Dell Printer Cartridges

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if anybody besides Dell sells cartridge replacements for Dell printers? Can the old ones be refilled? Man, Dell wants over $70.00 for a replacement cartridge for my Dell A940 printer/scanner!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think thats a lexmark X5150. but im not sure if they will work in it

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I read something like most Dell printers are rebranded Lexmarks but the printer cartridges have like little extra plastic spacers or something to prevent using $15 Walmart-bought Lexmark cartridges to be used in the Dells.

A few months ago, I fixed a map program on a lady's Dell computer. While I was there, she asked if I knew of a cheaper place to buy Dell cartridges. The ones for her printer were like $45 for the black. I told her to go to Walmart, but they cheapest Lexmark printer for like $29 and a spare high cap cartridge for $44 plus tax.

It's a damned shame when you can buy a brand new comparable printer and a spare cartridge for less than the cartridge itself just because it has a certain name on it... but think of how many people will line up and buy those cartridges at the full asking price.

thinking.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad has a Dell all-in-one printer. He got it a couple of years ago for around $250. Anyway, Sam's club now sells the same exact Lexmark printer for $99 (only it has a different body color). I assumed the cartridges would work, but now I'm wondering (after reading cratz2's post). They're still pretty expensive though. I think Sam's club had the cartridges for $48 for 2 black, or $58 for 1 black and 1 color.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to eBay to buy them. My printer cartridges are expensive too but I buy them on eBay now for much less. Try it.:)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I refill the cartridge on my Lexmark printer all the time. It works especially well for black. I can print at least 500 pages before the cartridge finally clogs.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChocolateLab33 said:
Go to eBay to buy them. My printer cartridges are expensive too but I buy them on eBay now for much less. Try it.:)

Being an avid eBay junkie, I looked for the cartridges for the printer I was talking about... the cheapest I saw over about a month period was about $35 plus shipping compared to $45 direct from Dell.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
HMMMM.......I may be wrong but I thought I saw 2 for sale for that price + shipping. Don't quote me on that........

turbodog

Flashaholic
You got a printer for a deeply discounted price. Are you surprised the consumables are higher? Even after paying for them, the total cost of the printer is still in line with the competition for most users.

Pay the money to dell and find something more fun to do with your time other than trying to save 5 bucks.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
You got a printer for a deeply discounted price. Are you surprised the consumables are higher? Even after paying for them, the total cost of the printer is still in line with the competition for most users.

Pay the money to dell and find something more fun to do with your time other than trying to save 5 bucks.

Actually, my dad payed more than double what the exact same lexmark branded printer sells for at Sam's Club. I think that's more of a severely inflated, rather than a deeply discounted price. I think 03lab is right about the ebay cartridge prices. I checked 'em out earlier tonight, after reading her post, and I did see some very good deals. The prices I saw were around 40% cheaper.

Trying save 5 bucks is actually somewhat fun, BTW. I know that, for some, it's an absolute thrill.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my hp mulit function printer was 50 bucks i like it but i sure hope i can refill the ink

turbodog

Flashaholic
Trashman said:
Actually, my dad payed more than double what the exact same lexmark branded printer sells for at Sam's Club. I think that's more of a severely inflated, rather than a deeply discounted price. I think 03lab is right about the ebay cartridge prices. I checked 'em out earlier tonight, after reading her post, and I did see some very good deals. The prices I saw were around 40% cheaper.

Trying save 5 bucks is actually somewhat fun, BTW. I know that, for some, it's an absolute thrill.

Ok, hold up. Why was this thing purchased in the first place then?

I feel sorry for you guys, but I don't have any sympathy either. It that wrong? Am I insane?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
Ok, hold up. Why was this thing purchased in the first place then?

I feel sorry for you guys, but I don't have any sympathy either. It that wrong? Am I insane?

My dad wanted a complete, ready to run system from Dell, complete with their warranty and all. He bought the whole system at one time with money he won in the lottery. Dell told him the whole system would come ready to run after a simple setup. That was all he needed to know to purchase what he did.

Another thing, I saw replacement cartridges for the printer Gene mentioned in the first post on ebay. He said Dells price was $70. Ebay's shipped price was $80 for 2 black, 2 color. That's almost half price.

We aren't looking for sympathy, we are helping each other out.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa! I didn't mean to cause such a stir! I did what trashman's dad did and ordered a complete Dell system for cheap a couple of years ago.

I had always heard that Dell's printer cartridges had a chip in them and if you tried to use another brand, Dell computers would reject them.

Thanks for all the info my friends but do any of you know FOR SURE that the others will work?