What % of time do you use your lights vs. discussing them

What % of time do you use a light vs. discussing/researching/working on/etc.?

• 10% (1 hr of use for every 10 hrs of activity related non-use)

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • 30%

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 40%

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • 50% (use of lights equal to activity related non-use)

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 70%

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • 80%

• 90%

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 100% (pickup and use only, no CPFer would fit into this catagory)

• Total voters

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed these days I spend much more time reading and talking about flashlights then actually using them. Before joining CPF I simply used whatever flashlight I needed without giving it much of a second thought. Now these things have become a small hobby for me thanks to all of you who have made flashlights a new religion. I love to read all the detailed info I find here, plus I get to ask questions and learn, and occasionally I find I have something to contribute.

What I'm curious to see is how much of being a flashaholic is discussion, research, modding, etc. vs. actually using a flashlight, headlamp, laser, HID, etc. In my case I'd say for every 1 hour of actual use I'm spending about 5 hours of online time reading and posting. What do you think your percentages are?

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
I picked 30% however I was guessing. I was a little unclear as to the "using" part of the equation. I "use" lights even at times when they might not have been needed but helpful none the less. I can give an example; I work as a stock clerk in a factory and about half of the stockroom is poorly lit and some things are 30-40 feet in the air so I flash the BIN cards from my standup stacker to check if the numbers match up before pulling down a crate. I could just pull them down and look but makes more sense to me to try to see the part number first, the other stock clerks just pull them down.
Topper

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
30% for me also. I clearly have been spending too much time on the CPF otherwise my percentage would be closer to %100 use time. There are very few folks in my life to discuss lights with, but it does happen.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use two or more of my lights daily, like clockwork. Often I use my lights many times in one day. I check in here every few days.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less than 1% of the time I spend talking, 99% of the time using them.
Most people like to talk about thier Big cars and Houses

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked 40% but honestly, 20-30% is probably closer. I use lights all the time here and there... and if you include modding and testing time, it might be 40-50%. I spend a lot of time in a darkened garage and in a dark bathroom even when it's daylight out.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough call..
I use my lights all the time at/for work, and if I'm not working I am looking for ways to have better light. Not all my time on CPF is spent researching lights, I have gained knowledge on almost every aspect of my life here, photograpy, basic electronics, battery use and care (relivant to almost every consumer product), I often consult with the CPF community before making a major purchase. The sheer volume of people here can help assist in almost any decision, once you learn to read between the lines. :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted middle of the road. When there is nothing interesting to read on CPF, I play with my lights! :)

Brightboy1

Newly Enlightened
Before finding CPF a few months ago probably close to 90%, but now I am down around 10%. I seem to spend at least a half hour per day here. :)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It varies, I say my lights get use about 15 minutes each day and due to using dial-up, online time is extended. (I kinda like relaxing this way even if slow. ;) ) Reading this forum...maybe 30 minutes or so.

Topper

Flashaholic*
cratz2 said:
I picked 40% but honestly, 20-30% is probably closer. I use lights all the time here and there... and if you include modding and testing time, it might be 40-50%. I spend a lot of time in a darkened garage and in a dark bathroom even when it's daylight out.

Not sure about the garage thing but you might want to add more fiber and cowbell to your diet to help with other things.
Topper

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
missionaryman said:
I don't use anywhere near as much as I discuss - what a revealing poll, I think I need to spend more quality time in the dark

With a handle like yours I'm surprised your not ALWAYS in the dark.. :grin2:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topper said:
Not sure about the garage thing but you might want to add more fiber and cowbell to your diet to help with other things.
Topper

Man... the truth hurts!
icon11.gif

"I need MORE cowbell!"

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, who's the wiseguy who checked the 100% flashlight use to 0% CPF discussion? :ironic:

Was that you TORCH BOY? With 1,273 posts here on CPF you'd have to be sleeping with a lit flashlight in each hand to reach that 99% mark.:D

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I do alot of reading on CPF at work and when night falls, I play with my lights. This forum is such a great resource for me.