Peak Carribean vs Mediteranean

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Flashlight Reviews, the Mediteranean puts out more overall light than the Carribean, but the Mediteranean supposedly puts out more candle power. Is this right? Was there a mistake? Can anyone compare these lights for me?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Caribbean has a 3watt lux driven at 1.5 watts
The Mediterranean has a 1 watt lux driven at 1 watt, but it has a larger refector and lens giving it more throw.

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brasso said:
The Peak website says they're both 3w led's.
You're right, Peak says they are both 3watt, but Flashlightreviews says the Med. is a lux 1
That might have been an older version or just a mistake

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would there be any advantage to getting one in Cyan vs white as far as brightness goes?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Med uses a 3w LED. That's a typo on the flashlightreviews site. Cyan would seem brighter with dark-adjusted eyes.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak Mediterranean and Caribbean are, for all intensive purposes, the same light. They both use a Lux III driven at 1.5W...the only difference is that the Mediterranean uses a slightly larger bezel/reflector and as a result has better throw. Aside from that, both models use the same LED/driver. Like the Atlantic and Glacier Bay...the Atlantic is basically a Glacier Bay with a slightly larger bezel/reflector for better throw. They both use a Lux I with the same driver...hope that helps...

PJD

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will most likely get one of those two lights. Sorry, can't get both. While throw is nice, in a light that small, I prefer a lot of flood as well. Let's face it, if I needed to light up the other side of a football stadium I'd be using a different light all together. So, do they both have the same amount of spill or flood, or does the Mediteranean sacrafice flood for throw in comparison to the Carribean?

Also, I've never had a colored led light before. I was thinking of either cyan or purple, if those two lights are even offered in those colors. Any reason, other than color rendition, that those colors would be a bad choice compared to other colors or white?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i don't own both lights, so i can't say with certainty but from Quickbeam's numbers (www.flashlightreviews.com), the caribbean has a throw/output rating of 810/2480 to the mediterranean's 850/1850. just going by these numbers, i may be completely wrong but i think that one is sacrificing a lot of spill for a bit more throw. that said, however, it may be that dark adapted eyes won't notice the difference, or that the difference might be noticeable but not a problem. if your eyes are dark adapted, sometimes dimmer sidespill is more useful for close range stuff. agreed, if you want to light up the other side of a stadium, you'd be using a different light altogether.