New 2006 Increases in Surefire Retail Prices

rookie

Enlightened
Did anyone else notice that the Surefire website has increased the prices for certain lights from yesterday? Some lights and also the batteries have gone up in price today.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't they raise their prices a year ago too? Guess it's good I'm not a Surefire fan.

Size15's

Flashaholic
:shrug: What's the big deal?
Here in the UK we have this thing called inflation and it's about 3% if I recall correctly. Every year things tend to get more expensive. Somethings more than others. Every year we tend to get pay increases of similar percent plus a bit extra if things are doing well.

I don't pretend to know anything much about the USA economy but I bet you guys have inflation too.

SureFire will continue to increase it's prices until people stop buying SureFire products. Since the trend continues to be more demand year on year and supply struggling to keep up there doesn't seem to be any need to force prices down.

People may say look at the increased competition - this brand and that brand but it doesn't appear to matter does it? Over the years the market has been "flooded" with many different "tactical" flashlights. Some of them actually not too bad. Not nearly enough to make a difference it seems. May be in 5-10 years things will be different?

We can get annoyed now but what's the point? People still buy SureFires faster than they can make them.

I'd have a problem with these price increases if SureFire was making huge profits for it's greedy shareholders but since Dr John Matthews isn't buying jet aircraft and speedboats - The profit is being invested right back into the company - into R&D - Investing in the future of the flashlight industry.

Al

carrot

Flashaholic
USD is worth less against other currency now.

Also, I don't notice any changes in pricing for the Personal Lights.

Last edited:

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I just checked Surefire's website and all looks normal to me. The battery prices are the same as they've always been (assuming we are talking about the box of 12 for $15). Plus all the personal lights and led lights look like the same price.

Maybe you could give us some examples of which lights seem to be priced higher today.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
iNDiGLo said:
I just checked Surefire's website and all looks normal to me. The battery prices are the same as they've always been (assuming we are talking about the box of 12 for $15). Plus all the personal lights and led lights look like the same price.

Maybe you could give us some examples of which lights seem to be priced higher today.

Well, I was going to order a box of 12 Surefire batteries today. The product page said $15, but when I added them to my shopping cart, the price went up to $21 for the box. I guess I'll buy BatteryStation or AmondoTech Titanium brand instead.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I think it's called +$6 for UPS (trackable on line if they email you the #) ground shipment. I think that same $6 might also apply for the 72 batt lot.
Edit: In CA they have to add 7.75% sales tax too. I get my 123s from SF and my CR2s from Batt Station. (And my Li14270s from AW. :green: )

Larry

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ikonomi said:
Well, I was going to order a box of 12 Surefire batteries today. The product page said $15, but when I added them to my shopping cart, the price went up to $21 for the box. I guess I'll buy BatteryStation or AmondoTech Titanium brand instead.

Yup. The batteries come up at $1.75 each instead of the listed $1.25 when you add them to your cart. Not cool. A mistake or a price increase that didn't make it to the listing? Either way they need to fix it. A 40% increase seems rather out of line.

Mark

Ikonomi

Enlightened
The $21 price is the subtotal before shipping is calculated (which, by UPS, is $4.99).

I guess they haven't yet updated all of their product summaries. I notice at second glance that the product page itself does say $21. The summary still says $15, though. *shrug*

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to order 2 boxes as well. I ordered 2 last week at the normal price. I am a Surefire fan, but I have to agree that a 40% increase is outrageous. If its a mistake they need to correct it immediately. A note noting any mistake would be nice too. Even if it is a mistake, having your price change after adding to your cart LOOKS real bad. Hope it gets sorted out.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Apologies, Ikonomi!!!! I just assumed... It just came up $27.62 including $1.63 tax and $4.99 shipping. I see Kevin's sales increasing!

Larry

carrot

Flashaholic
So, for the first Surefire surprise of the year, a price hike? I hope it's a mistake.

Speaking of which, when can we expect to see new lights? When does Surefire normally introduce new products during the year?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Yep! Their prices are rising. If you click on the 'Led Lights' link you'll notice the Surefire U2 is listed at $270. But if you click on its link to view details the price is $279.

OpticsHQ is your friend. :naughty:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I guess it is true. Its a rotten way to do it though. They should take their site or parts thereof offline until all new prices are reflected. Needless to say a 40% increase is way over the top. Their batteries are good....but really. There is alot of competition on batteries and this will not help them.

magic79

Enlightened
fieldops said:
There is alot of competition on batteries and this will not help them.

I agree...and I think there is even more to it than that. What is the #1 objection to Surefire lights from outside of the "CPF Community"? The price of batteries.

So, now, Surefire raises the price of batteries 40%...that will certainly erode into their market. I've always thought their battery sales at a good price was a brilliant marketing move. Now, it seems to me that this is as stupid of a marketing move as that was brilliant.

FYI: There are still a bunch of folks on eBay selling for the $18/dozen ballpark. I just grabbed a bunch (WITH shipping, it's less than Surefire wants for the batteries alone now)...you folks may want to do the same.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Happy New Year, prices go up that is life. I am happy with my SF lights but I see competition that also looks good and charging more for the batteries that were or used to be prefaced with the famous "we do not sell batteries to make money" guess they changed their minds. No problem I got other places that sell 123's and I use Pila's every where I can. I will live through this and the rest of you folks can to. I guess I may be looking elsewhere for cells. Is Kevin still up this late?? I can wait till morning.
Topper

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 40% increase on batteries is quite a bit.

Perhaps they no longer want to process battery only orders.

Or, they no longer want to sell batteries at all.:shrug:

Maybe the SF batteries were a loss leader that no longer payed off.:thinking:

On the other hand I just paid $24 for my personal favorite Streamlight 123's. Maybe SF is bringing their prices in line.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:
BrightGuy now has the Streamlight CR123 batts listed @ $18.95/dozen.

Is that also a slight price increase?

If it is, it is less than a dollar. The Streamlight batteries have been $18 and change for a dozen from Brightguy since I can remember.

-john