7W Golston® 2xCR123A Waterproof Super Bright

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 7W Golston® 2xCR123A Waterproof Super Bright - $26.74 shipped from AxShop

One member liked this light enough to cause smilees to appear. I don't know about all that.

7Wattser Tred

Well, gentlemen, this is not what I would want. You don't have to look closely to see trash and goop everywhere. Garbage reflector. Phosphor image all weirded out in the reflector.

4.jpg

For those that may like this kind of stuff for curiousity sake, just go to one of the wish-I-was-a-manufacturer sites which would be where this pic came from. Tons of crap available.

szwholesale

Or you could contact Ax located 9 blocks south of the Canadian border and 2 blocks from Dayton Harbor in the most northwestern area of the US.

Office Address
435 Martin Street #3040
Blaine WA 98230

+1 (360) 450 - 5599
Customer Service
[email protected]

Note: Our office hour is Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm PST.
----------------------------------------------------

I'm getting a little weary being one of about two dozen defending us from crap. Hopefully a few more members will pick up the torch.

Last edited:

Radio

Modulated Moderator

I myself have waited a month for people to receive these and report back before ordering, junk is junk, just that and nothing else but the initial reports have been very positive so far and for this price I felt it was worthy of consideration. Please post any and all info related to this light and experiences with it. I am the last one that wants to see people waste money on junk. Thanks for the input Icebreak.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hear you, Radio. Let's see what happens.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Icebreak. That pic did not look good. I thought maybe it might be fun to play withone of those. Maybe I'll stick to my Inova's and Surefires. Even with Nuwai, I never got one like that...:ohgeez:

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

I've never heard of the Lumileds LED Matrix, i've just did a little search on the lumileds website and i came up empty handed. Can someone point me in the right direction for some info on this LED. Is it a new Lux IV type LED with multiple dies? Any info would be great, i must say that the current price of this light is rather tempting.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure where to post this but I just had a chance to try this light over at JimH's place. We compared it to a few of his surefires and a U2 and the Golston kicked butt. Decent white tint and tons of throw. I wish I brought my LUX meter as I bet it was 3000+ LUX. It didn't quite have the spill of the U2 but there was lots of nice usable spill and the hot center spot crushed the U2. It ran a lot cooler than the assorted Surefires we tested becase of a few heatsink fins on the top section. JimH said he measure 1.4amp draw!! Pretty kewl for > $30.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure if the coolness is a good sign for a light that runs at 1.4amp...the fins shouldn't cool it that much especially at the current level.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's possible my impression was incorrect as far as the actual light goes. Maybe it's like 5 Jupiters in a solar system. Did it look as ugly as the above pic? I'm still curious about the maker and the seller.

Comparative beamshots would be good to see.

Last edited:

Radio

Modulated Moderator

Yes, we need more info from the people that have already received these, I have one on the way and will report as soon as received.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also ordered one. $26 is money, but not that much. On any given day I can spend $1.07 on lunch (two tacos from the Green Burrito), or I can blow $10, and I'm satisfied either way. I waste money here and there, so and extra $26 bucks isn't going to kill me. At any rate, it'll probably make a good car light. If not for me, than I'm sure it'd be a huge step up as a car light for somebody else (family or friend), so not much of a loss.

As far as the maker goes..... Well, I don't know if stamping "Golston" on the light was such a great idea. I've bought some Golston CR123's in the past and have found they are not capable of maining the high amperage draw of the p61 for more than a couple of minutes (until the light suddenly sags into nothingness). I supposed the batteries are probably alright for many electronic applications, but for some they just don't hold up. Now, I don't know if Golston is the actual maker of the light (or even if they make their own batteries), but I hope the light is better than the batteries are! (although, most likely 99% of the people in the world who might use the Golston batteries would never use them in an application that would make them fail, and would probably have a good impression of the company).

Jim H's and Cromagnet's reports are making me even more curious, which as least gives the interim between now and it's arrival a little bit of excitement. As long as the light turns on, I'm not going to cry. (It better not have any goop on the reflector, though!)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Icebreak said:
One member liked this light enough to cause smilees to appear. I don't know about all that.

7Wattser Tred

Well, gentlemen, this is not what I would want. You don't have to look closely to see trash and goop everywhere. Garbage reflector. Phosphor image all weirded out in the reflector.

4.jpg

For those that may like this kind of stuff for curiousity sake, just go to one of the wish-I-was-a-manufacturer sites which would be where this pic came from. Tons of crap available.

szwholesale

You would be a little more believable if that were a picture taken with you holding the light instead of a picture from a web site.

Golston may or may not have a QC problem, but the light I received is very nice indeed. Fit, finish, and beam quality are on a par with the Fenix and the Jil lights not a trace of "trash or goop".

As far as total light and especially throw goes, the Golston 7w blows away my McGizmo PRT 917 L2 (which is a real thrower).

And just for the record, I still get
Sen_Smilewide.gif
Sen_Smilewide.gif
Sen_Smilewide.gif
every time I turn it on.

LEDite

Enlightened

I think it is a 5W Luxeon overdriven.

I posted a picture of the LED on another thread I started:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1192353#post1192353

I am using the light with a 2230mah 18650 lithium cell drawing about 650 ma.

If you want more lumens, you can use reg 123's or even overdrive with rechargable 123's @ 2 AMPS !!!

I like the light and the throw is better compared to my 4W Quicksilver III.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

al2k

Newly Enlightened

LEDite said:
...even overdrive with rechargable 123's @ 2 AMPS !!!
Hey, I was going to ask you about that since in your other thread you stated "I checked the current with the bats @4.2V and found it was too high @ almost 2 amps (thats where the 7W came from)" - now that wouldn't be 16W rather than 7W (maybe I'm missing something here) if 4.2V x 2 (two cells) = 8.4V x 2 Amps = 16.8 Watts. Or maybe you meant 2 Amps adjusted for 4.2V (actual measurement of 1 Amp @ 8.4V with the two cells) and then that means 8.4W? Thanks!

Also, anyone have any ideas how long a Lux V might last being overdriven to 8 Watts? I'm hoping to drive one of these with two slightly run down (less than 4V) RCR123's...

LEDite

Enlightened

AL2K;

For the proper current (~700ma), you would need a resistor on two 3V 123 cells (standard or rechargable).

Or you could lower the current slightly with a 17670 lithium cell (~610ma).

Or you could bore it out 1 mm and use the 18650 2230ma cells that I like for my lights (~650ma). That is the way to go in my opinion.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened

Well, I just received mine in the mail yesterday (from Dae) and :wow: - I am very, very pleased with it! None of that goeey yellow stuff on the reflector; that picture does it injustice - mine was clean as a whistle and the reflector was nice and shiny.

Comparing it with the 3W BOG, I found they had identical-sized hotspots and spill but the Golston's hotspot and spill were both brighter and whiter. Compared with the Quicksilver V (also known as the Varibrite 5L) which I received this morning, the Golston beat it comfortably. The QS had a more diffused beam, a brighter spill-beam and a slightly darker centre typical of a 5W while the Golston had a very bright and distinct hotspot surrounded by a dimmer but very usable spill (similar to comparing the Nuwai Q3 with the Fenix L1P). The die on the Golston is also smaller than that of the QS. All the above leads me to suspect that the Golston is an over-driven 3w luxeon. Not that I mind since it is presently my brightest and farthest throwing led light.

On the negative side, the only thing to note is that it does Not accept Aw's protected 17670s because of the added width of the conducting strip. You will need to use unprotected 17670s.

Construction-wise, the Golston is very well made (with a pleasant surprise - see below) with double o-rings at the head as well as the tail The bezel comes off to allow you to use it in candle-mode.

Finally, the icing on the cake! The tail-cap on the Golston fits the 6P perfectly! For less than $30, you can have a fully functioning clickie for the 6P...and as a bonus, you also get to keep the light!

Don't wait, folks. I am about to get another one!

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

I checked but they are out now. Have to check Dae's site. Might be worth looking at for that price.

Fletch888

Newly Enlightened

JimH said:
... the light I received is very nice indeed. Fit, finish, and beam quality are on a par with the Fenix and the Jil lights not a trace of "trash or goop".

As far as total light and especially throw goes, the Golston 7w blows away my McGizmo PRT 917 L2 (which is a real thrower).

And just for the record, I still get
Sen_Smilewide.gif
Sen_Smilewide.gif
Sen_Smilewide.gif
every time I turn it on.

Fellow flashlight freak checking in.
I've been lurking a bit.

You guys talked me into it, and I just ordered one at Dae's site.
Came to $30 & change.
Any idea how long it takes to ship?

Thanks folks.
New bright flashlights are almost as cool as new guns.

:rock: