Anyone into Airsoft/AEG's??

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
A co-worker is starting to get hooked and I find myself having some interest also. Doesn't really seem to be any real place in my area to play with others. Lots of paintball fields though. I had my fill of that years ago, played several years, hmm, will save all that for another thread.

Am not really thinking about getting all into team play, just plinking in the backyard. So I've been reading up on it.
Now I have had two airsoft pistols, single shot spring jobbies, but some of the stuff I"m reading...
Do they really shoot 80-120 feet?
Not sure if I want a pistol or rifle. Probably pistol. Don't want gas op, electric sounds good. Would be willing to spend up to $50 on decent plinker. What about the rifles in that price range?
Sorry, but I am not willing to spend 4-5 hundred bucks on an airsoft. I have real steel in that price range that expel lead not plastic. Plus its not worth it for me just plinking.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
a good electric gun runs in the 250-300 range. for 50 dollars look at spring rifles. the UTG guns are pretty popular and decent quality

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
For a decent plinker, a spring rifle would be fine. Or if you could get one of those higher quality spring pistols also. some thing like http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AP-KA-90120.htm would be your best bet I think. You can't get a good gas gun for 50 bucks. Even if you had more I would stay away from them, They always seem to break way before any other gun.

Most electric pistols that use common alkalines are way underpowered.

Most spring rifles are ok quality and accuracy. The pistol that I showed you before is the high end of springers, and it will shoot as hard as most spring rifles.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
For $50, you'd pretty much just be throwing away your cash.... A $50 springer is expensive and $50 AEG will more than likely be shooting at a low FPS or will not last long at all. Airsoft is still an underground sport, I'm sure if you start playing you'll probably find that there are some places to play nearby. If you really want to plink, nothing will beat a real gun. Grab a box of 22's and have at it :).

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Find a "Game and Adventure Store" in your area. It's the kind of place in a strip mall that usualy has a mix of RPG "Dungeons & Drangons" games & books, trading/game cards, wizard statues and LOTR swords, and Airsoft/Paintball stuff.

The stores are often informaly or formally affiliated with Airsoft skirmish groups. Games aren't hard to find, you just have to ask. So start by asking the staff at the stores, the better organized groups often have flyers or a bulliten board notice at the stores. The games are just not commercial (and thus advertised) like the established paintball fields, yet.

Ideally, you want to find a group that's a bit older in makeup to ensure some level responsibility. The one I played with had a group that ranged from late-teens to guys in their 40's. Be sure that they have somewhere private (where they have permission!) and secluded/safe to play. The local SWAT team descending apon "Terrorist training" in the city park is all to common a tale on the net, so be sure you're with people who use their heads.

Quality airsoft stuff looks 100% real, so you want to be in a controled environment where you won't scare the bejeezus out of people.

My group had an unused old leather tannery complex to play in. One player worked there as a carpenter for a small furniture factory that only used one (big) room. His boss gave the group permission to use the unused rooms and warehouses for play on weekends. It was an awsome place full of large warehouse rooms, hallways, and had all sorts of nooks crannies and windows because it had been added onto in such a hodge-podge fasion over the years. We designed all sorts of senarios and games. The boss/owner also let us drag around scrap wood, and things like unused pallets to make barricades and change the layout of the game.

We played games like "VIP protection". Downed Airman vs. enemy. vs. extraction team. Basic capture the flag. "Amoeba" (get shot, switch sides), CQB entry. One guy had a friend who was home from the Marines in Iraq, and he hung out a few times to teach some basics from his own MOUNT (urban combat) training of how to move and cover etc. (I missed those games. :( )

Much cheaper and much more fun than paintball if you can find a good group.

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
I need a little help myself. My son's Birthday is tommorrow and I got him a couple electric rifles. I am putting a M83A2 together and I do not see anything about how long the cell should charge, of course it came with a blasted wall wort but it has a red led on it so I can tell it apart. Will it turn green or do I just charge it for a couple hours or what? Thanks in advance if someone has a clue on this. I also got a AK47 look alike bet it has the same lousy instructions. Edit> I bought 3 on Ebay for about 175.00 (I got one for me so in 6 months 1 will still work) They are selective fire full size.)end edit
Topper

Last edited:

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkcobra said:
If you really want to plink, nothing will beat a real gun. Grab a box of 22's and have at it :).

LOL, thats what my 2 Rugers and the Marlin are for. But it upsets the neighbors when I start shooting in the backyard, hence the lean towards airsoft.
Appreciate all the info, but like I said just looking for some plinking in the backyard so am not too worried about something that one would use running thru the brush.
But those M4's and MP5's do look rather enticing:xyxgun: :naughty:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Nice to see a topic on this here. I've been slowly but surely getting my airsoft stuff. First one I bought was a KWA G19 (Glock 19) Gas blow back. VERY nice gun. I don't suggest keeping gas in the mag if you change altitude though. Found that out the hard way after taking my gun up to the desert with gas still in it...all the seals started leaking because of the pressure change. My mag won't hold gas now. But it's still an awesome gun...and quite real looking. If it weren't for the orange on the tip it would look 100% real.

I have an AEG similar looking to the AK-47 (not sure what the actual make and model is...bought it used). I like the fully automatic feature.

AJ...sounds like you had an AWESOME place to play in. The group out here has some private property to play on. I think the warehouse would offer so many different possibilities for skirmishes compared to an outdoor venue. I'm jealous.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Don't be too jealous. I haven't been able to play in over a year.

My "real" shooting, trap, pistol, vintage military bolt action matches, has suffered the same fate too..

Double-double (quadruple) whammy in the past eighteen months.

www.walkowiaks.com :D

(Makes being a newfound flashaholic hard too.)

I'm praying at least one of them is somewhat of a "tomboy".

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I just bought my first airsoft rifle, a G36E, on Ebay. I've been interested in them for a while, but didn't see paying the $300 or more for a Tokyo Marui version. The ones now on Ebay are $26! I don't suppose they are going to be the same build quality, but mine is just for playing around. Has anyone bought one of the new AEG rifles on Ebay, and what is your impression of them compared to a TM or Classic Army version? Thanks!

Vee3

Enlightened
I've looked into airsoft quite a bit over the past several years. I've found that the cheap ones are really cheesy, and the so-called "good" ones are just WAY too expensive. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I have however recently bought a few older ('30s - '60s) bb guns that are nice for backyard plinking. I've been into airguns all my life and hadn't thought much about bb guns (Since I was about 10 years old, anyway), leaning more towards pellet guns (Of which I have about 30). Looking at the old Daisy and Crosman bb guns compared to the airsoft stuff though, there's no comparison. All metal and wood, higer velocity/energy than airsoft, just as quiet. I recently bought an old Daisy 102-36 from the '50's for about $50 at an online auction. Still works fine, and parts are available. Shoots about 375 fps according to my chrono and holds 500 bbs. Load up and shoot all day for pennies. I also have an old Crosman that's a copy of an M1 carbine that's very nice.