3W Luxeon vs. 5W Luxeon ?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading threads about relative throw of 3W vs. 5W so I thought I would ask for a more descriptive comparison so I could understand better.

When I first started at CPF I read a lot about the "space needle" conversion which lead me to believe that the 5W was a serious performer, but in reading flashlightreviews.com I would think that the 5W can't throw very well. The numbers for the Streamlight TL-3 LED aren't very good, while the incan. version is a real good performer. So exactly how do these 2 Luxeons compare?

I've seen references to the larger die size of the 5W, so is the result that it throws a larger spot which causes the output to be spread out more than with the 3W? What kind of beam does a space needle clone really throw, compared to something I'm familiar with such as a Pelican M6 LED?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, throw is still largely a function of reflector design, diameter and depth. A Lux V in a Mag reflector will still throw quite a bit. If max total output, then something like the WX0S Lux V would be very nice but if ultimate throw is what you are after, then a U-bin Lux III is the way to go. It will also give better runtime and better LED lifetime.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux III emitters are cheaper and accept wider user errors. The majority of hobbyists and manufacturers use Luxeon III emitters.

The Lux V is a brighter, bigger, and more expensive emitter. Because the Lux V emitter is bigger, it allows less error when it is put in a light.

The Lux III success rate for making a useable light favors the Lux III emitter. The Lux V will give the brightest light if it is focused properly.

The Lux V light is a much better light IMO.

alephthrow18lc.jpg

The first two pictures show the difference between a Lux III and V emitter. Both emitters were dropped into the same type of reflector. The Lux III beam is more focused. It has more throw. The Lux V light shows more beam output but not as much throw light.

alephthrowth23qv.jpg

The second picture gets interesting. This is the battle of the unobtainium emitters. A Lux III, UX1J, and a Lux V, XX1S emitters fight for beam domination.

Indeed, the Lux III beats the previous two lights easily. It has more light output. It has more throw and a richer spill beam. By itself it would be the champion of the three lights.

Now add in the Lux V unobtainium light. The reflector is bigger to collect and concentrate the beam. The emitter is carefully focused to the 'hot spot' in the reflector. The other lights look pale in comparison. The Lux V has very close to the same throw beam as the UX1J light. The Lux V throw beam is wider. You can see the output is much more than a couple of Lux III emitters. The bigger Lux V, I don't think I have to tell you, has a gorgeous spill beam. If the reflector was deeper and narrower I would have no doubt the Lux V beam would easily double the throw of the Lux III lights.

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
that luxV mod is sick! I think thats going to inspire my new truck light!

Thanks!