to surefire or not to surefire that is the question.

Should I get a surefire 6p

• Hell yes

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • NOOOOOOOOO

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rocka89

Newly Enlightened
I am having trouble deciding if I should get a surefire or not, I am going to get a 6p if I do get a surefire. I am not a flashaholic far from it I think. I own a Minimag and I personally lean towards mags as apposed to any other flashlight. I just don't know if I should buy a surefire or not. So I decided to poll you guys.

Things to take into consideration:

The cost of a surefire : (

The fact it runs on 123A batteries : (

The fact it comes in gunmetal gray : )

The fact that it's the best flashlight maker : )

The fact I wouldn't use it that much : (

the poll ends tomorrow

:buddies: HAPPY NEW YEARS :buddies:

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
If you're not sure if you want a Surefire 6P i'd recommend the following...

Hopefully you can find a local Surefire dealer where you can go purchase a 6P. Most places have a 30 day return policy. Keep your receipt and just use the light and compare its size and features against the other lights you have. I think once you see one 'in person' and can actually use one you'll end up keeping it.

If the 6P is a bit expensive for you then consider the Surefire G2. Its the same light as the 6P just in a Nitrolon body and cost is around $34.

Either light is an excellent entry level high-end light and certainly better that the output you're currently getting from your M@gs.

Good Luck with your choice and let us know what you decide. :wave:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably won't be very sure you really wanted you first Surefire until after you get it. The 6P is an excellent choice. Has all of the attributes that make a Surefire a Surefire.

Nothing wrong with Mags, but you will find your MM is not even on the same planet as the 6P.

Don't overlook iNDiGLo's suggestion of the G2. Except for the body material and Lexan lens, the same light as the 6P. IMO, one of the best bargains going in flashlights.

If you do decide your really not that impressed with the SF they are easy to sell here. Also, the lithium power makes them great for keep in you car glovebox lights.

Bet you'll like it. You say you're not a flashaholic. (YET!)

Mark

carrot

Flashaholic
I was once biased towards metal lights. How could a plastic light offer the reliability and durability I expected from a metal light? The Surefire G2 Nitrolon proved me wrong, and now I see the light (hehe). It also solidified my interest in flashlights. Don't discount the G2 just because it's plastic -- it feels impressively rigid and will shrug off dents and scrapes better than a 6P. And it's cheaper. Now that I have a Surefire I am finding all sorts of excuses to use my trusty G2.

You can order a Surefire from OpticsHQ for much less than shown on the Surefire site by applying the discount as shown here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1133154&postcount=11 but you need to order at least $50 worth for your first order from them. 6P is $45 from them, G2 is $27.

You will not regret buying a Surefire -- any Surefire will blow away a Minimag, easily. You might regret getting addicted to lumen power trips, though.

Rocka89

Newly Enlightened
wow I post this and an hour later there were 21 votes...most of them saying I should get one...I dislike the G2 because I worked with high end plastic lights that cost me in between 20-30 bucks and I didnt enjoy the plasticy feal compaired to a metal light...if that made any sence

carrot

Flashaholic
If you have the chance to try out both the 6P and the G2, make sure you do.

Either is a great choice, though. It's still a Surefire!

Rocka89, what high-end plastic lights have you worked with previously?

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Just a brief word of caution:

Should you buy the 6P it will likely not be the last Surefire you ever purchase unless you possess exceptional self control :devil: :devil: :devil:

Good Luck,
Tim

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I had both a 6P and G2 and end up re-selling the 6P. I kept the G2 because I felt it was more durable for everyday use. Nitrolon or whatever plastic Surefire uses is pretty tough stuff.

Not all "plastic" lights are created equal.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Rock, welcome to CPF.

Now...

Before we re-invent the wheel, just use the Search function to research "Surefire... Are they really worth it?" etc. There's a recent, thorough, and lengthy thread here on this whole issue. It'll cover all your questions.

I own a buncha Mags, too, but most CPFers -- after having done a lot of homework and "field testing" -- have moved waaay beyond them. In addition, your trepidation re CR123 lithium batteries is understandable, but not warranted.

Right now, the way your inquiry is posed, it strikes me like a patient asking his doctor whether he should have (a) an appendectomy or (b) brain surgery. Kinda depends on where it hurts, doesn't it?

Focus on the TASK -- what you want this Illumination Tool FOR. That mindset, combined with your own patient homework, will lead you to a sound decision.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I also started off trying to decide between the 6P and G2, i went the cheap route and got the G2 to start, agonized over it, and eventually took the CPF mantra ("Buy Both") to heart and picked up a 6P as well, i *liked* the heft of the aluminum body, the durability of the Pyrex window, the 6P just "felt right"....

but you know, i've been using the G2 more often (especially now with the G&P 3 Watt Luxeon drop-in lamp, i'm not as paranoid about burning up the batteries), and the 6P has been "riding shotgun" in my belt holster, i won't get rid of the 6P, as it's a "nicer" light than the G2, but i tend to grab the G2 more often due to the durable feel of the Nitrolon (and this is coming from someone who *HATES* "plastic" lights)

either the 6P or G2 are excellent starter lights, but be warned, just like a certain famous brand of potato chips, with SureFire, "Betcha Can't Own Just One™" ;)

personally, i think (hope) that these two SF's will satisfy my SF-Lust, primarily because the other popular SF light, the E2 Executive series, just doesn't do it for me, the light feels too light and "delicate", and the lamps are *marginally* less powerful than the "classic" SF lights (6P, Z2, C2, G2, etc...), the Executive series bulbs max out at 60 lumens, the "classic" lights *start* at 65 lumens and can take the 120 lumen P61

yes, the Executive series are more modular and are available in a Mil-Spec HA III anodizing, but i'm more of a "no replacement for displacement" kinda' guy, and the classic lights to me represent the best bang for the buck, at the expense of fit, finish, and cosmetics

then again, i am in the minority here, the number of people who like the Exec series outnumber the ones who are neutral on it

to get back on subject here, go to your local SureFire dealer, try the 6P and G2 and see which one feels right to you

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
Rocka89 said:
I am having trouble deciding if I should get a surefire or not, I am going to get a 6p if I do get a surefire. I am not a flashaholic far from it I think. I own a Minimag and I personally lean towards mags as apposed to any other flashlight. I just don't know if I should buy a surefire or not. So I decided to poll you guys.

Things to take into consideration:

The cost of a surefire : (

The fact it runs on 123A batteries : (

The fact it comes in gunmetal gray : )

The fact that it's the best flashlight maker : )

The fact I wouldn't use it that much : (

the poll ends tomorrow

:buddies: HAPPY NEW YEARS :buddies:

all those points are secondary once you see the output from a 6P + KL3 head :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
TonkinWarrior said:
Right now, the way your inquiry is posed, it strikes me like a patient asking his doctor whether he should have (a) an appendectomy or (b) brain surgery. Kinda depends on where it hurts, doesn't it?

Focus on the TASK -- what you want this Illumination Tool FOR. That mindset, combined with your own patient homework, will lead you to a sound decision.

:twothumbs TokinWarrior! IMO, we've developed the bad habit of dashing out recommendations left and right, instead of asking first "what do you want this light for?" :) A SF 6P won't be a good purchase if I'm looking for a reading light. :crazy:

While we're at it, how about spending some time (if you haven't yet) at theledmuseum.org and flashlightreviews.com Both are hosted by CPF'ers, and are excellent sources of information.

Rocka89

Newly Enlightened
well this poll took off with a bang.

someone asked what plastic lights I used. I used every Dorcy knowen to man before I fell in love with mags.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a 6P and several G2's. There's a G2 in my coat pocket and that gets used pretty much every day. I consider the 6P to be a bit sturdier and it's in my FatBoy or handy in a go-to bag when I think things are going to call for it.

The G2's are very, very good lights. The 6P is one of my al time fav's.

BTW, mine's gunmetal gray. :naughty:

carrot

Flashaholic
I doubt Dorcy plastic is even comparable to Surefire Nitrolon. I don't remember having handled any Dorcy's though.

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
SF lights are so overpriced that most of them aren't worth it. The biggest exception to this would probably be the M3. It's reasonably small and probably has the highest size/light output ratio available. It's also one of the most durable flashlights on the market (it's kinda like the Glock handgun). The light output with the MN11 is awesome. Plus you can use the Pila rechargeable batteries with it as well, so you can consider it a rechargeable flashlight that can use 123's if needed.

Most SF LED's are pretty cool too, but so far not worth the extra money in comparasion to the competition. The upcoming E2D LED seems like it might be another exception though :)