
The Supernova has been discontinued. The Vectra IQ seems ot be its replacement.

I have a Supernova and it is my favorite headlamp. The reflector is textured, which is usually nice. When you need a lot of throw, it isn't. The real advantage of the BD is that they make regulated incadescents. The color from a properly regulated incadescent is awesome. Three light levels are nice, too.

The Petzl Myo headlamps have a much better focusing sstem when you need a lot of throw. The beam has a lot of artifacts in it, though. The morons at Petzl put the regulator on the LEDs in the myo 5 and left the incadescent unregulated. I hate the switching mechanism, but that is matter of personal prefrence. One other thing I dislike is that they are not assembled with screws, making them nearly impossible to take apart. I have had a few problems with mine and I don't really trust it all that much. The battery compartment is pretty cool, but I would hate to have to open or close it with cold hands. They are pretty nice lights and some people really like them.

One other worth mentioning is the PrincetoTec Yukon. I don't have one, but I do have a few of their bulbs. The bulb has a very nice color.

All should work well with NiMh.

Discman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks MRME for replying. Currently i am stuck with this two headlamps, vectra IQ and the myo 5. Both are equally priced but 1 is produced 2 years ago and the other recently. Both weighs the same, As for the yukon, if doesnt have any modes for the LED that one i omited it. Currently I am thinking of purchasing the myo 5 as it throws further but not that strong compared to IQ. ARghhh tough choice. Anyone knows for the myo5 the throw is good but whether is it strong or weak for the lighting? which one should i take, the IQ or myo 5

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Discman,

I will echo the welcome to CPF.

You might also take a look at the Yukon Extreme. It offers regulation in both incandescent and LED modes, long run time, and has a pretty good mix of throw and flood.

Tom

vtunderground

Enlightened
mrme said:
The Supernova has been discontinued. The Vectra IQ seems ot be its replacement.

A few places still have the Supernova in stock, and for decent prices (Cabelas has it on sale for $35.00).

cjdec

Newly Enlightened
Discman said:
. Anyone knows for the myo5 the throw is good but whether is it strong or weak for the lighting? which one should i take, the IQ or myo 5

My colleagues and I have extensive experience with the Myo lights. One thing to consider is that, while the incandescent is very bright with a fresh battery, it is unregulated so it dims continuously as the battery discharges. Thus the average throw isn't as good as the peak number indicates. If the IQ is regulated that could be a real advantage.

I'll probably never buy another unregulated headlamp.

Discman

Newly Enlightened
Good point there cjdec. I will take note of it. How about the IQ? is the incandcent regulated? longer maintaining power? any vectra IQ user? cjdec, when you use the myo5, which level of mode in the LED did you find comfortable in read in the night? how about the vectra IQ? I note that the low mode for the IQ output is 2+ and myo5 is 0.8.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used many different headlamps while backpacking and of all the lights that I used, I prefer the Petzel Myo XP by a large margin. The LED has a very far reaching beam of a good quality for spotting distant objects and the built in diffuser makes the light extremely useful for walking around, reading or other close up work.

I have not used a hybrid with an incandescent and LED's so I cannot compare. I can say that I am happy enough with the XP that I do not see the need for an incandescent lamp.

cjdec

Newly Enlightened
It's personal preference, but the lowest output on the Myo 5 is adequate for reading (almost any headlamp will be because the distance is so short). You might want to use the mid level LED setting for walking, though.

mrme

Enlightened
vtunderground said:
A few places still have the Supernova in stock, and for decent prices (Cabelas has it on sale for $35.00).
I did not see it on their website. Did you find it at a store or have they run out? The Supernova is a nice enough headlamp, I would like another one.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Wow, they must have sold out in the last two days. It was definitely on there when I posted last.

Karst Sports had it for like $20 a week or so ago, but they're sold out now too.

mrme said:
I did not see it on their website. Did you find it at a store or have they run out? The Supernova is a nice enough headlamp, I would like another one.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide on the Myo 5 let me know. I have a lightly used one for sale. I just bought a StenLight and can't see using it anymore.

-Dave J

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might consider the Princeton Tec Apex. It's one of the most advanced headlamps out there. It uses a Luxeon for throw and 5mm LEDs for wide angle. Although I think the Halogen on the Myo 5 throws better and has better spill at the same time.

-Dave J

Last edited: